Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

dtpc191991 wrote: »
    This is what worries me. All these players have had access to good backs coaches and no how to run support plays. Why dont they bring that to the national side? Why do they persist with Kidney's gameplan which clearly does not work? They are the ones on the field so there is no excuse for them to not go "stuff this" and just play some god damn rugby for once.

If the rumours are true about the trouble Reddan got in in the past for going against Kidneys gameplan then I can see why players just do what they're told.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Fireball07 wrote: »

They looked reasonably good in attack (a lot better than some of their efforts in recent years) but their defence still wasn't great. Should be closer against SA, but I don't think they'll beat them.

Thats true but the AB can tear anyone apart.
    If they reproduce that display i think they'll win. I also think Argentina will beat us handy enough as well

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭dtpc191991

Foxtrol wrote: »

If the rumours are true about the trouble Reddan got in in the past for going against Kidneys gameplan then I can see why players just do what they're told.

Hmm forgot about tht. -_- Funny from what I remember tht game was England 2011, the one truly good performance post 2009.

Ireland drop to 8th in the WC rankings.

Good job DK!

http://www.irb.com/rankings/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Heroditas

dtpc191991 wrote: »
    Hmm forgot about tht. -_- Funny from what I remember tht game was England 2011, the one truly good performance post 2009.

The second test against New Zealand as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

Fireball07 wrote: »

Hmm...not sure I agree. Against someone like Argentina, I'd much rather have POC than not have him.

And even against SA, POC has always been excellent at disrupting oppositon mauls and directing the pack in dealing with them. And considering that was probably SA's main attacking threat (and they scored a try from it), I think we did miss him at the weekend.

Hope he recovers soon, these re-occurring injuries are worrying me :(

I'm a massive POC fan but I honestly don't think he would have put in a shift like Macca did. We missed his leadership in the pack and his direction, which Heaslip did miserably, poor organisation and never led from the front. I don't necessarily blame Heaslip, he is 3rd or 4th choice leader for Leinster and it was a big jump up to lead Ireland, especially the state of the squad at the moment.
    I would love to see Macca and POC together with Ryan coming on with 20mins to go. A fit team could see Cronin, Strauss, Ryan and POM all come on with 20 to go which could make a massive difference for us. Add someone like Marshall for the scrumhalf and it would be brilliant.
    On a more related note to this reply I think POC will be forced to retire soon...and I think BOD will be the same. A lions tour for both would be a dream send off

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Heroditas wrote: »
    The second test against New Zealand as well.

and Australia in the RWC

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

and Australia in the RWC

Both of those matches, for me, were won because of our physicality and conditions. I don't think we looked like opening either side up, tactically anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

Are any of our injured players likely to be available for the Argentina game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Are any of our injured players likely to be available for the Argentina game?

No.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭clsmooth

d-gal wrote: »
    I'm a massive POC fan but I honestly don't think he would have put in a shift like Macca did. We missed his leadership in the pack and his direction, which Heaslip did miserably, poor organisation and never led from the front. I don't necessarily blame Heaslip, he is 3rd or 4th choice leader for Leinster and it was a big jump up to lead Ireland, especially the state of the squad at the moment.
    I would love to see Macca and POC together with Ryan coming on with 20mins to go. A fit team could see Cronin, Strauss, Ryan and POM all come on with 20 to go which could make a massive difference for us. Add someone like Marshall for the scrumhalf and it would be brilliant.
    On a more related note to this reply I think POC will be forced to retire soon...and I think BOD will be the same. A lions tour for both would be a dream send off

BOD has been pretty much injured since before the HC final in 2011. I think this will be his last season. POC is worrying too-he's been on and off injured since 2010. It's a pity as he's not particularly old for a second row.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

No.

Might be a good thing really. If we can get this squad a bit more game time, and ideally a win, the return of the likes of O'Brien, Kearney and O'Driscoll would be a nice boost going into the six nations.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭goreyguy

Injury is forcing kidney to develop players and give guys time.

It's what we need to do anyway but kidney will only do when he has no other option.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Reddan doubtful for Fuji game with ankle injury

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭goreyguy

Quint2010 wrote: »

Hopefully that means Marshall to start

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Quint2010 wrote: »

Call up Marshall!

Burgo wrote: »
    Call up Marshall!

He's in the squad.

If Marshall doesn't start we'll see him get a few minutes at the end... I hope he starts tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Setting up well for a potential Jackson/Marshall partnership. You can't be sure what you're going to get with Kidney, but with Reddan out it's a lot more of a possibility.

Tox56 wrote: »
    Setting up well for a potential Jackson/Marshall partnership. You can't be sure what you're going to get with Kidney, but with Reddan out it's a lot more of a possibility.

Yeah, I suppose TOL is just a phone call away.... ;)

Ulster are playing this weekend surely Kidney isn't going to use ulstermen in a non capped game. Or maybe he'll name an all ulster XV for funsies

I'm not even going to guess what Kidney will do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Just fantastic to see how good the new faces played... this is what we need DK, everyone of them stepped up and put the effort in, well done to all.
    Would rather see that anyday of the week than the same old tired faces who got beat last week.

Imagine a crazy world where players got treated as their club form deserves, irrespective of their name or province....ahhhh.

C'mon DK and IRFU... we need an injection of youth, desire and form... with a dash of adventure.

I would love a backline of Marshall, Jackson, McSharry, Cave, TOH, Gilroy and Zebo. One can dream I suppose.
    A pack of Kilcoyne, Cronin, Bent, DOC, Tuohy, Muldoon, McLaughlin and Henderson would be handy as well. I don't know who will play 7 for us. Muldoon has done for Connacht but not to great effect

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Having an Ulster halfback and centre pairing (Marshall, Jackson, L Marshall and Cave) would give the backline a better chance of clicking for a one-off game, but then again McSharry has earned a chance. As long as we get something resembling that I'll be happy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭clsmooth

I'd almost put money on a Redden-ROG partnership. Depressing really

Having an Ulster halfback and centre pairing (Marshall, Jackson, L Marshall and Cave) would give the backline a better chance of clicking for a one-off game, but then again McSharry has earned a chance. As long as we get something resembling that I'll be happy

What's the bets we will see a 9/10/12 axis of Murray, ROG and McFadden?!

That would be positive since McFadden hasn't had any game time at 12 for Ireland. Which give that its his best position is a little odd imo.

But the 9/10 would terrify me and not in a good way

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

You know what, I'd be delighted to see Ferg at 12 whatever about the half backs. He's been fecked about the back line a lot at Leinster and Ireland but 12 is his best position. McSharry and Marshall would be worth a look too, but if any one of those 3 ended up there I'd be happy enough with that. I'd be concerned that we'll see Ferg at 13 over Cave tbh.

molloyjh wrote: »

You know what, I'd be delighted to see Ferg at 12 whatever about the half backs. He's been fecked about the back line a lot at Leinster and Ireland but 12 is his best position. McSharry and Marshall would be worth a look too, but if any one of those 3 ended up there I'd be happy enough with that. I'd be concerned that we'll see Ferg at 13 over Cave tbh.

I'd prefer Marshall or McSharry. Both have consistently played well at 12 and McFadden cannot nail down a spot at his province for God knows how many years. Marshall and McSharry oth have the potential to be much better than him. McFadden is a good squad player but I cannot seehim as a starter

I'd prefer Marshall or McSharry. Both have consistently played well at 12 and McFadden cannot nail down a spot at his province for God knows how many years. Marshall and McSharry oth have the potential to be much better than him. McFadden is a good squad player but I cannot seehim as a starter

Only because he's behind the best 12 in the country.

Unfortunately Darce is still the best option... but this could be his last season and Ferg/McSharry/Marshall should be given a good look.

• Advertisement

Going by that logic POM and Earls (and possibly soon Zebo) shouldnt be starting due to them being shuffled around in different positions due to their versatility, in order to get the teams best players on the pitch. McFadden deserves a shot in his best position but I wouldn't begrudge either of the others starting.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement