Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

molloyjh wrote: »
    I can't stand this Sexton to 12 crap. We need to find an alternative to Darcy and Sexton is not it. We are sacrificing blooding a new 12 for what exactly!? It is madness plain and simple. And it has to stop. Whatever about some of the selections and changes we've seen over the years this one takes the biscuit in terms of sheer lunacy.

I agree but Kidney clearly sees him as cover for Darcy, so if he's going to have a winger on the bench Gilroy surely has a chance if he puts his hand up.....again.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Scioch wrote: »

I agree but Kidney clearly sees him as cover for Darcy, so if he's going to have a winger on the bench Gilroy surely has a chance if he puts his hand up.....again.

You'd like to think that any/all of them have a shot if they out their hands up. Not sure that's the way it works in that camp though. McFadden is almost guaranteed to get the nod given his versatility. The bench isn't there for impact don't ya know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Ross makes sense as a barometer for performance. You can't make 3 changes in the front row and evaluate the performance. Then you consider Healy always seems an injury waiting to happen, you also consider Strauss is wounded and also relatively inexperienced.

He has to come off early though. The risk has to be reduced as much as possible

Interesting logic, but this is Fiji (and not even a particularly strong Fiji squad); if our scrum goes out and mangles them, does that really tell us that we're ready for the Argies?

Leaving aside the risk of injury to Ross, it's denying Bent a run-out. If we need a barometer of performance, surely it's Bent we should be monitoring? At least we have some idea of what Kilcoyne can do but we're in the dark on Bent.

No; this is typical Kidney. Blame everything and everyone else when things go wrong while actually doing nothing to remedy the situation.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I don't see the point of Sexton to 12 either. In my opinion ROG isn't as good a 10 as Sexton and Sexton isn't as good a 12 as D'arcy or McFadden so to me it just weakens the back line.

Sexton is a better passer than D'arcy and may get the ball out to the outside backs more/quicker but I don't think he's fixing the defence so they drift out too almost negating his influence.

Regarding Hurely, I'm actually looking forward to see how he'll get on as I think he has been treated poorly by Munster and we do need to to look at another option at 15. He is great at getting the ball out of the tackle (if you think back to Munsters try in Lanelli in the pool stages of the HEC last season for example) which is something every team needs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

That selection isn't too bad in fairness.

Murray, Hurley and particularly Ross are my qualms.

What in the name of jaysus are we going to learn playing Ross in a game like this?

Yet we'll still have the provinces blamed for the THP situation!

Surely this is made for giving a guy like Bent gametime? It's just flogging Ross for little reason.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 322 ✭✭Banbridgeman2

Rumours swirling that Archer of Ireland is getting humiliated by Jack McGrath in an A game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

I may be alone in this but I really do rate McSharry ahead of Marshall based on the last 2 and a half months. In particular the Leinster game and the Harlequins game.

Don't see the point of Muldoon at 7. Put in a proper 7 and have Muldoon on the bench to cover all 3 back row players.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Rumours swirling that Archer of Ireland is getting humiliated by Jack McGrath in an A game

By O'Connell as well. Kidney...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

If Ross does get injured in this game and misses the Argentina match, are they seriously going to put Archer on the bench? I know there aren't many options but if he is being minced in an A game you can't bench him in an international surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Interesting logic, but this is Fiji (and not even a particularly strong Fiji squad); if our scrum goes out and mangles them, does that really tell us that we're ready for the Argies?

Leaving aside the risk of injury to Ross, it's denying Bent a run-out. If we need a barometer of performance, surely it's Bent we should be monitoring? At least we have some idea of what Kilcoyne can do but we're in the dark on Bent.
    I don't think you mean the same thing as I do when you say barometer.

I would definitely like to see Bent get a good run out. I can't imagine Ross will be on for more than 50 minutes and if he is I'd be disappointed.

The only selection I'm actually disappointed in is Muldoon. Every other selection has merit for me, even if I wouldn't have selected it myself. Muldoon on the other hand is not going to offer any variety to this back row.

• Advertisement

Well according to my friend he's genuinely worried for Archers safety in a B&i match. The IRFU have to step in if he's put on the bench for an international, he could get seriously injured if he had to come on

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I may be alone in this but I really do rate McSharry ahead of Marshall based on the last 2 and a half months. In particular the Leinster game and the Harlequins game.

Don't see the point of Muldoon at 7. Put in a proper 7 and have Muldoon on the bench to cover all 3 back row players.

Whether he's ahead of Marshall or not is obviously open to debate as everyone has their opinion. He's certainly played a bit more than Marshall this season. However whatever about that I think most would certainly rate him very highly.

I don't think you mean the same thing as I do when you say barometer.

I presume you mean that you mean that we'll get a better indication of how Kilcoyne is getting on if he's paired with Ross, rather than if we have two brand new props and things go pear-shaped, it will be hard to tell who's at fault or who was doing OK?
    I appreciate that, but I just think that if we go out and destroy Fiji at scrum-time (which I would expect us to do, regardless of personnel), it won't tell us too much about anything. So I'd rather not risk Ross and give Bent the benefit of getting a very physical workout.

[And I would imagine that's how Kidney is viewing this match in general; if Luke Marshall and Cave go out and tear it up in midfield, have they any real hope of breaking into the team for the Argentina game? Or will the attitude be, "well the lads played well but sure it was only Fiji"?]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

Bent to start against the argies. You heard it here first :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

He wasn't.
    Scrums were fairly even actually.

JustinDee wrote: »

He wasn't.
    Lo do you have to defend everything Kidney? My friend who was at the game coaches with Neath and knows his stuff , he said Archer was slaughtered, I'd take that opinion over yours

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

He wasn't.

:confused: This was posted by a Musnter fan at the game:

"Munster scrum is a disgrace at this stage. Archer should be taken off for his own safety."

Granted that might be a bit of an exaggeration but things didn't sound "even"

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

He wasn't.

Balderdash.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

He wasn't.
    Lo do you have to defend everything Kidney? My friend who was at the game coaches with Neath and knows his stuff , he said Archer was slaughtered, I'd take that opinion over yours
    Tox56 wrote: »
    :confused: This was posted by a Musnter fan at the game:

"Munster scrum is a disgrace at this stage. Archer should be taken off for his own safety."

Granted that might be a bit of an exaggeration but things didn't sound "even"
    .ak wrote: »
    Balderdash.

The cowards' anonymous vitriol has spoken Justin.

The cowards' genuine fans' anonymous vitriol concern at the direction the national team is going in has spoken Justin.

Took the liberty, Thomond, hope you don't mind.

Couldn't make the A game today so I can't say for sure, but if you think it's the Leinster boys piling in on poor old Archer, take a gander at the thread on MF.com...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭JF100

What was the general essence of the thread..? Please synopsise .. (as accurately & fairly as you can, of course)
    I am interested to know.
    Is it that Archer may be out of his depth?

JF100 wrote: »
    What was the general essence of the thread..? Please synopsise .. (as accurately & fairly as you can, of course)
    I am interested to know.
    Is it that Archer may be out of his depth?

Very much so.
    http://www.munsterfans.com/threads/32531-Munster-A-v-Leinster-A-Thursday-2-30pm-Donnybrook/page5?p=1138236#post1138236

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

He wasn't.

Nonsense. Leinster crushed the Munster scrum on more than one occasion and it didn't get any better when Archer came on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

The cowards' anonymous vitriol has spoken Justin.
    Sorry Alan but what on earth has a Tony Ward article to do with me?
    Archer came on in second half and Munster won two out of four scrums during my time watching them.
    I couldn't care less who was propping so I'm not defending any coach or player either.

It's odd how even people on mf.com are saying archer had a miserable day.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Sorry Alan but what on earth has a Tony Ward article to do with me?
    Archer came on in second half and Munster won two out of four scrums during my time watching them.
    I couldn't care less who was propping so I'm not defending any coach or player either.

It has nothing to do with you, I was having another (cowardly) pop at Tony Ward. :D

(btw would you mind not calling me Alan on the forum, it kinda bugs me.)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Two out of four of their own or in total? Cause the former isn't actually very good...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

It's odd how even people on mf.com are saying archer had a miserable day.

You need to look up the definition of odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

CatFromHue wrote: »
    This is a strange game as originally it was billed as an A game but relatively quick after it was changed to an Ireland XV game.

Either way, its good news - we are still on for 6 proper losses in a row.
    Had it been a full international, the chance of the streak would be broken and there would be some pressure off Kidney. Wales, England, Scotland, France to come in that order. DK could be leaving us with another historic season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

leakyboots wrote: »
    Hurley
    McF
    Cave
    Marshall
    Gilroy
    Jackson
    Murray

Killer
    Cronin
    Ross
    DOC
    Tuohy
    Henderson
    Muldoon
    Heaslip

Subs: Strauss, Healy, Bent, Ryan, Henry, Marshall, Sexton, Zebo

Happy enough with the team apart from Ross, DOC and Murray. Marvellous to see no ROG finally!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement