Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

goreyguy wrote: »
    Ridiculous article by Conor George on POM today in the indie.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

George is a perfect replacement for Farrelly.
    Completely biased, and devoid of any actual analysis.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The Indo have actually managed to replace Farrelly with someone worse.

Its almost impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

durkadurka wrote: »
    We have big problems at second row in 18 months though. Not saying play him there next week(that would be nuts) but we need to seriously look at options there.

It's an area we've had great players for years now with POC DOC big Mal, Cullen but in a year they'll all be gone -lets face it.

We're talking Ryan, McCarthy, toner ........sheesh!
    Let's convert Henderson. Sure we're out the door with blindsides!

Convert? Didn't he play there for the U20 World Championship side?

I've said before and I'll say it again, the standard of rugby journalism in this country is a disgrace.

That piece, and the numerous times Frankie has chosen a client MOTM or bigged up the likes of Archer, is not only false and incorrect, but completely unethical.

If you did that in another industry, (bigged up a client without disclosing that they're a client), you'd be right vilified.

It just shouldn't be allowed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

dregin wrote: »
    Convert? Didn't he play there for the U20 World Championship side?

Yeah but at senior level he's played exclusively as a 6. Obviously, he can play in both position but it might be better for the team in the long run if he transitioned to playing 2nd row more.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Deano7788 wrote: »
    Yeah but at senior level he's played exclusively as a 6. Obviously, he can play in both position but it might be better for the team in the long run if he transitioned to playing 2nd row more.
    a lot of the ulster fans are seeing him as a replacement for Ferris

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Neil3030 wrote: »

Not at all a big coincidence. Conor George contacted David Wallace and asked him what he thought of Peter O'Mahony as David Wallace has seen him up close. The Indo could hardly quote Alan Quinlan (who works for the Irish Times) who also sings the praises of O'Mahony (saying similar things to what Wallace says about him) and competes with Frankie for punditry gigs.

Tomorrow they might ring up Stephen Ferris and ask him what he thinks of Henderson (well, maybe not as Henderson is vying for his position). Maybe they'll talk to Rory Best instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

a lot of the ulster fans are seeing him as a replacement for Ferris

Yeah, and I can definitely see why. For Ireland, though, it might be better if he was a lock, as a lot of the current locks are in their 30s and will be gone soon enough. We also have a ridiculous number of blindsides around. Whatever position he ends up in, though, he'll almost definitely be 1st choice in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

He played at lock for the u20s WC... He's no stranger there. I personally would like to see him developed there. There seems to be this idea in Ireland if you play in the second row and grow a pair of legs you get moved to blindside as soon as you're old enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I think we would be better off developing Henderson as a second row. Ireland will always produce good blindside flankers so we will be fine there but once DOC and especially POC retire in the next few years we will be badly in need of a potential world class lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I'm sure he'll play in the row. Maybe not too much this season, but I'm sure they'll develop him there next year to replace Muller when he goes.

How has his scrummaging been when he's played in the row? Would he be tight-head-lock material in the making? That's the area we're badly flipped, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I'm sure he'll play in the row. Maybe not too much this season, but I'm sure they'll develop him there next year to replace Muller when he goes.

I would have agreed in the past but I'm told by those who know him that he wants to play 6...although I'm sure that he'll play where he's told...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

I've said before and I'll say it again, the standard of rugby journalism in this country is a disgrace.

That piece, and the numerous times Frankie has chosen a client MOTM or bigged up the likes of Archer, is not only false and incorrect, but completely unethical.

If you did that in another industry, (bigged up a client without disclosing that they're a client), you'd be right vilified.

It just shouldn't be allowed.

But that's Frankie doing his job. His job is to promote his clients. All of the blame needs to go to the papers and television networks who hire him as a pundit, knowing his day-job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

Otacon wrote: »
    But that's Frankie doing his job. His job is to promote his clients. All of the blame needs to go to the papers and television networks who hire him as a pundit, knowing his day-job.

Some of the blame, sure, but he has to accept responsibility for his own actions if he's trying to mislead people because he profits from the success of his clients.

I think Frankie is a partisan charlatan pick-pocket, but the blame lies solely with the networks who hire him.

Some of the blame, sure, but he has to accept responsibility for his own actions if he's trying to mislead people because he profits from the success of his clients.

But the conflict of interest is created by whichever outlet hires him.

Also, who is he misleading and how does that benefit his clients exactly? He is speaking to the public about his clients, but they don't affect how much his client gets paid or whether he starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I think Frankie is a partisan charlatan pick-pocket, but the blame lies solely with the networks who hire him.

Frankie is responsible for his own actions. Just because the companies hire him knowing his business doesn't absolve Frankie from all blame for acting unethically.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Frankie is responsible for his own actions. Just because the companies hire him knowing his business doesn't absolve Frankie from all blame for acting unethically.

Not sure I agree. Once he operates within the rule of law, his individual duties are presumably to his business and to his family / friends. It's the duty of the broadcaster to provide balanced, unbiased coverage and analysis for their customers. Frankie isn't breaking any laws, he's just a loathsome individual that I'd rather not see near a panel purporting to offer informed opinion.

• Advertisement

But the conflict of interest is created by whichever outlet hires him.

Also, who is he misleading and how does that benefit his clients exactly? He is speaking to the public about his clients, but they don't affect how much his client gets paid or whether he starts.

He obviously puts himself forward for the roles in the broadcasters and I'm sure he doesn't tell them when he's auditioning "lads, when I get a chance I'm going to big up my clients" and I presume they expect him to act in an ethical manner. The Broadcasters unfortunately seem happy with him and given how much he's on TV radio I wouldnt be surprised if he comes cheap so I doubt we'll see him off the airwaves anytime soon.

He's misleading any viewer who doesn't know his links to the players involved as he is portrayed as an expert. It's like bringing in the CEO of Google on a business show and introducing him as an expert in internet companies and for him to then during the discussion say only positive hyperbole about Google.

As he's in the media he effects public perception and the in turn effects selection. He has also given several very questionable Man of the Match awards to his clients which in turn can be pointed to when selections/international call ups/contract discussions come around.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Frankie is essentially just doing his job - as loathsome an approach to it as he takes. You may as well moan about Michael O'Leary making Ryanair an unpleasant airline to fly on.

The fault entirely lies with RTÉ for constantly giving him an avenue to exploit so brazenly.

He obviously puts himself forward for the roles in the broadcasters and I'm sure he doesn't tell them when he's auditioning "lads, when I get a chance I'm going to big up my clients" and I presume they expect him to act in an ethical manner. The Broadcasters unfortunately seem happy with him and given how much he's on TV radio I wouldnt be surprised if he comes cheap so I doubt we'll see him off the airwaves anytime soon.

Again, the broadcaster is responsible for the quality of guests on shows. Frackie may or may not 'put himself forward' but even if he does, the media outlet who pays him are who to blame. Frankie's just doing his full-time job.
    He's misleading any viewer who doesn't know his links to the players involved as he is portrayed as an expert. It's like bringing in the CEO of Google on a business show and introducing him as an expert in internet companies and for him to then during the discussion say only positive hyperbole about Google.

The business show are the ones responsible for who gets their air time.
    As he's in the media he effects public perception and the in turn effects selection. He has also given several very questionable Man of the Match awards to his clients which in turn can be pointed to when selections/international call ups/contract discussions come around.

Since when has Kidney's selections been the least bit impacted by public opinion?! People are almost always at a loss to explain his picks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Frankie is essentially just doing his job - as loathsome an approach to it as he takes. You may as well moan about Michael O'Leary making Ryanair an unpleasant airline to fly on.

The fault entirely lies with RTÉ for constantly giving him an avenue to exploit so brazenly.

I think that's a fair point.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

http://instagram.com/p/SOgSTjj__v/

2c5f2e48329211e286531231381521a2_7.jpg

Why Heaslip would even consider posting this (Rala's list) is beyond me. Could have sensitive info on it if you read certain points (#25, #36, #37) certain ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

leakyboots wrote: »
    http://instagram.com/p/SOgSTjj__v

Why Heaslip would even consider posting this (Rala's list) is beyond me. Could have sensitive info on it if you read certain points (#25, #36, #37) certain ways.

Or maybe it doesn't and that's why he posted it

Who's ruth? (#18)

Again, the broadcaster is responsible for the quality of guests on shows. Frackie may or may not 'put himself forward' but even if he does, the media outlet who pays him are who to blame. Frankie's just doing his full-time job.

Doing the full time job or not doesnt mean he's absolved from blame for acting unethically. I agree the broadcasters share some blame is true but Frankie shoulders some blame for his unethical actions.
    The business show are the ones responsible for who gets their air time.

Yes, but doesn't make it ethical for you not to mention that you could be making money from the comments you're making.
    Since when has Kidney's selections been the least bit impacted by public opinion?! People are almost always at a loss to explain his picks!

Fair point. I do feel that without the support he has received from the media with players such as TOL, ROG, Buckley he'd have been much quicker to drop them.

Really? All the blame is to go on the media?
    I couldn't agree with that, he's also being unethical when he's promoting clients on the national airwaves without actually mentioning that they're a client.

That's the first rule of ethics when it comes to running an agency tbh. Does he think he can be seen as credible?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

2c5f2e48329211e286531231381521a2_7.jpg

Mountain out of molehill to be honest. You always seem to have SOME issue with Heaslip.

Anyway, back on topic this is my team for next week.

1.Healy
    2.Strauss
    3.Ross
    4.Ryan
    5.McCarthy
    6.Henderson
    7.Henry
    8.Heaslip
    9.Reddan
    10.Sexton
    11.Gilroy
    12.Marshall
    13.Cave
    14.Bowe
    15.Zebo

I'm not a hypocrite, when Leinster were thrashing everyone last season I called for a majority Leinster team, now that its Ulster I believe that the Ulster guys should be started en bloc. Not only is that backline the best one, its also the future.

Henderson has to start, our biggest obstacle against South Africa was the fact that only Healy seemed to be able to get any go forward ball. Henderson is the best 6 in the squad and arguably may be better than Ferris in the future. He HAS to start. Kidney needs to start rewarding form. I've no idea why the papers are falling over themselves to argue for POM's place over Henderson. Henderson for me is already a better 6, he's the physicality that were desperately missing since Ferris and SOB's injuries.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement