Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

jm08 wrote: »
    .ak wrote: »
    Someone mentioned it previously that Murray has already had more Irish starts in a row than Sexton has had in his Irish career. I think that's an absolute sin when you're trying to help your future playmaker settle into the squad.

Not true - its amazing how fiction becomes fact even when you correct them on it :rolleyes:

Sexton started the following games in a row (6): Aus, SA, NZ, AUS, Italy & France.

Murray has started 4 in a row so far (Italyx2, wales x2) (4)
    You are omitting Ireland - Samoa here right?

Its amazing how fiction becomes fact even when you correct them on it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

I often ask why Sexton looks so comfortable in blue, and not in green. Ofcourse it's a ridiculous question as there are about 100 different possible reasons. I disregard the reason that 'international rugby' poses bigger pressure and he's not up to that. He is. We've seen him perform in some Leinster's and Ireland's biggest games. To break it down simply I think the set up is just two worlds apart, and quite simply Sexton is not 100% comfortable with the Irish setup. Maybe as mentioned above it's issues with 'team orders'. It'd be nice if he did what the mentioned player did and disregarded team orders and just worked with his inside center that he's used too...

But, if that happens, what does that say about the Irish setup? :eek:

i don't think its rocket science to figure out that if you are playing week-in, week-out with the same people in the same competition you are going to get more comfortable in the situation and be more confident. thats the challenge of international sport , teams get together for a few weeks a year , with new coaches and different people around them , they are out of their comfort zone . just like when schmidt came to leinster , it took 4 or five games before the team started to come together and that was with the squad all knowing each other very well .

another example would be the Lions - all top class players with top class coaches and they find it more difficult to win than a country team would even though they might be together for 2 months at a time .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭For Paws

'..you'd drop Heaslip & SOB for POM and Donncadh Ryan????????'

I'm not in favor of 'dropping' Heaslip & SOB. They play part of the game, the part that's best suited to their major abilities / talents / experience.

Games are won & lost in the last 20, not the first 60.
    Would you rather be subbing guys on for Heaslip & SOB when we're 8 points down with 12 mins left ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

smurphy29 wrote: »
    Donncha Ryan at 8. A position we have no record of him ever playing, and to which he is hopelessly unsuited. Away to France. Where do these posters dream this stuff up?

George Hook and the Indo

Heres another piece of drivel for you
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/six-nations/irish-news/conor-murray-has-been-let-down-by-a-lack-of-intensity-from-his-forwards-3034617.html

Horrible stuff altogether

• Advertisement

For Paws wrote: »

I'm not in favor of 'dropping' Heaslip & SOB.

You said put Ryan at 8; Where does Heaslip play so?? Who plays at 6 and 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

SOB to 2. Heaslip to 7. Ryan to 8. And Best to bench as cover for Lock/Backrow/Hooker/Waterboy/Sexton.

:D

If you're looking to Wikipedia to teach you about rugby then I think you can be excused for thinking Donncha Ryan could handle playing 8 for the first time in a test match. In reality it will absolutely never happen for extremely obvious reasons to anyone who has ever played 8, or perhaps even watched a few games of rugby!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

As per my other post

French Team to Play Ireland
    15 C Poitrenaud 14 V Clerc* 13 A Rougerie 12 W Fofana 11 J Malzieu 10 F Trinh-Duc 9 M Parra 1 J-B Poux 2 D Szarzewski 3 N Mas 4 P Pape 5 Y Maestri 6 T Dusautoir (captain) 7 Julien Bonnaire 8 I Harinordoquy

Replacements: 16 W Servat 17 V Debaty 18 L Nallet 19 L Picamoles 20 J Dupuy 21 L Beauxis 22 M Mermoz

*Dam Clerc, dam you to hell (shakes fist)

leftleg wrote: »
    His passing, better than Reddan's and even Grand Slam winner Tomas O'Leary's before him, is as swift as required,

I stopped reading after that.

• Advertisement

why do i get the feelin that you'd be moaning that he was being flogged to death if he started 4 internationals in a row in the same international window. he started (and was not used as a sub for 6 international games ).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Here's a starting 15 dedicated to the most insane suggestions I've seen on this forum, some players will have to be cloned though:

All the ones in bold I've seen suggested here at various points, it's also worth noting some of these stem directly from the noggin of a certain RTE pundit

1 Healy
    2 Sean O Brien Healy
    3 Ross
    4 POC
    5 DOC
    6 Ferris
    7 BOD/Strauss
    8 D Ryan
    9 Murray
    10 Sexton
    11 Sean O Brien
    12 Tommy Bowe/ Sean O Brien
    13 Earls
    14 Trimble
    15 Kearney

As per my other post

French Team to Play Ireland
    15 C Poitrenaud 14 V Clerc* 13 A Rougerie 12 W Fofana 11 J Malzieu 10 F Trinh-Duc 9 M Parra 1 J-B Poux 2 D Szarzewski 3 N Mas 4 P Pape 5 Y Maestri 6 T Dusautoir (captain) 7 Julien Bonnaire 8 I Harinordoquy

Replacements: 16 W Servat 17 V Debaty 18 L Nallet 19 L Picamoles 20 J Dupuy 21 L Beauxis 22 M Mermoz

*Dam Clerc, dam you to hell (shakes fist)

Forget Clerc im more worried about Poux at 1; I really wanted it to be Debaty; its going to be a long evening for Ross and Healy;

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

I'm not in favor of 'dropping' Heaslip & SOB. They play part of the game, the part that's best suited to their major abilities / talents / experience.

Games are won & lost in the last 20, not the first 60.
    Would you rather be subbing guys on for Heaslip & SOB when we're 8 points down with 12 mins left ?

games against france are lost in the first 20 - if we dont start well we're done. simple as.

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Here's a starting 15 dedicated to the most insane suggestions I've seen on this forum, some players will have to be cloned though:

All the ones in bold I've seen suggested here at various points, it's also worth noting some of these stem directly from the noggin of a certain RTE pundit

1 Healy
    2 Sean O Brien Healy
    3 Buckley
    4 Ferris
    5 DOC
    6 Ferris
    7 BOD/Strauss
    8 D Ryan
    9 Madigan
    10 Sexton
    11 Sean O Brien
    12 Sean O Brien
    13 Trimble
    14 Trimble
    15 Kearney

Made a few additions...

why do i get the feelin that you'd be moaning that he was being flogged to death if he started 4 internationals in a row in the same international window. he started (and was not used as a sub for 6 international games ).
    I have absolutely no idea. I was doing most of my complaining about O'Brien being completely omitted from the 22s for SA/NZ despite being the best player in Europe at the time. Also starting Hayes at TH in all three games, which was very beneficial obviously :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Made a few additions...

Was thinking about putting Madigan at 9 but for fear of a Leinster backlash :D

Also, I know it was debated on here, but now that it's in the papers (tabloids) I can't believe people are hammering on about the 'quality of ball' from the ruck.

I watched the first half again, and at almost every ruck we delivered great quality ball. The body positions of POC, Heaslip and SOB were excellent, getting the ball a good yard away from their feet, to the point the ref had to point out the offside line to the Italian players on several occasions. Even D'arcy who often gets caught going to ground was turning the 'gate' into an impossibly narrow gap.

The only time the 'clean ball' wasn't there was when Italy competed for it, and in the first half they really did a great job of it. There was on great turnover from Barbieri when he caught Sexton in the midfield. I was actually very impressed by Italy's skills at the breakdown in the first half.

That argument is rubbish tbh. Murray just needs to know where his first receiver is gonna be and he'll start to improve. And also he needs to hover behind the ruck, not in it.

Fishooks12 wrote: »

1 Sean O Brien
    2 Sean O Brien
    3 Sean O Brien
    4 Sean O Brien
    5 Sean O Brien
    6 Sean O Brien
    7 Sean O Brien
    8 Sean O Brien
    9 Sean O Brien
    10 Sean O Brien
    11 Sean O Brien
    12 Sean O Brien
    13 Sean O Brien
    14 Sean O Brien
    15 Sean O Brien

FYP :P

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

The game against Italy was a good example of what you do when playing 'poorer' sides.
    Wear down their defense by carrying for 60 mins, and then speed it up when tiredness sets in, miss-match appear, and mistakes are made. It's also the game France will play against us. I'd start Ferris 6, POM at 7 and D Ryan at 8, but bring in Jamie & SOB as the game opens up. Also stop using POC & DOC to carry, they rarely make the ground or commit as many defenders as our front 3.

As has already been said, that's just madness. Even if Ryan was an 8, which he never will be, why would you drop Heaslip onto the bench? I know I'd rather have him for 80 minutes than 20 minutes.

• Advertisement

Also, I know it was debated on here, but now that it's in the papers (tabloids) I can't believe people are hammering on about the 'quality of ball' from the ruck.

I watched the first half again, and at almost every ruck we delivered great quality ball. The body positions of POC, Heaslip and SOB were excellent, getting the ball a good yard away from their feet, to the point the ref had to point out the offside line to the Italian players on several occasions. Even D'arcy who often gets caught going to ground was turning the 'gate' into an impossibly narrow gap.

The only time the 'clean ball' wasn't there was when Italy competed for it, and in the first half they really did a great job of it. There was on great turnover from Barbieri when he caught Sexton in the midfield. I was actually very impressed by Italy's skills at the breakdown in the first half.

That argument is rubbish tbh. Murray just needs to know where his first receiver is gonna be and he'll start to improve. And also he needs to hover behind the ruck, not in it.

Not just the tabloids were saying the pack were delivering very poor ball and that they need to up their intensity at the breakdown - woody, horgan, jackman, quinlan were also saying it on various radio/tv shows.

Not just the tabloids were saying the pack were delivering very poor ball and that they need to up their intensity at the breakdown - woody, horgan, jackman, quinlan were also saying it on various radio/tv shows.

I'd agree the intensity we see from the pack wasn't there, atleast not how we're used to it when they play for their clubs, but the quality of ball given to Murray on saturday was more than fine.

If the quality was any better he'd be getting the ball handed to him on a red velvet cushion.

Farrelly strikes again

"The main area of debate centred around the marked increase in tempo and intensity which coincided with Eoin Reddan's appearance after 54 minutes and Conor Murray was swiftly hauled out, Lee Harvey Oswald-style, as the scapegoat for the relative turgidity of Ireland's previous play.

That was unfair on Murray, who remains Ireland's best shot at a touring Lion scrum-half since John Robbie and Colin Patterson went to South Africa 32 years ago."

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/six-nations/irish-news/hugh-farrelly-reddan-dynamism-can-help-irish-throw-off-the-shackles-3034618.html

Farrelly obviously thinks Kidney will be coaching the lions going on this piece of drivell

Farrelly strikes again

"The main area of debate centred around the marked increase in tempo and intensity which coincided with Eoin Reddan's appearance after 54 minutes and Conor Murray was swiftly hauled out, Lee Harvey Oswald-style, as the scapegoat for the relative turgidity of Ireland's previous play.

That was unfair on Murray, who remains Ireland's best shot at a touring Lion scrum-half since John Robbie and Colin Patterson went to South Africa 32 years ago."

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/six-nations/irish-news/hugh-farrelly-reddan-dynamism-can-help-irish-throw-off-the-shackles-3034618.html

I think I just vomited in my mouth a little bit. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Farrelly strikes again

Realistically he probably is. I can't see Reddan being brought...and Murray does have potential.

Although he does also support Reddan to start. Sitting both sides of the Fence there... Excellent journo isn't he? :)

I have absolutely no idea. I was doing most of my complaining about O'Brien being completely omitted from the 22s for SA/NZ despite being the best player in Europe at the time. Also starting Hayes at TH in all three games, which was very beneficial obviously :/

so, what is the correct number of games to play in a row for a new young player. are they up to playing 6 top tier countries one after the other ? should madigan be given 6 games in a row in leinster because he would need a run of games as a new young player and schmidt should forget this rotation lark ?

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Realistically he probably is. I can't see Reddan being brought...and Murray does have potential.

Ah I misread that. I thought he said he was the most likely to be starting SH for the lions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

He is our best shot...

And by that, I mean we have no shot. The Lions scrum half will be Phillips, with either Cusiter or Blair on the bench!

• Advertisement

so, what is the correct number of games to play in a row for a new young player. are they up to playing 6 top tier countries one after the other ? should madigan be given 6 games in a row in leinster because he would need a run of games as a new young player and schmidt should forget this rotation lark ?

why should people respond to your obviously tainted questions when everytime they question your errors you simply dig the heels in deeper and identify yet ANOTHER level of "problem" instead of simply admitting that you're wrong?

It's beyond boring.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement