Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

jm08 wrote: »
    Nope, I'm not wrong (and I'm not going to congratulate you for it :D )

You said hes defence coach link please or admit your wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

leftleg wrote: »

I think you might be taking this a little too personally..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Interesting piece on our "tactics" in this years 6 Nations, with a fairly funny pic at the top of the article.

http://dementedmole.com/2012/03/01/territorial-army/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

The Irish Times - Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Foley comes with a burgeoning reputation after being carefully cultivated by Munster. Initially he served as their A coach before learning the nuances of being a defensive coach – during which time one of the Munster backs :D described him as a “class” operator – and then helped to oversee a transformation in Munster’s forward play this season. With a little help from BJ Botha’s acquisition, their scrum (the Northampton games excepted) and their maul have become weapons again.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/0229/1224312523693.html

molloyjh wrote: »
    Interesting piece on our "tactics" in this years 6 Nations, with a fairly funny pic at the top of the article.

pictures tell a thousand words or posts

the-problem.jpg

• Advertisement

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I don't (though I think he gets better there with a run of games, but his passing simply isn't up to scratch), but more to the point it appears the Munster management don't either as they have gone and signed Laulau.

Earls would easily start ahead of Zebo, and Howlett only has one season left - at the end of which Zebo would hopefully be ready to step into the first team.

But there is also O'dea coming through who looks like a real talent.

Munster are down a couple of centres - barry murphy was not replaced this year.

Foley comes with a burgeoning reputation after being carefully cultivated by Munster. Initially he served as their A coach before learning the nuances of being a defensive coach – during which time one of the Munster backs :D described him as a “class” operator – and then helped to oversee a transformation in Munster’s forward play this season. With a little help from BJ Botha’s acquisition, their scrum (the Northampton games excepted) and their maul have become weapons again.

All that says is hes learning to be a defence coach; he most certainly is not that till McGahan leaves so youve jumped the gun there. Nice try

But there is also O'dea coming through who looks like a real talent.

Munster are down a couple of centres - barry murphy was not replaced this year.

30 caps was injured for years; They had plenty of time to cultivate something.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

All that says is hes learning to be a defence coach; he most certainly is not that till McGahan leaves so youve jumped the gun there. Nice try
    Give it a rest. He's been there defense coach for a while. Posters on here were praising what he has done with them after the leinster Munster match in October. He's a top coaching prospect.

Take it back so; i was wrong

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,114 ✭✭✭fitz

Pretty accurate assessment.

Wow. Someone "Gets" it.

That's an absolutely stunningly good piece.

Was going to quote it here, but feel people should follow the link.

30 caps was injured for years; They had plenty of time to cultivate something.

He was still on munster's books though with the hope of being fit.

Yea, they were cultivating earls.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭ongarite

Wow. Someone "Gets" it.

That's an absolutely stunningly good piece.

Was going to quote it here, but feel people should follow the link.

Fantastic piece and dissects our strategy and way of playing the game perfectly.
    Standing still while those around us move on.

That is a great article.

I think he has overlooked exactly why we were kicking. The game plan was definitely run first until our 9 failed. But his assessment of the kicking game was superb

We played the game, I thought, exactly how McQuilkan said we would.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Good article alright. They played right into the Welsh hands by kicking the ball away to them. That was after doing the same thing in the world cup and that was after doing the same thing in last seasons 6 nations... must be a sign of madness!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Brilliant piece, says everything that I am too lazy or stupid to write myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭boynesider

Not that great an article really. Takes an awful lot of words to say something that is very basic and which should be obvious to anyone who knows anything about rugby.

Ireland kick the ball far too much. This is a consequence of Kidneys stiflingly conservative gameplan, which I fear is inadequate and self-defeating in modern rugby. The game has moved on hugely from what it was when the Boks were dominant a few years ago, and Ireland have not only failed to progress as required, they have in fact regressed. And this with arguably the most talented group of players we've ever had. Makes you want to cry

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭wavehopper1

pictures tell a thousand words or posts

the-problem.jpg

Poor Reddan. This photo won't work for a caption competition as the only possible Irish entry is Reddan saying "jaysus, lads, what the f***?"

Even for New Zealanders, the only possible thing that the laughing Conrad Smith can be saying is "jaysus, lads, what the f***?"

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Leinster7

Nice article but its not news guys and no-one here should be surprised really. Munster won 2 HC's playing 10man rugby and DK was hired by the IRFU so why would Ireland play any differently? I've been banging this drum since I saw in 2010 how we just played the same sh*te that won the GS but other teams had worked us out and under the new tackle/ruck laws the old gameplans were so inefective. I feel sorry for the Leinster players.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,114 ✭✭✭fitz

Leinster7 wrote: »
    Nice article but its not news guys and no-one here should be surprised really. Munster won 2 HC's playing 10man rugby and DK was hired by the IRFU so why would Ireland play any differently? I've been banging this drum since I saw in 2010 how we just played the same sh*te that won the GS but other teams had worked us out and under the new tackle/ruck laws the old gameplans were so inefective. I feel sorry for the Leinster players.

I feel sorry for all the players tbh.

15502413.jpg

13349222.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

I've been banging this drum since I saw in 2010 how we just played the same sh*te that won
    Just on this point...
    Would you say that the way the team played in 2009 against France, Italy and Wales was the same? Be specific now. In what way was the gameplan vs France the very same as that against England or Scotland? How was the Wales game the same as any of those games?

JustinDee wrote: »
    I've been banging this drum since I saw in 2010 how we just played the same sh*te that won
    Just on this point...
    Would you say that the way the team played in 2009 against France, Italy and Wales was the same? Be specific now. In what way was the gameplan vs France the very same as that against England or Scotland? How was the Wales game the same as any of those games?
    I only remember the France game from 2009 and that was pretty dominated by kicking from us. Especially TOL.

Well I remember we were absolutely dreadful against England and BOD dragged us over the line. And I was full of nerves for the Wales game so I can't remember it too much. Would you say that kicking for territory was not a regular feature of our game plan in 09?

Just on this point...

Different rules Justin, different rules; the others have moved on while were still playing the same auld brand of rotten rugby

Just on this point...

Hoof the ball the other team and then cheat on the ground by not releasing or rolling away from the tackled player.

Hoof the ball the other team and then cheat on the ground by not releasing or rolling away from the tackled player.

Watch that game again then.
    The lineout was a very important part of the gameplan when in their third of the field. Compare the middle 20 of the game with the half-hour either side of it and then those half-hours. Entirely different tactics. Backrow used in the second-half for carries. Midfield in the first. Ball was well protected throughout and execution was pinpoint.

Against Wales, field-position was definitely the gameplan of the first thirty minutes. Possession was tough to come by, thus the game plan change of the final ten and first twenty of the second-half.

In none of these games, was "hoofing the ball to the other team" a part of it.

Watch that game again then.
    The lineout was a very important part of the gameplan when in their third of the field. Compare the middle 20 of the game with the half-hour either side of it and then those half-hours. Entirely different tactics. Backrow used in the second-half for carries. Midfield in the first. Ball was well protected throughout and execution was pinpoint.

Against Wales, field-position was definitely the gameplan of the first thirty minutes. Possession was tough to come by, thus the game plan change of the final ten and first twenty of the second-half.

In none of these games, was "hoofing the ball to the other team" a part of it.

Well it most certainly is now; and that was 3 years ago; why are we still discussing this?? All your reasoning proves is that the other teams have caught on to our tactics and, if anything we've got worse rather than they have got better.

• Advertisement

Well it most certainly is now; and that was 3 years ago; why are we still discussing this?? All your reasoning proves is that the other teams have caught on to our tactics and, if anything we've got worse rather than they have got better.

You'd swear Ireland have not won a game in three years and that the gameplans are identical in each of those wins. You also talk as if the game has changed radically in this space of time.
    It isn't rocket science and the game hasn't changed as much as some keep going about. Coaching a tackler and backup for the turnover isn't a toughie and Ireland do manage it, believe it or not. Hence the turnovers won.

I guess you'll still feel like this regardless of a win on Sunday, so I won't waste any more time arguing the same point yet again.
    Chin up and enjoy the game.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement