Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

leftleg wrote: »
    Exactly; why he is he not being used??

he played for the wolfhounds, didn't he. mustn't have impressed.

in the ireland-connacht game in the world cup warmup, he started and murray came on ... murray was streets ahead of him in that game and boss looked really disappoined when he came off as he thought he had blown his chance of getting to the world cup.

How well did he perform against montpellier?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭bossa_nova

....No change from last week, would have atleast thought Ryan would start:(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Same team, I've officially lost my faith in Deccie.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

What an absolute farce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

And so it goes on for another week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Well done Deccie, successful troll is successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Same team, I've officially lost my faith in Deccie.
    You actually had faith in Eddie with a slap head!!

jm08 wrote: »
    he played for the wolfhounds, didn't he. mustn't have impressed.

in the ireland-connacht game in the world cup warmup, he started and murray came on ... murray was streets ahead of him in that game and boss looked really disappoined when he came off as he thought he had blown his chance of getting to the world cup.

How well did he perform against montpellier?

Murray looked like a headless chicken in that game.

... atleast he was fast I suppose. Boss looked solid I thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

I think we can stick a pin in Deccie at this stage. He hasnt a bulls notion of what he's doing.

.ak wrote: »
    Boss looked solid I thought.

Yeah so thats why hes not being picked so; thanks for answering my question so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

I am eternally optimistic and try to see the best in the lads, but Doc and Murray should not be in the 15. Its plain to see Ryan and Reddan have more to give.

Maybe its all a grand scheme between Kidney and Hugh Farrelly to put an end to online forums, its been deserted here the last few squad announcements.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

... atleast he was fast I suppose. Boss looked solid I thought.

ah, i get it now .;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Most of the team picks itself and that is fair enough I suppose.

The selection of Murray can at least be put down to giving youth a chance, building a relationship with Sexton.

But how on EARTH is DOC still in the 22, nevermind starting. I just simply cannot understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Kidney's consistent, I'll give him that.

Disappointed that there were no changes but my ideal team had only two changes [DR for DOC, ER for CM] so I'm relatively happy.

GWAN IRELAND

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

The lions 22 for the 1st test if Deccie gets the job. You heard it here first:

British & Irish Lions (vs South AfricaAustralia, 3rd1st Test)

15 Rob Kearney (Leinster / Ireland)
    14 Ugo Monye (Harlequins / England)
    13 Tommy Bowe (Ospreys / Ireland)
    12 Riki Flutey (London Wasps / England)
    11 Shane Williams (Ospreys / Wales)
    10 Stephen Jones (Scarlets / Wales)
    9 Mike Phillips (Ospreys / Wales)

8 Jamie Heaslip (Leinster / Ireland)
    7 Martyn Williams (Cardiff Blues / Wales)
    6 Joe Worsley (London Wasps / England)
    5 Paul O’Connell (Munster / Ireland, Captain)
    4 Simon Shaw (London Wasps / England)
    3 Phil Vickery (London Wasps / England)
    2 Matthew Rees (Scarlets / Wales)
    1 Andrew Sheridan (Sale Sharks / England)

Replacements

16 Ross Ford (Edinburgh / Scotland)
    17 John Hayes (Munster / Ireland)
    18 Alun-Wyn Jones (Ospreys / Wales)
    19 David Wallace (Munster / Ireland)
    20 Tom Croft (Leicester Tigers / England)
    21 Harry Ellis (Leicester Tigers / England)
    22 James Hook (Ospreys / Wales)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 brash_piano

Disappointing to see that there are no changes. One begins to wonder what more Donnacha Ryan can do to get selected, the mind really boggles. I think it's a fair comment to say that DOC does a lot of the unseen work; if you take unseen work as a euphemism for non-existent work. I think he's seriously handcapping the team as we're effectively playing with 14 men, albeit getting by with super-human performances from O'Connell. I don't think O'Callaghan is lazy but his reading of the game is poor and he seems to react so late that he renders himself ineffective.

The question regarding Murray is more complicated but to my eyes Ireland have played the best rugby of Kidney's tenure against England in last year's 6N and in WC against Australia. Reddan played a big part in these performances, though you have to keep in mind that both team and coaches had their backs against the all for both these fixtures also.

I wonder will we start to see dissension within the squad now, the players aren't idiots and they must be asking questions when form players aren't getting selected.

Slightly OT, I'm really starting to lose faith in Gerry Thornley now. For so long a bastion of sense and fairness, it's discouraging to see him act as an advocate for Kidney's selection and stewardship rather than provide cold-headed critique and analysis. It seems like Kidney gets very little sensible critique (i.e. critique not emerging from Montrose) and that this is not a healthy situation. Would be interesting to know what others though of this.

Hope we can put in a performance this weekend but it will be against the odds if we do.

You mean like this

Headless-Chicken.jpg

Yeah so thats why hes not being picked so; thanks for answering my question so

He wasnt picked because Kidney decided to gamble on Murray. A gamble that didnt pay off, still isnt paying off and yet Kidney and other Murray fans cant seem to realise that he should never have been in the damn team in the first place.

He should be competing with (and would be losing to) Marshall for the bench spot this year. Instead he went to the world cup as starting SH, shows Kidneys ignorance more so than any lack of ability or form on Boss's part.

Otacon wrote: »
    Kidney's consistent, I'll give him that.

Disappointed that there were no changes but my ideal team had only two changes [DR for DOC, ER for CM] so I'm relatively happy.

GWAN IRELAND

Oi! less of the optimism

• Advertisement

He's being stubborn at this stage. He's basically saying 'I picked Murray and I was right in doing so. You'll see... eventually'.

The problem is Murray's gameplan is going to be seriously questioned by the French. He'll probably have a shocker, and what will that do his confidence? Que two or three years before he gets into the stride of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    I am eternally optimistic and try to see the best in the lads, but Doc and Murray should not be in the 15. Its plain to see Ryan and Reddan have more to give.

Good case for Ryan and Reddan being involved alright but that French backrow would run through Reddan all day. If Murray ups the pace of his game he'll be fine. DOC hasn't done an awful lot wrong in his appearances to be fair, but I'd still start Ryan. At least Ryan gives us massive impact off the bench.

I don't know how many other changes people would have made - this is Paris after all.

If he names the same side for Scotland I'll despair more.

The lions 22 for the 1st test if Deccie gets the job. You heard it here first:

British & Irish Lions (vs South AfricaAustralia, 3rd1st Test)

15 Rob Kearney (Leinster / Ireland)
    14 Ugo Monye (Harlequins / England)
    13 Tommy Bowe (Ospreys / Ireland)
    12 Riki Flutey (London Wasps / England)
    11 Shane Williams (Ospreys / Wales)
    10 Stephen Jones (Scarlets / Wales)
    9 Mike Phillips (Ospreys / Wales) Conor Murray

8 Jamie Heaslip (Leinster / Ireland)
    7 Martyn Williams (Cardiff Blues / Wales)
    6 Joe Worsley (London Wasps / England)
    5 Paul O’Connell (Munster / Ireland, Captain)
    4 Simon Shaw (London Wasps / England) DOC
    3 Phil Vickery (London Wasps / England)
    2 Matthew Rees (Scarlets / Wales)
    1 Andrew Sheridan (Sale Sharks / England)

Replacements

16 Ross Ford (Edinburgh / Scotland)
    17 John Hayes (Munster / Ireland)
    18 Alun-Wyn Jones (Ospreys / Wales) D Ryan
    19 David Wallace (Munster / Ireland)
    20 Tom Croft (Leicester Tigers / England)
    21 Harry Ellis (Leicester Tigers / England)
    22 James Hook (Ospreys / Wales)

Fixed that for ya; your welcome

leakyboots wrote: »
    I don't know how many other changes people would have made - this is Paris after all.

Eh hello; POM at 7; D Ryan at 8; for starters....(joking of course)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

The Murray selection I don't really have a huge issue with, tbh. I thought he played well against Wales and was off the pace against Italy. Shouldn't be an instant dropping imo.

O'Callaghan, on the other hand...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Fair play great Message to send out to the Squad basically telling them no matter how good your form is you have no Chance of starting unless a player gets injured :rolleyes:

You mean like this

Headless-Chicken.jpg

That's him.

But in all seriousness, he was forcing his game that day. There was a big question mark over who Kidders would bring to the WC, and he was in no means sure of getting a spot. Infact, we all dreaded TOL would be first choice. I remember at the time thinking 'What is at? He's literally throwing his body on the line, no regard for his safety... it's a fricken friendly with Connacht'. He didn't actually do any of SH duties that day. I do remember thinking it was good that we had a player that was so up for the physical contact, but now it seems to be his downfall.

He's being stubborn at this stage. He's basically saying 'I picked Murray and I was right in doing so. You'll see... eventually'.

The problem is Murray's gameplan is going to be seriously questioned by the French. He'll probably have a shocker, and what will that do his confidence? Que two or three years before he gets into the stride of things.

Thats how Kidney operates, Ryan cant get into the 15 not because he hasnt earned it but because DOC has done nothing to be dropped. Same with Murray and Earls, doesnt matter if theres someone better that could be starting Kidney wont drop anyone unless they do something to be dropped.

All nice and friendly and all but it doesnt win matches because our best players can never make the damn team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Joke shop selection

While Murray won't be the winning or losing of the game for us I still think it's a slap in the face for Reddan, not to mention D Ryan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

I know it is hypothetical, but how many coaches on this planet would have picked this team after the last few matches in this 6 Nations?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement