Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

JRant wrote: »

Tuohy played against NZ tbf.

We have to win this game against Argentina. Should be our strongest available team.

As for Trimble being the only option out...Gilroy ahead of Bowe? I just think that Bowe was better than him the last day, and tbh Bowe is probably one of those players who, as long as they're playing at least okay, will get picked.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Fireball07 wrote: »

Tuohy played against NZ tbf.

We have to win this game against Argentina. Should be our strongest available team.

As for Trimble being the only option out...Gilroy ahead of Bowe? I just think that Bowe was better than him the last day, and tbh Bowe is probably one of those players who, as long as they're playing at least okay, will get picked.

Tuohy did indeed play and went from that to out of team completely.

Every game seems to have that mantra these day's. We should be looking to win games even with some younger players in the team. The whole outfit seems very stale at the moment.

I'm not avocating dropping anyone but I see no problem with trying new combinations. Surely a backline of Bowe, Trimble, Gilroy could have been worth a look at with RK out. We have plenty of talent coming through on the wings with Gilroy and Zebo playing very well and TOH and O'Dea doing good things at their provinces.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

JRant wrote: »
    Tuohy did indeed play and went from that to out of team completely.

Every game seems to have that mantra these day's. We should be looking to win games even with some younger players in the team. The whole outfit seems very stale at the moment.

I'm not avocating dropping anyone but I see no problem with trying new combinations. Surely a backline of Bowe, Trimble, Gilroy could have been worth a look at with RK out. We have plenty of talent coming through on the wings with Gilroy and Zebo playing very well and TOH and O'Dea doing good things at their provinces.

Yeah, but his form hasn't been as good this season. Nevermind what Kidney does, I wouldn't have picked Tuohy for the SA/Argentina game... last year, I'd definitely have picked him if POC was out. But now I think DOC & Macca are deservedly ahead of him, and it should be close enough between him and Ryan for the bench spot.

It is that way... but that's because we've been playing poorly. We really can't afford to drop out of the top 8. Of course, we are trying some players because of injury and that's the way it happens with lots of teams... but I don't agree with playing youth for the sake of youth, I think we should play them if they are playing very well. The Jackson and Marshall situations are ones which should be highlighted there, they're better than the players ahead of them, they should be given a shot.

I suppose...but I don't think Bowe/Trimble/Gilroy would be better than Bowe/Gilroy/Zebo or Zebo/Earls/Bowe...

We do have lots of good wingers alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭phog

Updated IRB Rankings -
    1 New Zealand
    2 South Africa
    3 Australia
    4 France
    5 England
    6 Ireland
    7 Wales
    8 Samoa
    9 Argentina
    10 Italy
    11 Tonga
    12 Scotland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

phog wrote: »
    Updated IRB Rankings -
    1 New Zealand
    2 South Africa
    3 Australia
    4 France
    5 England
    6 Ireland
    7 Wales
    8 Samoa
    9 Argentina
    10 Italy
    11 Tonga
    12 Scotland
    Funny how after all the negativity we're not doing too bad in the rankings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Fez101

Great performance yesterday and for me two big pluses are how Gilroy and McCarthy have emerged this Autumn. Now DK, for once be brave and bring a few more youngsters into the fold for the 6 nations and you know what, we might just have the beginnings of something here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Fez101 wrote: »
    Great performance yesterday and for me two big pluses are how Gilroy and McCarthy have emerged this Autumn. Now DK, for once be brave and bring a few more youngsters into the fold for the 6 nations and you know what, we might just have the beginnings of something here.

You know McCarthy is 30 or 31?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

danthefan wrote: »

31 next tuesday not old in second row terms at all

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭OldRio

danthefan wrote: »

Still a young buck to some of us.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

An article in The Sunday Times today suggest the IRFU are going to appoint a performance director to whom the provinces and national team will answer to.

The article also suggested the director will have experience in pro rugby in a technical way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭goreyguy

Hugh Cahill seems convinced Kidney is gone post 6N

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Makes sense. As much as I'd love a new coach to start working on the team now, it's only fair to expect a union to fulfill their contract on their end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

Fez101 wrote: »
    Great performance yesterday and for me two big pluses are how Gilroy and McCarthy have emerged this Autumn
    Gilroy ran 111 metres from 12 carries. Very impressive. My pick is Richardt Strauss who has taken his provincial form up a level to international extremely well.
    I love the way the back row switch roles during the game. When this clicks, they're some force to contend with. Competition for places is tough now and never settled.

goreyguy wrote: »
    Hugh Cahill seems convinced Kidney is gone post 6N

He should have gone after the debacle against England, and while I hate to see another 6N possibly squandered, hopefully that will be it.

Yesterday was encouraging but doesn't mean Kidney should stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Richardt Strauss deserves serious consideration as a long-term starter. Brilliant game yesterday, we all saw his throws and his try, but he was a superb operator at the breakdown too, winning us a penalty on our own line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

If it is the case hopefully Kidney is made aware that his contract wont be renewed, for his own sake and also so he'll be less conservative in the 6N and make the job of his sucessor a little easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

JustinDee wrote: »
    Gilroy ran 111 metres from 12 carries. Very impressive. My pick is Richardt Strauss who has taken his provincial form up a level to international extremely well.
    I love the way the back row switch roles during the game. When this clicks, they're some force to contend with. Competition for places is tough now and never settled.

Yeah it'll be very interesting to see how things go at hooker in the 6 Nations. I think we could see Strauss playing against Wales and Scotland, Best against England and Italy... And I have no idea how we'd approach France. Having 2 hookers of that quality offers us a lot of versatility in how we play. And also how we select our back row I'd say.
    Fireball07 wrote: »
    He should have gone after the debacle against England, and while I hate to see another 6N possibly squandered, hopefully that will be it.

Yesterday was encouraging but doesn't mean Kidney should stay.

It could be, however unlikely, that the changes in the coaching staff are actually starting to work out. Who knows. I felt they approached both tests very well. If this is actually the case and we turn around and play excellent rugby throughout the 6 Nations then it'll be very interesting to see what happens. If we regress again to the levels of last years 6 nations then I think his fate is sealed

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Yeah it'll be very interesting to see how things go at hooker in the 6 Nations. I think we could see Strauss playing against Wales and Scotland, Best against England and Italy... And I have no idea how we'd approach France. Having 2 hookers of that quality offers us a lot of versatility in how we play. And also how we select our back row I'd say.

Strauss for France, just for the sake of mobility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Think Strauss is a better impact player and so would go with Best, might be a case for rotating them in the back to back fixtures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Can anyone tell me the best stats sites out there?

Opta, ESPN Scrum etc. Are there any better ones?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Can anyone tell me the best stats sites out there?

Opta, ESPN Scrum etc. Are there any better ones?

If you have Opta then you are set.

• Site Banned Posts: 47 Me Tilty

ROG still showing he has a lot to offer against the Argies. Great to see his international points ticking over. Hopefully he will close in in the top spot

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

With Strauss ad Best at hooker it will be great to have competition there again. Back to the days if flannery v best. Different players but we will be able to play either depending on game plan and fom etc.

Will be a much more positive debate than sexton vs. Rog was around here I imagine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭seanm92

Just out of interest has Gilroy ever played at centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

seanm92 wrote: »
    Just out of interest has Gilroy ever played at centre?

Not at senior level anyway, i really think hes best suited to wing and should stay there so i wouldn't be a supporter of moving him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

shuffol wrote: »
    If it is the case hopefully Kidney is made aware that his contract wont be renewed, for his own sake and also so he'll be less conservative in the 6N and make the job of his sucessor a little easier.

The thing is the 6N are the longest time each season the national coach gets with his players. Letting Kidney have the next one means the new coach will have just two 6N pre RWC.

I'd get rid of Kidney now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

Not at senior level anyway, i really think hes best suited to wing and should stay there so i wouldn't be a supporter of moving him.

Exactly

Leave him there. Earls is paying for being moved around, don't let the same happen to Gilroy. A natural finisher, has to be left on the wing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

Me Tilty wrote: »
    ROG still showing he has a lot to offer against the Argies. Great to see his international points ticking over. Hopefully he will close in in the top spot

eh wut?

• Site Banned Posts: 47 Me Tilty

eh wut?
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_leading_rugby_union_test_point_scorers#section_1

Another 13 points and ROG will be 3rd on the all time points list. And important achievement for the country and the man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭goreyguy

Post AI thoughts:

Front Row: Have four very good potential starters in Healy, Best, Ross and Strauss. Need to see more of Bent before I'm ready to say he is ahead of a fully fit and in form Fitzpatrick. Backup LH should still be Court, baffling use of Kilcoyne. If he isn't ready for the step up Denis Buckley has shown plenty to suggest he might be.

Second Row: Ryan and McCarthy have shown they are a very good combo for us and they get through a lot of work. DOC has shown some good form, Touhy limited in his chances but played well versus Fiji. Henderson has to be the long term plan. Anymore from POC would be a bonus.

Back Row: Henry was excellent, making a case for continued inclusion. Heaslip was Heaslip, wish he carried a bit more as he usually does well when he does. POM showed some potential and he works very hard but has discipline issues that could cost a game in the 6N. With Ferris being very unpredictable week to week health wise. A back three of SOB, Henry and Heaslip could be on the cards come 6N.

Half Backs: Murray has looked improved, box kicking is still average and should be avoided. All in all he stock is up in my book. Needs to be more consistent. Disappointing that Reddan and Marshall didnt have more opportunities. Sexton is clearly the best 10 in the home nations and its obvious when he plays flatter we are a much better team, ROG needs to call it a day, brings nothing to the team anymore. Jackson was very impressive versus Fiji, should be on the bench every game come 6N.

Centres: Darcy was decent, he is a limited player these days but what he does do, he does very well. Realistically he is nearing the end and plans should be made to replace him. Marshall was good versus Fiji and showed a lot. Needs more time at Ulster and to keep improving but very talented player. Would have liked to see McFadden play some 12 but Kidney clearly feels he isn't an option there. Earls at 13, is still questionable. Think he is a good 13 at times but is very inconsistent, he is a better player at 11. Cave deserves to be tested more there.

Back 3: Bowe was very good again, Trimble is getting squeezed out but I feel he was treated harshly and scapegoated for the SA game. Obviously Gilroy is electric, anyone who has been watching rugby for the last two years knew this, which is why its baffling it too so long for him to get his first cap. Zebo was decent cover at 15 considering his inexperience. No point at all in Hurley playing versus Fiji.

Kidney: Probably deserves to finish his contract, but that's it. Barring a GS playing rugby like yesterday his days are numbered, use of the bench is poor and trying to make excuses for out ranking position by pointing out the world cup warm ups was embarrassing. We got the once a year, back to the walls performance from a Kidney team yesterday versus a poor Arg team.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement