Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭DeDoc

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Don't think that's a central contract issue. Any Irish player involved in international games faces restricted game time at provincial level.

In the event that the provinces themselves paid the 'provincial part' of the salaries, then the bigger provinces could afford to pay more for this component. You'd have the Irish provinces competing against each other and not just against England (not so much these days) and France. And having two parts of the IRFU bidding against itself doesn't make much sense

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I got my wires crossed Re:Darcys contract. Its a 2 year Leinster contract, not an IRFU central contract. I still stand by what I said about DO'C though. He should never have been offered a new central contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

DeDoc wrote: »
    In the event that the provinces themselves paid the 'provincial part' of the salaries, then the bigger provinces could afford to pay more for this component.
    McFadden and SOB are on provinicial contracts, both effect ed by IRFU player management

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

McFadden and SOB are on provinicial contracts, both effect ed by IRFU player management

So if the guys on provincial contracts are subject to player management, can be pulled from a game at Ireland's behest and so on, what is the functional difference between a provincial contract and a central one?

Is it just the salaries involved?

So if the guys on provincial contracts are subject to player management, can be pulled from a game at Ireland's behest and so on, what is the functional difference between a provincial contract and a central one?

Is it just the salaries involved?
    Non centrally contracted players get Match fees when selected internationally.

The provinces can't negotiate with centrally contracted players (or players negotiating a central contract) even if they have the money to make an offer.

Munster wanted Buckley to renew for this season but because he was negotiating with the IRFU. When negotiation broke down Munster were not allowed make an offer so he took an offer from Sale.

I don't think you can move provinces when one central contract expires.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

Clegg wrote: »
    I got my wires crossed Re:Darcys contract. Its a 2 year Leinster contract, not an IRFU central contract. I still stand by what I said about DO'C though. He should never have been offered a new central contract.

People were slamming him on this forum last season following games that he was actually playing extremely well in, with next-to-nothing in missed tackles, high number of tackles made, almost 100% lineout ball, good calling, excellent at rucks and timely to almost every breakdown. He is also an important scrummager.

Then they moaned about penalty counts while ignoring the players with higher penalty counts in same games.

He has plenty to deliver and his experience is also vital, particularly at this next level up from ERC.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

JustinDee wrote: »
    He has plenty to deliver and his experience is also vital, particularly at this next level up from ERC.

I'm sure he does. But with two years to run on his central contract he's not even first choice at his province anymore. No one thinks he should have retired, just been moved off a central contract (or not given quite such a long one).

Non centrally contracted players get Match fees when selected internationally.

The provinces can't negotiate with centrally contracted players (or players negotiating a central contract) even if they have the money to make an offer.

Munster wanted Buckley to renew for this season but because he was negotiating with the IRFU. When negotiation broke down Munster were not allowed make an offer so he took an offer from Sale.

I don't think you can move provinces when one central contract expires.

You mean Tony Buckley was lost to Irish rugby over contractual turf wars?! Heads must roll!!

Thanks for the clarification; it doesn't really answer why we'd all get so upset about D'Arcy or DOC getting a central contract rather than a provincial one (or does it?)

You mean Tony Buckley was lost to Irish rugby over contractual turf wars?! Heads must roll!!

Thanks for the clarification; it doesn't really answer why we'd all get so upset about D'Arcy or DOC getting a central contract rather than a provincial one (or does it?)
    There is a perception that since the IRFU pays match fees (and possibly training fees) to non centrally contracted players that play for the national team that Declan Kidney is pressurised to pick centrally contracted players in his squads and in his teams.

Gert Smal once said something along the lines of 'We've invested a lot in Buckley so we feel he needs to have more chances with the international' People assume central contract player payed money by IRFU so the player must be picked

• Registered Users Posts: 18 axel the red

Well thank fcuk for that!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

There is a perception that since the IRFU pays match fees (and possibly training fees) to non centrally contracted players that play for the national team that Declan Kidney is pressurised to pick centrally contracted players in his squads and in his teams.

Gert Smal once said something along the lines of 'We've invested a lot in Buckley so we feel he needs to have more chances with the international' People assume central contract player payed money by IRFU so the player must be picked

Kidney wasn't pressurised into bringing Luke fitz & O'Leary to the world cup (both on central contracts).

Was Gert Smal not talking about the time invested in Buckley rather than the money?

jm08 wrote: »
    Kidney wasn't pressurised into bringing Luke fitz & O'Leary to the world cup (both on central contracts).

Was Gert Smal not talking about the time invested in Buckley rather than the money?

He couldn't have tried harder to do just this.

While I agree with about Fitz TOL had injury worries that he played through the WC warm ups with. Once it was decided that he wasn't going he got it treated. Remember he didn't play for Munster till the 28th of October so I'm assuming Kidney wanted to bring him but his condition wasn't good enough.

I heard the same thing about Smal Buckley but a lot of people assume that he was talking about money which is why a lot of people think Kidney is pressurised to pick centrally contracted players

Personally I think that he doesn't necessarily pick centrally contracted players but in a close call he will pick the centrally contracted player

I'm sure he does. But with two years to run on his central contract he's not even first choice at his province anymore. No one thinks he should have retired, just been moved off a central contract (or not given quite such a long one).

DOC would still walk into most teams around. Think he had a few good offers as well and with POC's injury worries at the time, it wasn't a good time to let him be heading off for foreign shores.

While I agree with about Fitz TOL had injury worries that he played through the WC warm ups with. Once it was decided that he wasn't going he got it treated. Remember he didn't play for Munster till the 28th of October so I'm assuming Kidney wanted to bring him but his condition wasn't good enough.

I heard the same thing about Smal Buckley but a lot of people assume that he was talking about money which is why a lot of people think Kidney is pressurised to pick centrally contracted players

Personally I think that he doesn't necessarily pick centrally contracted players but in a close call he will pick the centrally contracted player

Probably wanted to bring him because of the type of player he is (physical). If Conor Murray (physical type player) had not emerged, he probably would still have gone.

Luke though is a very good example of how central contracts are not the decider. He would have gone instead of McFadden if that was the case.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

DOC would still walk into most teams around. Think he had a few good offers as well and with POC's injury worries at the time, it wasn't a good time to let him be heading off for foreign shores.

D'Arcy didn't head off to foreign shores when he lost his central contract...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Did anyone?

That, frankly, was never going to happen. The tax rebate is the greatest player-retention tool the IRFU have.

A centre would not have been as much in demand as someone like a lock. Nathan Hines had no problem picking up a contract with a top club in France at his age. Darce had injury problems as well. DOC has been remarkably fit over the years and no one knew how Paul O'Connell's injury was going to work out.

That, frankly, was never going to happen. The tax rebate is the greatest player-retention tool the IRFU have.

It didn't stop Buckley going. There are massive amounts of money in France that would well make up for it. And DOC could have come back and got a year or two to wind down his career at 33/34 in Munster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

It didn't stop Buckley going. There are massive amounts of money in France that would well make up for it. And DOC could have come back and got a year or two to wind down his career at 33/34 in Munster.
    My god, was Tony Buckley on a central contract?

Not comparing like with like.

Given that Buckley was a peipheral figure for most of his career in Ireland, I'm going to wager that his salary (and therefore tax rebate) was a fraction of O'Callaghan's, so not nearly as much motivation to stay.

My god, was Tony Buckley on a central contract?

He was. And he was offered another one but got a better offer from Sale. (IRFU a 1 year one, Sale 3 years).

Supply and demand for props would explain the 3 year contract from Sale.

Given that Buckley was a peipheral figure for most of his career in Ireland, I'm going to wager that his salary (and therefore tax rebate) was a fraction of O'Callaghan's, so not nearly as much motivation to stay.

I'd say DOC would easily double his earnings in France. (Chabal on 1m a year or something crazy like that). If he went for 2 years which would make him 33/34, he'd get an Irish contract for at least a year so could get his tax rebate.

I'd say DOC would easily double his earnings in France. (Chabal on 1m a year or something crazy like that). If he went for 2 years which would make him 33/34, he'd get an Irish contract for at least a year so could get his tax rebate.

I disagree that he would double his earnings and I certainly disagree that Munster/IRFU would welcome him back with open arms at age 33/34 just to give him a dig out with his taxes (at least, I would hope they wouldn't).

Chabal makes ridiculous money but that is for his profile rather than his actual rugby ability; DOC would not be in the same league.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

I'd guess that they were on similar money. THs are very, very well paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭ray jay

Chabal on 1m a year or something crazy like that
    I don't believe that for a second. The highest wages I've heard of being offered by French clubs has been €400k, and that's for tightheads who are in high demand. Maybe you saw the figure for a multi year contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭DeDoc

http://frenchrugbyclub.com/Top-14/Top-14-2009-10/Top-14-Money-Talks-000999.html

suggests €400K or so for Chabal in wages, plus maybe €800K in endorsements etc

ray jay wrote: »
    I don't believe that for a second. The highest wages I've heard of being offered by French clubs has been €400k, and that's for tightheads who are in high demand. Maybe you saw the figure for a multi year contract?

I remember reading somewhere that he is the highest paid rugby player in the world. It seems he was on half a million for Sale and he went to Racing, a club with a huge budget.
    The backers were numerous meaning his off-field activities now earn him twice as much as the half a million euros a year paid to him by his club Sale.

Considering he is nothing much in demand like TH, outhalf, its an amazing amount of money to pay him. It was reported recently that Paul O'Connell was on 350K per annum to give it some perspective.

• Advertisement

I'd guess that they were on similar money. Good THs are very, very well paid.

Fixed that for you.

Whatever BJ Botha and John Afoa are getting paid is money well spent. Buckley, on the other hand... Meh, I don't care what he is/was paid to be honest, at least now he's shipped off to England Deccie won't feel the need to keep picking him, and that's the important thing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement