Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

danthefan wrote: »
    I like it. Maybe give Touhy a game.

I'd give the McCarthy-Ryan partnership another go, our pack will be in for a rough ride against the Argies so I'd rest most of our starters bar the locks who are an unfamiliar pairing and perhaps could do with more gametime together.

The problem I can see for the Fiji game is a (strong) selection on the basis of selling more tickets. What Munster player more than any other will get people through the turnstiles...

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭goreyguy

think the ulster 9-10-12-13, would be a good way to go. a lot of familiarity

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

Kilcoyne, Strauss, Bent, Ryan, McCarthy, Henderson, Henry, Heaslip;
    Marshall, Jackson, O'Halloran, Marshall, Cave, Gilroy, Zebo

We'll learn nothing from that backline; its too inexperienced. No point giving out A caps for the sake of it when the players chosen have no chance - rightfully in most cases - of making it into contention for the Argentina game.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Shaggy made a point on how the side that is selected against Fiji would give a clear indication of how comfortable Kidney feels in his job. With most coaches I'd tend to agree but Kidney is not most coaches and pressure or not I unfortunately could not see him making many changes or blooding many players. It is a "handy win" after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

We'll learn nothing from that backline; its too inexperienced. No point giving out A caps for the sake of it when the players chosen have no chance - rightfully in most cases - of making it into contention for the Argentina game.

Marshall-Jackson-L Marshall-Cave will be very familiar with each other, so they would be much more likely to click for a one-off game than backlines in previous "A" fixtures.

You could certainly argue that the bench spots for 9 + 10 and the starting places for 12 + 13 are up for grabs with a big performance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I would like to see either McFadden and Cave or Marshall and Earls. I feel there's a better balance between creativity and attacking ability in those combinations.

But I'd be happy to see all the Ulster guys out there. Itd be well worth watching

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I don't see the point in playing too many key players in this game, we could do with no more injuries. Also the backline against SA was rubbish so give other fellas a chance to step up for places against the Argies (won't happen under the Kidney regime though).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

I still think Kidney could pick ROG.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Exile_22

Ideally I'd like to see Earls(fb), Gilroy and Zebo in the back three with Cave at centre and one of Darcy/Marshall starting. We know players like Bowe and Trimble can perform so why use them here when we have the opportunity to test some young talent. Most of those players might have a shot at Argentina, and I'd like to see Gilroy some more at this level (even if he's not gunna get the Arg call). I remember him last time completely outshining Zebo, would be nice to have them competing.

I can see Kidney picking ROG at outhalf regardless so I wouldn't be too concerned at starting an experimental backline if the fear is too much inexperience.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

goreyguy wrote: »
    Wallace saying O'Gara should not have came on, needed a running 10. Not impressed with sexton's running game for the last 12 months, that he doesn't run enough and threat the line for Ireland. Critical of Murray's kicking, said Reddan was more of a threat. Wants Reddan to get a run of games, citing quicker game and reddan being more suited to it. POC not missed because Ryan and McCarthy, POC not a certain starter anymore. He was impressed with Bent. Critical that we have a backup for Ross, said Ross cant play every game without a rest late in matches.

Wallace for President. Lot of truths there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I think we should pick a pretty inexperienced team, I don't think a match against Fiji is going to benefit the likes of Heaslip much.

Do people think that Marshall, Wilson and Toner have just been called up to add numbers at this stage? I think they'll all start tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Have to say I fear that POC is going the way of flannery. I wonder if he'll get to make much more of a meaningful contribution for either Munster or Ireland.

The injuries just keep coming for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

Fireball07 wrote: »
    I think we should pick a pretty inexperienced team, I don't think a match against Fiji is going to benefit the likes of Heaslip much.

Do people think that Marshall, Wilson and Toner have just been called up to add numbers at this stage? I think they'll all start tbh.

I don't know. Given the importance of the Argentina match, it's probably more important to get more game time in for the players that will play that match. I'd be all for experimentation, and seeing starts for the likes of Jackson, Gilroy, Henderson etc., but the team that played on Saturday could clearly benefit from more time playing together. Particularly between 9-15.

Starts for Kilcoyne and Bent would probably be a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Beery Eyed

Starts for Kilcoyne and Bent would probably be a good idea.

I'd agree with that. It's needed on to fronts. A) No point in flogging Healy & Ross for the three games, but more importantly B) Gives two relatively new lads a first start in a game that should be physical but not too demanding at scrum time.

I wouldn't even have Healy or Ross on the bench to be honest. No advantage to be gained & again it's a great opportunity to include another couple of options to show what they can do from the bench.

Agree on resting Healy and Ross. Give me Kilcoyne and Bent. With maybe Court or Buckley on the bench at LH and Hagan or Loughney at TH. But for some reason Archer is highly rated.

Ideally the third TH would be andress or fitzpatrick. Assuming bent is actually good?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Does anyone know much about the Fijians? I've read grumblings that they don't have some of their better players available for whatever reason so we mightn't be up against their firsts or seconds either if they rotate their squad.

They're not known for their scrummaging so I wouldn't see the point in playing Healy or Ross.

I do remember this game be originally announced as an A game but recently being changed to an Ireland XV so I do wonder what type of team we'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

The Pacific Islands teams always seem to get the ****ty end of the stick when it comes to internationals,especially because of the French clubs.Have a look at this,for example.

Fiji lodge formal complaint over lock Qovu

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

On the back on the successful switching of positions by Simon Zebo at the weekend it appears Deccie is getting giddy and according the IT is considering playing Luke Marshall at scrum half this weekend...

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/1113/1224326524656.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

bilston wrote: »
    On the back on the successful switching of positions by Simon Zebo at the weekend it appears Deccie is getting giddy and according the IT is considering playing Luke Marshall at scrum half this weekend...

No im pretty sure its Paul Marshall he is considering... ya know.. the scrum half Paul Marshall from Ulster...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭clsmooth

goreyguy wrote: »
    Sheahan and Wallace being pretty complimentary of the performance on TodayFM. Both named McCarthy as a standout.

Sheahan encouraging more O'Gara, Bowe to 13, Earls at 15 and Zebo on the wing. POM should be at 7 he is saying it will be his best position and putting Ryan at 6, with DOC in at 5. Not carried away with Bent, thinks too early to say if he is any good. Saying some players should be rewarded if playing well for Fiji. Says performance indicated progress and Kidney was under pressure after 6N and that he is encouraged by the SA game. Says he think Kidney is changing citing bringing McCarthy etc. Says it isnt typical of Kidney to start a player like McCarthy. Evades the question about what happens to Kidney if we drop out of top 8.

Wallace saying O'Gara should not have came on, needed a running 10. Not impressed with sexton's running game for the last 12 months, that he doesn't run enough and threat the line for Ireland. Critical of Murray's kicking, said Reddan was more of a threat. Wants Reddan to get a run of games, citing quicker game and reddan being more suited to it. POC not missed because Ryan and McCarthy, POC not a certain starter anymore. He was impressed with Bent. Critical that we have a backup for Ross, said Ross cant play every game without a rest late in matches.

Is this man the biggest gob****e in Irish rugby or are Kidney and Hook worse? Wallace talks some sense though. At the end of the day I don't think it matters what team is put out. A change is needed from the top down. Once Kidney gets the boot, I think we'll see performances and results improving. Let's hope the IRFU decide to grow a pair and do what's required after the Argentina game regardless of the result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭clsmooth

bilston wrote: »

Tomtom364 wrote: »
    No im pretty sure its Paul Marshall he is considering... ya know.. the scrum half Paul Marshall from Ulster...

I think you missed the tongue in cheek tone of the original post..

Tomtom364 wrote: »

I suggest you open the link and look at the picture of the player and if you're any doubt as to who the player is check the caption underneath it...

But if you read the article you'll find Paul Marshall is mentioned as a potential SH replacement and Luke Marshall is not mentioned apart from the caption for the picture.

My team for Fiji

15 Simon Zebo - I thought he was really excellent against SA, the more game time he gets there the better, once Kearney comes back he'll revert to the wing but he can be at least very good FB cover.

14 Craig Gilroy - When he's played for Ulster this season he's been electric and this is the sort of game where he'd revel. I'd also be open to seeing Tiernan O'Halloran though.

13 Tommy Bowe - I would like to see Tommy tried in the midfield, we're missing physicality here and moving Bowe inside would provide that while maintaining some pace in the midfield

12 Luke Marshall - It's time to look to the future, I quite like the idea of Marshall putting Bowe into space. I'd be happy to see McSharry here too but he's not in the squad.

11 Keith Earls - For me he is best utilised on the wing

10 Jonathan Sexton - With a new midfield I think we need some stability at 10, I'd quite like to see how a 10-12-13 midfield of Sexton/Marshall/Bowe would get on.

9 Paul Marshall - Assuming Reddan is injured then I'd give Marshall a start. He certainly deserves it, I think Fiji is the sort of game that will suit him as well.

1 Dave Kilcoyne - Give him a go and wrap Healy up in cotton wool for Argentina

2 Ristardt Strauss - he played well against SA, he needs all the game time he can get for Ireland

3 Michael Bent - The 10 minutes we saw on Saturday were very encouraging, let's see how he goes from the start while resting Ross

4 Donnacha Ryan - His physicality is important, whether he has reached the heights of last season or not is debateable but playing in a game like this could help elevate him baclk to that level

5 Mike McCarthy - Absolutely superb against South Africa, okay so we suffer in the lineout without POC and obviously we're lacking leaders but Paulie's presence elsewhere was barely missed thanks to McCarthy's shift on Saturday.

6 Peter O'Mahony - Originally I'd have picked Henderson but thinking about it I would like to see the back row picked en masse again and given a chance to gel, but I'd give Henderson at least 30 minutes.

7 Chris Henry - He did pretty well on Saturday and deserves another go to build momentum ahead of Argentina.

8 Jamie Heaslip (c) - He'll feel he owes the team one after his yellow card on Saturday and as captain he's bound to start this one anyway.

Bench
    Sean Cronin
    Tom Court
    Mike Ross
    Donacha O'Callaghan
    Iain Henderson
    Conor Murray
    Paddy Jackson
    Fergus McFadden

So minimal changes from me but nonetheless IMO anyway exciting changes. I'd especially love to see that backline given some ball. We need Ireland to excite the fans again, maybe they could do it.

Bowe to 13 makes no sense to me?

He is a great wing, let him play his best position and not try and fit a square peg into a round whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

The problem I have with Bowe at 13 is that he's never going to be a long-term option there for Ireland.

I'd prefer Earls, Cave or even McFadden there against Fiji.

I think my favourite center partnership would be McFadden, Cave.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Beery Eyed wrote: »
    I'd agree with that. It's needed on to fronts. A) No point in flogging Healy & Ross for the three games, but more importantly B) Gives two relatively new lads a first start in a game that should be physical but not too demanding at scrum time.

I wouldn't even have Healy or Ross on the bench to be honest. No advantage to be gained & again it's a great opportunity to include another couple of options to show what they can do from the bench.

The amount of work that Healy & Ross have to put in to keep Ireland in games is astonishing. Healy seems to go down at least twice in every game with some knock and still manages to pick himself up and hit more rucks and take the ball up.
    We need to start protecting Healy from himself and Ross from exhaustion.

Tony Ward defending Kidney to the hilt, apparently it's not his fault. The players just aren't good enough.

So, is it safe to talk about Earls being a winger again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

is there a summer tour for the people not on the lions next summer?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement