Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭JF100

In fairness he said there's AN Argentinian fan...
    That MAY be so...

There MAY be an infinite number of universes...
    In which case I'm SURE there's an Argentinian fan somewhere saying: "El niño Gilroy es un puñado"...

If there is only one universe however; I'm SURE there's no Argentinian anywhere in the whole Universe saying: "El niño Gilroy es un puñado.."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

JF100 wrote: »
    I sincerely doubt there are ANY Argentinian fans saying that "Gilroy is a handful"...!!!

My point was more that Gilroy is a handful also, not that there are literally some Argentinian fans saying it. The implication in the original post was that Gilroy could be in trouble defensively, however I think he could just as easily cause them trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Noopti wrote: »
    My point was more that Gilroy is a handful also, not that there are literally some Argentinian fans saying it. The implication in the original post was that Gilroy could be in trouble defensively, however I think he could just as easily cause them trouble.

Spot on, he's a handful. Hopefully he gets some decent ball if (well when if GT is bigging him up) he starts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

Thorno up to his old tricks again

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/1121/1224326897640.html

"To give this stance credibility amongst the squad as anywhere else, Gilroy almost has to play. For sure, last Saturday wasn’t the first cousin of what Ireland will face next Saturday, which is why the pack will almost certainly be unchanged from the South African game now that Mike Ross has some more game time."

Again Mike Ross was enfant terrible after the SA game and now that he made things "right" for everyone bar hook against Fiji hes back in the good books. Still Declan and Gerry still needed to let everyone know that he is still on probation.

There have been questioning noises emenating from the coaching ticket through their mouth piece (Thornley) about Mike Ross ever since the arrival of Michael Bent. This is just (subtely) more of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Wexfordboy89

not that it matters much but we`ll be playing for a new cup on saturday

http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/27764.php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

So we could finally win some silverware again!!!!?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Higher wrote: »
    He must have improved his pace because I know for a fact that in the U20s world cup they had 100metre sprints and both Conway and either O'Halloran or Griffin were faster than him by a good bit.

Or the others have slowed down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

There are a load of those nonsense mickey mouse cups in international rugby, it's weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭yeraulone

dewds

anyone know when the team is due to be announced?

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

well now we're fucked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Wexfordboy89

well now we're fucked

haha very sarcastic aint we :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

yeraulone wrote: »
    dewds

cheers
    Tomorrow.
    12.30 or 12.45 with punctuality depending on time team train until.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

yeraulone wrote: »
    dewds

cheers

Tomorrow at 12:30ish I assume?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

JustinDee wrote: »
    Tomorrow.
    12.30 or 12.45 with punctuality depending on time team train until.

Why wait?

1.Healy
    2.Strauss
    3.Ross
    4.Ryan
    5.McCarthy
    6.POM
    7.Henry
    8.Heaslip
    9.Murray
    10.Sexton
    11.Gilroy
    12.D'arcy
    13.Earls
    14.Bowe
    15.Zebo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

TBH the only change I would definitely make to that team is Marshall in for D'Arcy. After that, I don't believe Murray/Reddan or POM/Henderson will make much of a difference.

01.Healy
    02.Strauss
    03.Ross
    04.Ryan
    05.McCarthy
    06.POM/Henderson
    07.Henry
    08.Heaslip
    09.Murray/Reddan
    10.Sexton
    11.Gilroy
    12.Marshall
    13.Earls
    14.Bowe
    15.Zebo

Otacon wrote: »
    TBH the only change I would definitely make to that team is Marshall in for D'Arcy. After that, I don't believe Murray/Reddan or POM/Henderson will make much of a difference.

01.Healy
    02.Strauss
    03.Ross
    04.Ryan
    05.McCarthy
    06.POM/Henderson
    07.Henry
    08.Heaslip
    09.Murray/Reddan
    10.Sexton
    11.Gilroy
    12.Marshall
    13.Earls
    14.Bowe
    15.Zebo

Henderson would make a huge difference, we need players who can make hard yards. If Henderson, Marshall, Strauss and Healy are punching holes then Reddan at 9 will have a huge impact as he really speeds things up when the pack is on top (unlike Murray who is a better in a struggling pack).

Similarly I've no idea why you've excluded Cave at 13 as a possible change. On form he completely deserves his spot over Earls who had a horrid time at 13 against South Africa throwing way-ward passes, kicking away possession, knocking on and generally being ineffective at creating space.

Cave is the 13 the team is missing. He can create space outside him in a way that Earls cant which would allow Bowe, Gilroy and Zebo to run amok.

So yeah, Henderson, Reddan, Marshall and Cave would make a huge impact to be honest. The selections would open up our running game.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭JF100

Good article from Quinlan (again) in the IT on the historical aspects of the Hiberno-Argentinian Animosity Axis... Interestingly, it centres on ROG.

15 minutes to go with the game in the balance...
    Who does Deccie bring on to try & win the game..?
    (That should fire the Argies up no end...)

This could be nice & close on Saturday. We may see the team's true mettle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Henderson would make a huge difference, we need players who can make hard yards. If Henderson, Marshall, Strauss and Healy are punching holes then Reddan at 9 will have a huge impact as he really speeds things up when the pack is on top (unlike Murray who is a better in a struggling pack).

Similarly I've no idea why you've excluded Cave at 13 as a possible change. On form he completely deserves his spot over Earls who had a horrid time at 13 against South Africa throwing way-ward passes, kicking away possession, knocking on and generally being ineffective at creating space.

Cave is the 13 the team is missing. He can create space outside him in a way that Earls cant which would allow Bowe, Gilroy and Zebo to run amok.

So yeah, Henderson, Reddan, Marshall and Cave would make a huge impact to be honest. The selections would open up our running game.

Fair enough, I disagree however. I think you are over-estimating Henderson TBH. He is certainly a fantastic player but against the Argie's backrow, I don't think he will have the stormer he had against Fiji. I do not subscribe to the idea that there is a huge difference in quality between him and POM... at least not yet.

As for Cave v. Earls, again I don't see a massive between them but would really like to see him outside Marshall. BTW I only remember one instance of Earls being sloppy [a poorly executed skip-pass to Bowe] so I wouldn't be too harsh on him for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Only change will be Gilroy for Trimble. Argentina wont perform and we'll come away with the win from a scrappy, shítty game. Go Ireland !

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭andymx11

Havent posted on here in a while but have been keeping up with the thread.

Think Gilroy will be the only change but am I wrong in thinking Bowe should be dropped? Yea he is capable of some pure class but havent seen it in a while!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

andymx11 wrote: »
    Havent posted on here in a while but have been keeping up with the thread.

Think Gilroy will be the only change but am I wrong in thinking Bowe should be dropped? Yea he is capable of some pure class but havent seen it in a while!
    yes:)

Be great to see the 11, 12, 13 axis from the Fiji game- but there is no way both D'Arcy and Earls will be dropped- also be nice to see Jackson on bench instead of ROG but again that won't happen.

As said already, I expect same team as SA but swap Gilroy for Trimble..

Ain't gonna be a pretty game but I don't care aslong as we pull of a win

wprathead wrote: »
    yes:)

Be great to see the 11, 12, 13 axis from the Fiji game- but there is no way both D'Arcy and Earls will be dropped- also be nice to see Jackson on bench instead of ROG but again that won't happen.

As said already, I expect same team as SA but swap Gilroy for Trimble..

Ain't gonna be a pretty game but I don't care aslong as we pull of a win

I'll shut up so ! :D

Yea would like to see ROG slide off the bench too, and although I am full sure Jackson capable of doing a great job there is something at the back of my mind saying "last 20 secs, drop goal attempt, ROG has this, Jackson may not".

P.s not trying to start any war with my above point.

I certainly wouldn't think that Bowe is untouchable at the moment.

Realistically, guys like Gilroy and Zebo are confidence players and are brimming with it at the moment.

11. Zebo/ Earls
    14. Gilroy
    15. Zebo/Earls

would be a back three desperate to get forward and get over the line.

I think that Bowe off the bench could be a massive impact too. Seems like the kind of guy that if you give him a point to prove, he'll do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

If Trimble is dropped he can feel unlucky, as I suspect he'd be the first Irish player under Kidney to lose their place in the test side to a guy behind him at his province. Not counting DOC/Ryan in the last 6N as Ryan never had a spot in the side to begin with. If true it'd make you wonder why D'arcy wasnt jettisoned for McFadden when he was muck in the 6N.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

shuffol wrote: »
    If Trimble is dropped he can feel unlucky, as I suspect he'd be the first Irish player under Kidney to lose their place in the test side to a guy behind him at his province. Not counting DOC/Ryan in the last 6N as Ryan never had a spot in the side to begin with. If true it'd make you wonder why D'arcy wasnt jettisoned for McFadden when he was muck in the 6N.

I do feel for Trimble. It's not like he could have done a whole lot to affect the outcome of the result 2 weeks ago. I'd also be in favour of starting McFadden at 12 as there's a case to be made that he would have played there ahead of Darce against Scarlets had he not been needed on the wing. He'd been very good there against Exeter and Munster. His strength and work rate were evident against Fiji. Marshall on the bench for the last 20-30 mins would mean we are putting out quality players in an important game and testing players for a problem position at the same time.

shuffol wrote: »

Yea I can see where you are coming from, after all we have yet to see Gilroy in an international test. Will be a big step up saturday. I think he is capable of making an impact but it wont do trimble confidence any good. If he is dropped 2moro and Gilroy plays average on saturday I dont see Trimble getting called up for international duty again (bar injuries).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

I always feel with Trimble that irregardless of prior form he's just one mediocre performance away from being out of the side or the media suggesting he's under pressure whereas other players can be consistently sh!te for whole tournaments or series without their position even being called into question.

What about....

9.Reddan
    10.Sexton
    11.Gilroy
    12.Marshall
    13.Cave
    14.Trimble
    15.Bowe

?

What about....

9.Reddan
    10.Sexton
    11.Gilroy
    12.Marshall
    13.Cave
    14.Trimble
    15.Bowe

?

No, to be honest I am liking of what I have seen from Zebo at full back.

I want to keep him there, well until RK comes back.

But it wont do Zebo any harm getting that experience, great cover and who knows he could grow into the positon and leave RK for dead. (as I am a massive RK fan that hurt to say)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭snow mad

1 HEALY
    2 STAUSS
    3 ROSS
    4 DOC
    5 MCCARTHY
    6 LOCKY
    7 HENRY
    8 HEASLIP
    9 REDDAN
    10 SEXTON