Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    I wasn't aware of that, seems like a bizarre rule to me.
    Not a rule, a contractual obligation.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

.ak wrote: »
    I would've liked to have seen Henry start and Locky on the bench.. But still happy with that team.. Apart from Murray starting, I would've liked to see Marshall given a go. Also Hurley....

Yeah that's some reward for Locky after the form he showed in NZ - not amazing but definitely very solid - being dropped to at best 4th choice.

Anyone else think (hope?) Ferg will go to 12 in the second half and Marshall will go off for Zebo. Unless DK wants to see more of Zebo at 15 obviously. We need to assess our options at 12 soon and sticking 1 candidate in for an uncapped game isn't going to do much really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

The average age of the backline is 23

molloyjh wrote: »
    Anyone else think (hope?) Ferg will go to 12 in the second half and Marshall will go off for Zebo. Unless DK wants to see more of Zebo at 15 obviously. We need to assess our options at 12 soon and sticking 1 candidate in for an uncapped game isn't going to do much really.

Could still do that though couldn't we?

Ferg to 12.

Zebo to 15.

Hurley to 14

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Tox56 wrote: »
    And if Ross picks up a knock that keeps him out of the Argentina game we have the prospect of Archer on the bench??

Fiji were really really poor in the scrum against England, if Bent is in any way decent he should be able to handle them.

Healy should be fine with Bent if Ross picks up a knock. Having a fit bench is even more crucial against Argentina - I don't think I'd want to see Archer coming on against them.

Anyway, this will be an easy day out for Ross to keep him ticking over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

Wow the RTE site really needs to get their facts right

"The uncapped trio of Ulster's Craig Gilroy, Leinster's Fergus McFadden and Denis Hurley of Munster have all been selected to start................"

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭dtpc191991

molloyjh wrote: »
    Yeah that's some reward for Locky after the form he showed in NZ - not amazing but definitely very solid - being dropped to at best 4th choice.

No, Marshall is by far our best prospect in that position and offers alot more attacking potential than McFadden.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

Whats the point of Muldoon at 7? He is an 30 year old good PRO12 blindside and he is being selected for an A international at 7. Bizarre decision. At least with Hurley, you get a lad playing in his primary position and there aren't much alternatives.

Looks like Kidney thanking him for holding the tackle bags by giving him a game. Elsewhere, its good to see so many young lads included, but realistically most of them have no chance of playing next week.

I like that Kidney Trolls us. At least he's getting a sense of humour
    "We know they'll do a job and they've been training really well over the last two and a half weeks. We feel they deserve their go."

3 Kidneyisms in 2 sentences!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

dtpc191991 wrote: »
    No, Marshall is by far our best prospect in that position and offers alot more attacking potential than McFadden.

Yes, but McFadden has earned at least 20-30 mins at the end. Has he ever played 12 for Ireland? It's bizarre that he has been given the chance everywhere but there, when most people see that as his best position.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Don't really see the point of Hurley, McFadden or Muldoon. Still, it's a decent enough selection. Will be more interested in seeing how they play and whether anyone can force their way into the reckoning for Argentina (doubtful).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Could still do that though couldn't we?

Ferg to 12.

Zebo to 15.

Hurley to 14

Hurley at 14...ugh. I like Hurley, he's a good full-back. Average winger.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Marshall is going to be the future of Ireland at 12. I think we all saw this when he dotted down try after try at the Ulster/Leinster v Munster/Connacht game in the Aviva. However, he still needs to learn how to burst through big fellas, and the Fiji team won't be any push overs. I'm delighted he's gotten a start as I've always been particularly keen on him, but having said that I would've liked McFadden to start also to prove what he can do in a 12 jersey for Ireland and also explore our options.

What will probably happen is Marshall will be the first back to leave the field at around 60 min if he gets knackered, and then we might see McFadden shifted to 12.

dtpc191991 wrote: »

I'm not saying Ferg should be there ahead of Marshall. I'm saying we should be assessing all our options. Ferg is an option just as Marshall is. And McSharry as well let's not forget. We're meant to be trying to develop a side with 2 players per position....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Whats the point of Muldoon at 7? He is an 30 year old good PRO12 blindside and he is being selected for an A international at 7. Bizarre decision. At least with Hurley, you get a lad playing in his primary position and there aren't much alternatives.

Looks like Kidney thanking him for holding the tackle bags by giving him a game. Elsewhere, its good to see so many young lads included, but realistically most of them have no chance of playing next week.

Muldoon was playing HC rugby last season at 7...if DK's happy to wheel out has beens in DOC and ROG then Muldoon is more than deserving on his place on that basis.

With Hurley you get a lad that's dropped by Munster once the HC rugby kicks in.

bamboozle wrote: »
    Muldoon was playing HC rugby last season at 7...if DK's happy to wheel out has beens in DOC and ROG then Muldoon is more than deserving on his place on that basis.

Pretty unfair tbh, Hurley has been very influential in Munster HC games recently. He was very good last year

In terms of standard, himself and Muldoon are on the same level

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Hurley first properly burst on the scene in Heineken Cup rugby, replaced Shaun Payne away to Gloucester

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

leakyboots wrote: »
    Hurley first properly burst on the scene in Heineken Cup rugby, replaced Shaun Payne away to Gloucester

Hurley and burst are very rarely seen in the same sentence. He has laboriously slow acceleration. He gets shown up by it at Rabo level.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

It's not often I can say that for two weeks in a row, I have been relatively happy with the Irish team selection.

There may be personal preferences, as others have noted, but overall, I like the look of that team. Again, however, the game-plan is what is going to be the major point that will determine how well we do.

My big hope is Jackson has an outstanding game, thus forcing ROG off the bench for Argentina.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Pretty unfair tbh, Hurley has been very influential in Munster HC games recently. He was very good last year

In terms of standard, himself and Muldoon are on the same level

He was dropped for HC opener, came back in to start against a rubbish edinburgh team. Influential? dont think so.

Muldoon is a quality player who has suffered as a result of the loyalty shown to his native province. Hurley is an average Rabo player.

• Advertisement

He was dropped for HC opener, came back in to start against a rubbish edinburgh team. Influential? dont think so.

Muldoon is a quality player who has suffered as a result of the loyalty shown to his native province. Hurley is an average Rabo player.

Notice I said "last year"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Fishooks12 wrote: »

Notice I said "last year"

You also said HC games recently

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭19543261

Would have personally loved to watch Zebo again - is there a chance he's simply being "kept" for the Argentina game?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Otacon wrote: »
    It's not often I can say that for two weeks in a row, I have been relatively happy with the Irish team selection.

There may be personal preferences, as others have noted, but overall, I like the look of that team. Again, however, the game-plan is what is going to be the major point that will determine how well we do.

My big hope is Jackson has an outstanding game, thus forcing ROG off the bench for Argentina.

Agree with all of that. I think Jackson and McFadden could be the big winners from this team as big performances and they could force themselves into the reckoning for next week (albeit the bench in PJ's case). The rest will need miracle's.

But I just want to be entertained by Ireland in the same way as I'm entertained watching Ulster and Leinster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

OK, just saw the official team announcement. I've typed the fingers off myself previously about the pointlessness of picking Hurley and the outright refusal to give (Paul) Marshall gametime.

All that pales into insignificance compared to Kidney's decision to play Ross FROM THE START this weekend. Is he for real?

This is the same Mike Ross who carries the success or failure of the entire team on his shoulders? The same Mike Ross who played his heart out against SA and had to be hauled ashore, visibly shattered? What THE F*CK is the benefit of playing him from the start in a non-cap game against those renowned scrummaging titans, Fiji? What happens if he gets a knock and can't play against Argentina?

Kidney came out in the aftermath of Twickenham saying that it wasn't his fault we got hammered, sure the provinces won't pick Irish guys at prop, what is poor simple Deccie to do?

Leinster go out, find an IQ prop in New Zealand, put the solution on a silver platter for Kidney, and what does Kidney do? Sticks him on the f*cking bench. Can one of the many Kidney apologists on boards talk me through the logic of this?

Two words: Kidney out.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

The reason Ross could be in there is so himself, Cronin, and Kilcoyne can do some live in game scrummaging practice. In saying that I do hope he comes off at half time.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Ross makes sense as a barometer for performance. You can't make 3 changes in the front row and evaluate the performance. Then you consider Healy always seems an injury waiting to happen, you also consider Strauss is wounded and also relatively inexperienced.

He has to come off early though. The risk has to be reduced as much as possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Anyone think Gilroy might be able to put himself in contention for a bench spot against Argentina ? Last time he got a sniff he put in a cracking performance. But he was still ignored for the NZ tour.

If Zebo starts at FB with Trimble and Bowe on the wing, Earls and Darce at centre, would there be room for him on the bench considering McFadden even as a utility back wasnt used as centre cover against the Boks. Straight swap Gilroy for McFadden for an impact winger against Argentina ? Sexton to 12, Jackson to 10 ?

Scioch wrote: »
    Anyone think Gilroy might be able to put himself in contention for a bench spot against Argentina ? Last time he got a sniff he put in a cracking performance. But he was still ignored for the NZ tour.

If Zebo starts at FB with Trimble and Bowe on the wing, Earls and Darce at centre, would there be room for him on the bench considering McFadden even as a utility back wasnt used as centre cover against the Boks. Straight swap Gilroy for McFadden for an impact winger against Argentina ? Sexton to 12, Jackson to 10 ?

I can't stand this Sexton to 12 crap. We need to find an alternative to Darcy and Sexton is not it. We are sacrificing blooding a new 12 for what exactly!? It is madness plain and simple. And it has to stop. Whatever about some of the selections and changes we've seen over the years this one takes the biscuit in terms of sheer lunacy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Hurley is just beyond a joke of a selection. Only Kidney.

Marshall should be getting a chance too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement