Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭sjwpjw

Dont know and cant be bothered researching ... but does that matter? DK seems happy to play most other people out of their normal positions LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭padraig.od

When was the last time Trimble actually played in the center?

For Ireland? Twickenham with Horgan for EOS last game in charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭dtpc191991

that's a nice team. I feel McCarthy has done enough to bump Tuohy out of the starting XV this season though.

Earls, Gilroy and Bowe would all be pretty interchangeable between bench and starting XV on current form. Zebo in the mix there too!

Best has to start though, Strauss a fantastic impact player to have.

Could you imagine DK picking that team!?

No but I would like to see his successor pick that team, maybe with Cave or Earls at 13, given the fact that BOD may be gone by then. Heck Griffin could be the best 13 in Ireland by then who knows. XD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Is Trimble becoming the new Paddy Wallace?

Really good rugby player that just gets slated for every single step he makes in the wrong direction, whilst completely ignoring all of the good parts of his game? (of which there is many?).

Don't think he's done anything particularly wrong, but Gilroy did score a hat-trick, making it 5 tries in two appearances for the 'A's. Zebo is running high on confidence and arrogance, and we haven't had any of either in our attacking play for a long time at National level. I don't think Trimble's done enough to keep his place, purely because the guys around him have done so much.

Pretty unnecessary jab tbh

Don't think Trimble is being underrated. More a case of looking at who is more likely to make an impact on Saturday. Gilroy looked electric last weekend, he deserves a shot IMO because Trimble hasn't lit up at international level since before the WC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

When was the last time Trimble actually played in the center?

England 33 Ireland 10 Twickenham 2008 eddies last game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Fishooks12 wrote: »

Arrogance is a positive

:confused:

Jab?

We need guys with swagger and belief. Zebo will try things that he has no right to, and some of them will come off. Sometimes it wont work, but it's far better than the alternative of just shuddering along predictably to a tight, but ultimately losing scoreline.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭dtpc191991

sjwpjw wrote: »
    My beef with the negative comments on Trimble in the SA game are that he never got a proper chance with ball in hand. The only passes (and there were very few) I saw him get were man and ball jobs apart from the one in the dead ball area where he had no real option when the camera panned out. Had he run that and got caught (there were plenty of SA defenders) he would have been slaughtered in the media etc but when he decides to take the basic option and clear he is criticized for not having a go. He can't win... TBH would it not be worthwhile trying him in centre instead of Darc - he is big and physical and faster and has played there plenty before (maybe not for Ireland though)? Not saying he is better than Marshall but he would certainly get my nod ahead of Darc who I think did very well when I was a lot younger... If DK's rationale for not using LM at 12 is lack of experience he could not say that of Trimble.

Yes, he made a mistake (IMHO) with the lineout although the Beeb commentator didn't think so. But then everyone is raving about Earls and Zebo. Earls chucked the ball straight into touch .... And Zebo basically tucked it under one arm more or less every time he got it a la mini rugby style. Had I been Bowe or Trimble outside of him I would not have been happy especially as it happened a number of times. Then someone on this forum said something like "if only the gaps had opened up for him [Zebo]"... How dumb is that? You could say that about anyone, or how about, "if only the other team couldn't tackle" etc? Yes, Zebo looked zippy but ultimately he didn't zip anywhere but apparently is now a nailed down starter.

Bowe can play pretty well at FB and is great under the high ball.

I do agree that Zebo did make some selfish decisions in the SA game that cost us attacking play and that people are being harsh on Trimble. That said I do think Gilroy offers more going forward, Trimble just doesn't have the same ability to step defenders at pace and we could do with that kind of player in our backline.

:confused:

Jab?

We need guys with swagger and belief. Zebo will try things that he has no right to, and some of them will come off. Sometimes it wont work, but it's far better than the alternative of just shuddering along predictably to a tight, but ultimately losing scoreline.

I'd see the word "arrogant" as a negative! But it's fine seeing as you didn't mean it as such

I agree then, Zebo's confidence has been part of the reason he's progressing so quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

I think he was taking the arrogance to mean about his personality.
    Cummins for Australia against England had the kind of confidence and arrogance to his play that I think you mean? A David Campese type of "I'm going to try anything from here just try and stop me".

I agree that we need to move on from the defensive mindset, that will only see us trundling along on a low scoreline being vunerable to a late surge from teams. If you rack up the scores you disrupt the opposition much better than just being solid defensively.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Trimble has always been seen like that. As .ak said he's only ever been a stop gap while Earls and Fitz were unavailable. Someone else rightly pointed out he wasnt in the inner circle. Certain players are afforded much more respect than others whether or not they ever do anything to deserve that respect. Others have to make do with filling in for them while they are unavailable.

I think Trimble is being looked at with serious rose tinted glasses here. He's a very solid player but his form at international level over the last year hasn't shown much to suggest that Gilroy isn't worth taking a look at in his position

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

I'd see the word "arrogant" as a negative! But it's fine seeing as you didn't mean it as such

I agree then, Zebo's confidence has been part of the reason he's progressing so quickly

Or maybe the confidence comes from progressing so quickly.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

JRant wrote: »
    Or maybe the confidence comes from progressing so quickly.

Mixture of both. He's a very confident player. It's a big part of the reason as to why I wasn't too worried about him adapting to 15

I think Trimble is being looked at with serious rose tinted glasses here. He's a very solid player but his form at international level over the last year hasn't shown much to suggest that Gilroy isn't worth taking a look at in his position

Trimble is just filling a hole, I am under no illusions as to how quickly he will be dropped, although I think his international level over the last year has been good. I'd be starting Gilroy myself on Saturday, he's an exciting prospect. But next 6 nations the competition will be between Gilroy, Zebo and Earls for the 11 jersey when BOD and Kearney return to their spots with a Lions tour coming up. Thats when things will really hot up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I think Trimble would have scored a few tries too if he started against Fiji. These new players are getting a little more credit than they deserve I think

Grimebox wrote: »
    I think Trimble would have scored a few tries too if he started against Fiji. These new players are getting a little more credit than they deserve I think

He probably would have, but it's also about looking at each player on his own merits and I think it's time to try something new at 11

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭ray jay

Yeah, it's not so much that Trimble has done anything wrong as he hasn't done anything to nail down the jersey, so why not try Gilroy?

ray jay wrote: »
    Yeah, it's not so much that Trimble has done anything wrong as he hasn't done anything to nail down the jersey, so why not try Gilroy?

But there is nothing he could do to nail down the jersey. That was clear going into the world cup. The jersey was Earls's regardless. Its still Earls but he's off covering for BOD. Gilroy will easily bypass Trimble in the Irish setup as Kideny has never had time for him. But Earls and Zebo are a different story.

Come 6 nations we will really see what Kidney thinks. I suspect Earls will take up residency at 11 again and Zebo will bench ahead of McFadden while Gilroy and Trimble are out on their arses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Scioch wrote: »
    But there is nothing he could do to nail down the jersey. That was clear going into the world cup. The jersey was Earls's regardless. Its still Earls but he's off covering for BOD. Gilroy will easily bypass Trimble in the Irish setup as Kideny has never had time for him. But Earls and Zebo are a different story.

Come 6 nations we will really see what Kidney thinks. I suspect Earls will take up residency at 11 again and Zebo will bench ahead of McFadden while Gilroy and Trimble are out on their arses.

A loss this weekend and no one will care what Kidney thinks come February.

• Advertisement

In fairness, can you name me any Irish back who's stood out in that time either?

Your not wrong about Gilroy being worth a look at but why does it seem that replacing Trimble is the only option. There are other viable changes that could be made, play Trimble on the right wing with Gilroy on the left, try Gilroy at FB as we need to have real options in that position going forward.
    Anyway, he'll not be getting any more game time under DK as he is definitely behind Earls and Zebo for the 11 jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

JRant wrote: »
    In fairness, can you name me any Irish back who's stood out in that time either?

Maybe not in the most recent games, but in the Six Nations Bowe and Kearney were fairly excellent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

It always seems to me that Trimble continually finds himself on the wrong side of the "form is important but it's not everything" argument.

He was immense in the 2010-11 Heineken Cup, he was our best (only) performing back in the warm-up games for the World Cup yet he was never seriously considered, either in the media or by the management, as a legitimate option for the team. Earls was playing OK but Kidney (surprise, surprise) showed no inclination to pick Trimble while Bowe seems to be magically exempt from any discussion of being dropped (and that includes Boards.ie) despite form that has been mixed at best.

Now that Gilroy is in the mix, all eyes are on Trimble being given the bullet.

I've no issue with Gilroy playing, he should have been given this chance long ago and the scramble by the print media to praise Kidney for his inclusion is laughable, it's the inevitability that Trimble will give way that annoys me.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

Scioch wrote: »

I have to say Trimble was robbed coming into the World Cup. He was in excellent form and was our stand out player in the warm ups and was subsequently dropped for Earls who had been very average up to that point. Obviously Earls went on to have a great WC (Wales game aside) but I couldn't help but think that if Trimble had gotten the chance he would have pushed on from there.

By the way, I would love to see Trimble have a go at 12 again. For me he has all the attributes, could make serious yards and open up opportunities. People forget just how young he was when he was playing 12, he was 23! Thats the same age as Zebo and younger than Earls despite both players getting some leeway in 'developing into their positions'. Unfortunately for Trimble he was regularly criticized for not transitioning fast enough to 12 but its something I would like to see again now that he has more experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Higher wrote: »
    I have to say Trimble was robbed coming into the World Cup. He was in excellent form and was our stand out player in the warm ups and was subsequently dropped for Earls who had been very average up to that point. Obviously Earls went on to have a great WC (Wales game aside) but I couldn't help but think that if Trimble had gotten the chance he would have pushed on from there.

By the way, I would love to see Trimble have a go at 12 again. For me he has all the attributes, could make serious yards and open up opportunities. People forget just how young he was when he was playing 12, he was 23! Thats the same age as Zebo and younger than Earls despite both players getting some leeway in 'developing into their positions'. Unfortunately for Trimble he was regularly criticized for not transitioning fast enough to 12 but its something I would like to see again now that he has more experience.

I used to think Trimble would make a good 12 but then I realised he couldn't pass or kick, he's got a lot better at both those skills in recent years but he's still not good enough to play centre, certainly not at test level. Anyway where would Trimble get the opportunity to play 12? Not at Ulster, not with Wallace and Marshall there and Farrell emerging, Olding can play 12 as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Grimebox wrote: »

I think it's the type of rugby they tried to play that is winning them praise. I don't think an Irish backline hasn't played rugby like that since the days of Hickie, D'Arcy, BOD, Horgan, Dempsey/Murphy.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

bilston wrote: »

I think it's the type of rugby they tried to play that is winning them praise. I don't think an Irish backline hasn't played rugby like that since the days of Hickie, D'Arcy, BOD, Horgan, Dempsey/Murphy.

You mean before Kidney in EOSs time....

It always seems to me that Trimble continually finds himself on the wrong side of the "form is important but it's not everything" argument.

He was immense in the 2010-11 Heineken Cup, he was our best (only) performing back in the warm-up games for the World Cup yet he was never seriously considered, either in the media or by the management, as a legitimate option for the team. Earls was playing OK but Kidney (surprise, surprise) showed no inclination to pick Trimble while Bowe seems to be magically exempt from any discussion of being dropped (and that includes Boards.ie) despite form that has been mixed at best.

Now that Gilroy is in the mix, all eyes are on Trimble being given the bullet.

I've no issue with Gilroy playing, he should have been given this chance long ago and the scramble by the print media to praise Kidney for his inclusion is laughable, it's the inevitability that Trimble will give way that annoys me.

It happens in other positions as well though.
    Locky seems to be paying the price for our hiding down in Kiwiland.
    Wallace was the best 12 in the country last season and couldn't even get a bench spot!
    The best 13 in the country on this seasons form hasn't a hope in hell of making the team.
    McCarthy/Touhy can expect the same treatment.

Then compare this to how certain players are drooled over by the management.
    DOC & ROG should have been put to pasture last year.
    Darce shouldn't have played as many games as he did in the last season or so.
    Murray is a nailed on starter, why? He's shown nothing to earn it.
    Zebo seems to be a nailed on starter now as well despite 2 starts to his name.
    Earls at 13 is pointless. Cave is already a better player and looking to the not to distant future Griffin and EOM will be far better than him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Team I would like to see picked on Saturday:

Earls
    Bowe
    Cave
    Marshall
    Gilroy
    Sexton
    Not Conor Murray
    Healy
    Strauss
    Ross
    McCarthy
    Ryan
    Henderson
    Henry
    Heaslip

Subs: McFadden, Jackson, Not Conor Murray, Kilcoyne, Cronin, Bent, Tuohy, POM.

Team Kidney will pick:

Zebo
    Bowe
    Earls
    D'Arcy,
    Gilroy
    Sexton
    Murray
    Healy
    Strauss
    Ross
    DOC
    McCarthy
    POM
    Henry
    Heaslip

Subs: Trimble, ROG, Marshall, Kilcoyne, Cronin, Bent, Ryan, Henderson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

A radio station is reporting of only 1 change - Gilroy for Trimble.

Obviously only a rumour at this time but wouldn't be surprised.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement