Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

Exactly

Leave him there. Earls is paying for being moved around, don't let the same happen to Gilroy. A natural finisher, has to be left on the wing

Ye Earls' versatility is stopping him becoming the best he can be, a country with a limited pool of players like ourselves can't afford to let that happen to our most talented players on a regular basis. Gilroy to stay on the Wing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Me Tilty wrote: »
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_leading_rugby_union_test_point_scorers#section_1

Another 13 points and ROG will be 3rd on the all time points list. And important achievement for the country and the man

Interesting. So, in points per game he's behind:-

Dan Carter
    Jonny Wilkinson
    Neil Jenkins
    Diego Domiguez
    Stephen Jones
    Andrew Mehrtens
    Michael Lynagh
    Percy Montgomery
    Matt Burke
    Gavin Hastings
    Hugo Porta
    Grant Fox
    Morne Steyn
    Gonzalo Queseda.

He did manage to score 0.53 points per game more than Humphreys thopugh so that's that argument settled.

As for him having something still to give - yes he has. His farewell and thanks for the watch speech.

• Site Banned Posts: 47 Me Tilty

jacothelad wrote: »

Interesting. So, in points per game he's behind:-

1 1381 Dan Carter 22px-Flag_of_New_Zealand.svg.pngNew Zealand (1381) 93 14.81 29t 243c 244p 6dg 2003–2012 [1] 2 1246 Jonny Wilkinson 22px-Flag_of_England.svg.pngEngland (1179)
    British and Irish Lions (67) 97 12.85 7t 169c 255p 36dg 1998–2011 [2][3] 3 1090 Neil Jenkins 22px-Flag_of_Wales_2.svg.pngWales (1049)
    British and Irish Lions (41) 91 11.98 11t 131c 248p 10dg 1990–2003 [4]

5 1010 Diego Domínguez 22px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.pngItaly (983)
    22px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.pngArgentina (27) 76 13.29 9t 133c 209p 20dg 1991–2003
    6 970 Stephen Jones 22px-Flag_of_Wales_2.svg.pngWales (917)
    British and Irish Lions (53) 110 8.82 7t 160c 198p 7dg 1998–2011 [6] 7 967 Andrew Mehrtens 22px-Flag_of_New_Zealand.svg.pngNew Zealand (967) 70 13.81 7t 169c 186p 12dg 1995–2004 [7] 8 911 Michael Lynagh 22px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.pngAustralia 72 12.65 17t 140c 177p 9dg 1984–1995 [8] 9 893 Percy Montgomery 22px-Flag_of_South_Africa.svg.pngSouth Africa 102 8.75 25t 153c 148p 6dg 1997–2008 [9] 10 878 Matt Burke 22px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.pngAustralia 81 10.84 29t 104c 174p 1dg 1993–2004 [8]

12 733 Gavin Hastings 22px-Flag_of_Scotland.svg.pngScotland (667)
    British Lions (66) 67 10.94 18t 87c 160p 0dg 1986–1995

14 653 Hugo Porta 22px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.pngArgentina (592)
    South American Jaguars (61) 68 9.6 12t 91c 114p 28dg 1971–1990 [12][13] 15 645 Grant Fox 22px-Flag_of_New_Zealand.svg.pngNew Zealand 46 14.02 1t 118c 128p 7dg 1985–1993 [14]

18 486 Morne Steyn 22px-Flag_of_South_Africa.svg.pngSouth Africa 40 12.15 7t 59c 105p 8dg 2009-2012

20 486 Gonzalo Quesada 22px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.pngArgentina 38 12.79 4t 68c 103p 7dg 1996-2003
    An unimportant stat that is unreflective of mastery of the game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_leading_rugby_union_test_point_scorers#section_1

Another 13 points and ROG will be 3rd on the all time points list. And important achievement for the country and the man

It was more the 'ROG has shown he's still a lot more to give' part that baffled me tbh.

You've seen what he did for the last try right?

Can only imagine what would be said had Sexton or Jackson done that. Benny Hill stuff!

It was more the 'ROG has shown he's still a lot more to give' part that baffled me tbh.

You've seen what he did for the last try right?

Can only imagine what would be said had Sexton or Jackson done that. Benny Hill stuff!
    That was to test alertness of his teammates in the closing stages of a games. Showed what was lacking tbh

• Advertisement

That was to test alertness of his teammates in the closing stages of a games. Showed what was lacking tbh

What? On-field Stupidity? I didn't think that was one of ROG's strengths but apparently I've missed something.

jacothelad wrote: »

What? On-field Stupidity? I didn't think that was one of ROG's strengths but apparently I've missed something.
    Alertness. Keenness of thought. Being alive in the closing stages of a game

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

So in what way was he testing them then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

He kicked it away to test his team mates You're being serious? He fluffed his kick and we'd now be having to defend Jackson if he did similar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

Must have been a great moment in the dressing room after the match when ROG tells them "Sure wasn't I only testin' ya like".

These are exactly the sort of mistakes that led to Dan Parks being dropped,yet ROG is still wasting space in the squad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

shuffol wrote: »
    If it is the case hopefully Kidney is made aware that his contract wont be renewed, for his own sake and also so he'll be less conservative in the 6N and make the job of his sucessor a little easier.
    What if he wins the championship & a grand slam to boot, does he still get sacked then?

He kicked it away to test his team mates You're being serious? He fluffed his kick and we'd now be having to defend Jackson if he did similar
    The test was to put pressure on the defence knowing the game was won

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Lelantos wrote: »
    What if he wins the championship & a grand slam to boot, does he still get sacked then?

Well he wont be sacked regardless. But as to whether he'd be kept on it depends on the manner of the win imo. If he puts out a completely different team playing good rugby and utilises the talent available to him I'd say he'd get an extension.

If we play like we usually play under him with the same faces picked despite better alternatives but somehow scrape a grand slam out of it I'd say he'd step down knowing he'd be going out on a high rather than waiting to be thrown out on his arse when we hit the inevitable losing streak again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

The test was to put pressure on the defence knowing the game was won

Yep........kidney was overheard telling him "Rog i want you to make an absolute fúck up of a 22 drop out to test the team.....when the attacking player comes at you, do not, i repeat do not attempt to tackle him. Let him steamroller you to test the defence around you"....Now Rog you know what you have to do...:rolleyes:

mfceiling wrote: »

Yep........kidney was overheard telling him "Rog i want you to make an absolute fúck up of a 22 drop out to test the team.....when the attacking player comes at you, do not, i repeat do not attempt to tackle him. Let him steamroller you to test the defence around you"....Now Rog you know what you have to do...:rolleyes:
    The game was won. You need to make use of these international games. It was a great test for the defence in the closing minutes

The game was won. You need to make use of these international games. It was a great test for the defence in the closing minutes

Very good. What about his kick in the closing moments against South Africa?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Bollocks........no international player deliberately fúcks up to "test" his team mates.

Very good. What about his kick in the closing moments against South Africa?
    What about it? Orthodox back play wasn't working. You would prefer to remain predictable ?

What about it? Orthodox back play wasn't working. You would prefer to remain predictable ?

Well handing the game to South Africa would certainly be the last thing they'd expect, so at least it definitely wasn't predictable. Fair play ROG.

It's great to know ROG doesn't make mistakes though. Ireland have only failed to win against top opposition since 2009 with him starting because he's testing out those around him who just aren't on his level.

Well handing the game to South Africa would certainly be the last thing they'd expect, so at least it definitely wasn't predictable. Fair play ROG.

It's great to know ROG doesn't make mistakes though. Ireland have only failed to win against top opposition since 2009 with him starting because he's testing out those around him who just aren't on his level.
    Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Obvious troll is obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

tolosenc wrote: »
    Obvious troll is obvious.

Obvious troll is also now banned

This has to be one of the most pathetic excuses for a player making a pigs ear of something in the history of any sport. Spot the deliberate mistake.
    If a person is clinically insane, by which I mean you wake up in the morning and you think you are an onion, then you make sense. As for the world who don't think they are a vegetable, it's a load of 17 week old fish that's been stored in your underpants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Lads come on he's obviously on a wind up and has been dealt with! Leave it so!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Blut2

Lads come on he's obviously on a wind up and has been dealt with! Leave it so!

The rather worrying thing is that what he was saying is quite within the realms of possibility to hear from Kidney in a post-match interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭dtpc191991

Blut2 wrote: »

The rather worrying thing is that what he was saying is quite within the realms of possibility to hear from Kidney in a post-match interview.

Maybe it was Kidney. XD

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭leonard7

a few of you fellas were had by Tilty shame on you...a funny read nonetheless

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,114 ✭✭✭fitz

Matt Williams talking complete sense in today's times.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/1126/1224327094319.html

The less said about Thornley's latest pro-Kidney puff piece the better.
    Embarrassing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Anybody notice the alleged gouging incident?
    PETER O'Mahony has refused to be drawn on whether an Argentina player attempted to gouge him in Ireland's brilliant win at the Aviva Stadium.

It will be revealed today if a player from the Pumas is to be cited for an ugly incident midway through the second half.

O'Mahony was the victim in the altercation when the Irish players could be clearly heard over referee Jaco Peyper's microphone shouting: "Eyes, eyes".

O'Mahony would not comment on the alleged incident. He was in Musgrave Park last night for Munster's loss to Scarlets and showed no signs of any damage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Anybody notice the alleged gouging incident?

Hand shoved in a face amidst a scuffle. Looked like a thing of nothing to me. Someone posted a gif somewhere on the match thread.

Here it is.

omahonygouge.gif

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement