Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Conor George: "Bold Kidney rolls the dice".

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭cbyrne11

Conor George: "Bold Kidney rolls the dice".

Where did the indo get that clown from? I'm yet to read one bit of actually punditry from him, all he does is big up players every day!

Good article on the rugby world site about Ireland's backrow

http://www.rugbyworld.com/news/blogs/debate-is-it-time-to-rethink-irelands-backrow/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

cbyrne11 wrote: »
    Where did the indo get that clown from? I'm yet to read one bit of actually punditry from him, all he does is big up Munster players every day!

http://www.rugbyworld.com/news/blogs/debate-is-it-time-to-rethink-irelands-backrow/

Fixed.

He's not biased the same way Fox News isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

cbyrne11 wrote: »
    Where did the indo get that clown from? I'm yet to read one bit of actually punditry from him, all he does is big up players every day!

I think that article is slightly outdated:
    However, it has often been argued that Sean O’Brien shouldn’t be playing at openside because he isn’t a ‘fetcher’ – O’Brien more of a wrecking ball who loves ball in hand and relishes skittling over the opposition.

He was really growing into the openside role at the end of last season, and if you can outplay Richie McCaw on his own patch you must be doing something right. Unfortunately he got injured so he hasn't had the opportunity to build on that, but he was looking very, very good before his surgery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

9kNBO.jpg

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

molloyjh wrote: »
    You mean before Kidney in EOSs time....

You might have a point there

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

People here seem to be blaming Earls for the defeat, a number of people leaving him out of their teams. Whether you think he's a better 13 or not, he is a better full-back than Zebo and a better winger than Gilroy imo.

D'Arcy has been very inconsistent at international level for the past couple of years, even BOD has struggled to impress outside him, and I can't see Cave faring any differently.

And as for those calling for DOC to be put out to pasture...it was only Fiji, but he did out-perform Tuohy last week? And is probably the form lock in the country, bar maybe McCarthy. I think a McCarthy-DOC pairing is probably our strongest atm, Ryan hasn't hit his top form yet.

And as for Trimble, good player...but in a backline lacking a creative spark, I think it's worth giving a shot to someone like Gilroy who is probably more capable of producing a moment of magic, even if his all-round game isn't as secure.

He's not biased the same way Fox News isn't.

Fair and balanced then...that's what it says on the tin...

Fireball07 wrote: »
    People here seem to be blaming Earls for the defeat, a number of people leaving him out of their teams. Whether you think he's a better 13 or not, he is a better full-back than Zebo and a better winger than Gilroy imo.

D'Arcy has been very inconsistent at international level for the past couple of years, even BOD has struggled to impress outside him, and I can't see Cave faring any differently.

And as for those calling for DOC to be put out to pasture...it was only Fiji, but he did out-perform Tuohy last week? And is probably the form lock in the country, bar maybe McCarthy. I think a McCarthy-DOC pairing is probably our strongest atm, Ryan hasn't hit his top form yet.

And as for Trimble, good player...but in a backline lacking a creative spark, I think it's worth giving a shot to someone like Gilroy who is probably more capable of producing a moment of magic, even if his all-round game isn't as secure.

While there are bits there that I wouldn't agree with, what I would say is that I wouldn't be unhappy to see DOC partner McCarthy on Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Agree 100% with everything here.

DOC and McCarthy are the two form locks in Ireland right now IMO. And Earls might not be an out and out 13, but he's still the best 11 and 15 in the squad IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Seph503

Conor George makes me wish Hugh Farrelly was back....

:( Sorry guys

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭dtpc191991

Just saw an Ireland=Pumas add as in PUma the company. That could get slightly confusing at the weekend.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

about to start with team on irfu site
    http://www.irishrugby.ie/ireland/live_streaming.php

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

I've not read anyone here blaming Earls for the defeat to be honest.
    I'd have Cave ahead of him at 13, I'd also say that he just doesn't seem as sharp as he can be, probably due to just coming back from injury. No slight on Earls at all but other players need the chance to stake a claim for a jersey.

What did we learn by playing DOC in an A game? Surely someone like Toner could have been given a run.
    Why would Touhy bother his hole in an A game? He now knows he's injury cover and nothing else, great way to incentivise a player!

It's not the backline thats missing a spark. It's due to the fact we persist on playing a defensive SH, who wouldn't know what to do with quick, clean ball even if you were to draw him a map, A centre partnership that creates ZERO space for those around them and a coach who thinks POC should be carrying 13/14 times per game for very little yardage gained.

Replacing Trimble for Gilroy is futile as long as these problems remain.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Bromium

Tox56 wrote: »

He was really growing into the openside role at the end of last season, and if you can outplay Richie McCaw on his own patch you must be doing something right. Unfortunately he got injured so he hasn't had the opportunity to build on that, but he was looking very, very good before his surgery.

Totally agree with this he was our stand out player against NZ (while playing at 7) and playing injured to boot. I believe if he can pick up where he left off before the injury this issue should be put to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭cbyrne11

Tox56 wrote: »

I'm not sure we'll see O'Brien in 7 long term though, while no one ever mentions it I don't think Ferris has long left with the amount of injuries he has sustained I would actually like to see him retire for his sake, the man is going to end up crippled, saying that I love seeing him play when he is fit! But really SOB is a 6 learning to play 7, with Ferris gone I would expect him to go back to playing 6.

Michael Corcoran on Twitter confirming Gilroy for Trimble, otherwise no change.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

SZ, TB, KE, GDA, CG*, JS, CM; CH, RS, MR, DR, MMcC, POM, CH,JH. Subs: SC, DK, MB, DOC, IH, ER, ROG, FMcF

Trimble out Gilroy rest unchanged

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭dtpc191991

ONly change is Gilroy. Was really hoping Marshall and Cave would get a shot. =( Looks like we'll have no threat in attack. =(

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

Jesus christ, ROG on the bench AGAIN.

Henderson, Marshall and Cave can all feel aggrieved. As can Reddan with Kidney's favourite playing all 3 games..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Higher wrote: »

Henderson, Marshall and Cave can all feel aggrieved. As can Reddan with Kidney's favourite playing all 3 games..

Was Reddan not injured for the Fuji game? I am sure he would have started that game otherwise no?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

So we're on to another loser basically. Fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

ROGtastic.

So, one thing that is very clear, Thornley is obviously getting the inside scoop and thus appearing to be an authority on rugby in return for writing up supportive dribble for the IRFU. Shameful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Baker87

As has been said, although Gilroy deserves a shot I feel sorry for Trimble.

Was never really gonna drop Darce for this considering "the physical nature of the Argentinians".

I foresee a very boring game of rugby on saturday afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Gilroy over Trimble is much of a muchness if we're going to be muck in the key positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I'll at least take solace in the fact that when the Pumas smash us to bits, Kidney won't have fall-guys in Marshall or Cave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

I am seriously wary about this game.
    Think us as 5 point faves is very generous, Argentina are a quality side.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

Higher wrote: »

Henderson, Marshall and Cave can all feel aggrieved.

Jesus Christ, Kidney in the coaching booth AGAIN.

Any Body-Else can feel agrieved.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement