Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

There is NO good reason?

The guy is an actual 15 unlike any of the other (fit) players you have mentioned.

The guy is entering the prime of his career, unlike any of the players you've mentioned.

The guy has played 15 very well this season, unlike the vast majority of the players you've mentioned.

He is not going to be a superstar and he'd be well down the list when everyone is fit. But for a one-off A game where the coaches have a lot of work going on across the team he's far better than a semi-fit injury risk or a player who is uncomfortable at 15 and never going to be an option there again.

The only people I'd prefer ahead of him currently are Earls, Gilroy, Zero and Morris. Theres an explanation for all of them, although I completely disagree with disregarding the latter.

OK, we're coming at it from different angles.

I would view a one-off A game as exactly the sort of game in which you should be playing the unknown quantity, taking a chance with someone who's had limited chances but who could become something of real value in the future, even when (Rob) Kearney is fit.

Hurley is the safe option. He won't do anything wrong and he'll probably play quite well, but he will never be an international full-back. That's my objection to it.

[I don't know why I care so much; of all the selection travesties of the last few years, this is well down the list. Probably just poor Denis Hurley bearing the brunt of my Kidney-disaffection.]

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Hang on, what's wrong with McCarthy?

.ak wrote: »
    Hang on, what's wrong with McCarthy?

deserves a rest, will certainly be first name on team sheet next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Tox56 wrote: »
    You would have Morris ahead of D Kearney? Hasn't he only played 2 or 3 games this season at 15?

I wouldn't even consider Kearney at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

He's not though.

Better solutions:
    1) Play Zebo; the guy is 22, he can manage three games in three weeks.
    2) Play any one of Dave Kearney, Craig Gilroy, Robbie Henshaw or Felix Jones.
    3) Play Madigan or Keatley; they can double up as out-half cover and Sexton gets a rest.

If Hurley has paid his dues and is getting the nod on the basis of being a 'good servant' to Munster, then fair enough. If Kidney thinks he's the best option, then fair enough. But he is not the only option.

Hurley should be no-where near the squad, dropped from munster team once the HC began and that with Earls injured at the time. Hurley at 15 is wasting what could be valuable development experience for Zebo, Kearney, Gilroy, Henshaw, Jones, Keatley or Madigan.

Healy & Ross of all people should be no where near TP this week, they should be at home with their feet up.

• Advertisement

Actually, what was the story with Healy in hospital? That all got brushed under the carpet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

I can't understand Hurley at 15 if that's the case. He's arguably Munster's 3rd choice 15 behind Earls and Jones (when he gets back to full fitness)

As well as that he's not international standard. Great club player, but doesn't have the cutting edge or acceleration for 15 internationally

And on top of all that we've got another chance to give Zebo more gametime at 15.

Actually, what was the story with Healy in hospital? That all got brushed under the carpet.

I think it was just a mandatory check that the players have to go through if they take a knock to the head. Pretty sure he got the all clear from it anyway.

----

One thing I'm concerned about is the idea of playing Muldoon at 7. We have so many actual opensides in Ireland.. why play Muldoon there?

Seems like a bad call to me tbh. Disappointed if it's the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

One thing I'm concerned about is the idea of playing Muldoon at 7. We have so many actual opensides in Ireland.. why play Muldoon there?

Seems like a bad call to me tbh. Disappointed if it's the case.

Kidney will probably give out in a few seasons (if the IRFU keep him) that we failed because we didn't have enough opensides with experience in the squad. He is preparing his excuses early

Kidney will probably give out in a few seasons (if the IRFU keep him) that we failed because we didn't have enough opensides with experience in the squad. He is preparing his excuses early

You think Kidney is purposely selecting 6's to play 7 in an effort to prepare excuses for a year or two down the line?

That's a bit ridiculous tbh. Don't see any benefit that would have to anyone, even Kidney

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Hype710

Dougall would have been worth a look had he not been injured.

Why are they 15 minutes late? :/

Probably debating who's gonna be captain. ;)

In terms of opensides I think it's a real shame that Dougall and Dom Ryan are injured

Would have liked to have seen one of the feature. I thougth Henry was ok last weekend, his first proper test IMO, so maybe I'll reserve judgement til next week. But when he robbed that first ball I thought he would have a very good game, but drifted into anonymity for the rest of the game

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    In terms of opensides I think it's a real shame that Dougall and Dom Ryan are injured

Would have liked to have seen one of the feature. I thougth Henry was ok last weekend, his first proper test IMO, so maybe I'll reserve judgement til next week. But when he robbed that first ball I thought he would have a very good game, but drifted into anonymity for the rest of the game

Henry's the best of all three. Considering it was SA for his first start I thought he was good. Stole ball, slowed down ball, and was physical around the fringes.

He drifted as you say, but who else in a green (er, black) shirt didn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Is the journalistic worm on the turn. At last, one speaks out.

"Kidney right in the firing line

.Ireland are in urgent need of a morale boost. More specifically, coach Declan Kidney is. Saturday’s 16-12 defeat by South Africa was their fifth in a row, making this their worst run since they lost seven on the bounce between November 1997 and June 1998. They have been beaten in seven of their 12 outings since returning to their rebuilt Dublin 4 home in 2010. Between 2000 and 2006 — the year in which they left the old Lansdowne Road to enable its reconstruction as the Aviva Stadium — Ireland’s home record was an impressive 81%. Measured alongside that, recent results are abysmal.

Henry's the best of all three. Considering it was SA for his first start I thought he was good. Stole ball, slowed down ball, and was physical around the fringes.

I agree, I was more hoping one of the others would feature against Fiji

I suppose most did fade, especially the backrow.

Here's the team lads

Hurley McFad Cave, l Marshall Gilroy Jackson Murray. Kilcoyne Cronin Ross O'Callaghan, Touhy Henderson Muldoon Heaslip subs Strauss, Healy, Bent, Ryan, Henry, P Marshall, Sexton, Zebo 

Have to say I like it bar Hurley at 15, but for all we know Zebo could have a knock

Looking forward to seeing Murray and Jackson together, same with McFadden and Cave

Not sure about Muldoon at 7 though

Also, NO ROG!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Stream isnt even working for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

I actually think that Heaslip is the best material for a breakaway that we have. The role flips between all three backrowers during the game. Different field positions, different phases etc. That's why, when fit, I think Ferris, O'Brien and Heaslip is one of the best combos around.

• Advertisement

"Their enthusiasm is infectious" [So what we've done is isolated individual cases of enthusiasm and put the guilty players into quarrantine]

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Hurley
    McF
    Cave
    Marshall
    Gilroy
    Jackson
    Murray

Killer
    Cronin
    Ross
    DOC
    Tuohy
    Henderson
    Muldoon
    Heaslip

Subs: Strauss, Healy, Bent, Ryan, Henry, Marshall, Sexton, Zebo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

"Paddy Jackson - Ireland Hooker"

Now Kidney..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Not what I'd go for personally but not a hundred miles off either.

Oh, read it wrong, Marshell and Cave is very interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭goreyguy

Poor to see us continue to run ross into the ground, also don't like seeing Healy on the bench.

goreyguy wrote: »
    Poor to see us continue to run ross into the ground, also don't like seeing Healy on the bench.

Only two looseheads in the squad so no choice really. Although I agree on Ross

I would've liked to have seen Henry start and Locky on the bench.. But still happy with that team.. Apart from Murray starting, I would've liked to see Marshall given a go. Also Hurley....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Only two looseheads in the squad so no choice really. Although I agree on Ross

Is Court not in the squad?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭JF100

Given that Murray & Ross will probably be starting v the Pumas... They ought not to be starting here...
    Not Bent to start???
    Is Healy really necessary.. Give him (and me) a break..!
    McFadden is not a winger imo...
    DOC? The team needs experience in case it gets difficult I suppose; but...

All in all; a couple of wasted opportunities here...
    But I suppose that fits in with the on-going theme regarding this team & its coach.

PS: As an aside; I've heard (on good authority) that DK "has lost the changing room.." (after Test I in NZ...)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement