Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can I buy Classic Music CD's?

• 18-06-2010 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

HI ladies and gentlemen,
    I'm sure this has been discussed (apologies...couldn't find it)...but now that HMV on Grafton St., have destroyed Classical Music listening...where do you all go now to buy/listen/buy your classical music?

I used to love being able to listen to different versions of my favourite pieces and pick the one i liked...I don't want to buy blindly off the net (mp3 or amazon).

Has anyone found or could advise me on alternatives? Maybe there's a shop outthere that I just haven't heard of yet!?

Thanks all...

Sur

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Surion wrote: »
    HI ladies and gentlemen,
    I'm sure this has been discussed (apologies...couldn't find it)...but now that HMV on Grafton St., have destroyed Classical Music listening...where do you all go now to buy/listen/buy your classical music?

I used to love being able to listen to different versions of my favourite pieces and pick the one i liked...I don't want to buy blindly off the net (mp3 or amazon).

Has anyone found or could advise me on alternatives? Maybe there's a shop outthere that I just haven't heard of yet!?

Thanks all...

Sur

Tower Records on...er...the street just off Grafton Street. Can never remember the name. It's been the only place in Ireland to buy classical music for years.

Aside from that, Amazon and iTunes are your best bet, and to be honest, I've always found them to be better value and better choice than any brick-and-mortar store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Norrdeth

The best place in my opinion is the top floor classical section in Tower Records just off Grafton street.
    On Wicklow street I think.
    A very good selection and some nice prices occasionally,
    plus they have a huge Naxos section if your strapped for cash also.

Take a look/listen and tell me how it goes.
    =)

Edit: Didn't realise that The Mad Hatter got in there before me!
    Tower is Awesome! =D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭Clinker

I agree: Tower on Wicklow Street has been the only place for quite a while.

These days 99% of my buying is online: I find MDT is the cheapest and very good to deal with. JPC in Germany isn't as cheap, but often has things other places don't, and is great for being the first with new releases (if you're in a hurry). For example the new disc "Volodos in Vienna": MDT only had it in ordinary CD while JPC had it in CD, SACD, DVD and blu-ray. I bought the SACD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Clinker wrote: »
    I find MDT is the cheapest and very good to deal with.

+1 I find their deals very good, quick and in stock.

Sad to hear HMV classical is no more, it was never the same after Niamh behind the counter got promoted to a bigger job elsewhere. Their stocking was very good for a few years there.

Tower also have an excellent jazz and world music section.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Surion

THanks all for your help as always! I actually knew of Tower but have not gone back in a long time - since it seems the only option I'll be hitting them tomorrow on my lunch!

Incidentally - how do you you all recognise the best versions? Surely you don't buy and listen 2nd? How do you know you like version (a) from version (b) or (c)? What recording should I buy etc etc...

Thanks all...!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

THanks all for your help as always! I actually knew of Tower but have not gone back in a long time - since it seems the only option I'll be hitting them tomorrow on my lunch!

Incidentally - how do you you all recognise the best versions? Surely you don't buy and listen 2nd? How do you know you like version (a) from version (b) or (c)? What recording should I buy etc etc...

Thanks all...!
    There's one top floor of Easons Abbey St too, if you're ever stuck up the north. :)

Nevore wrote: »
    There's one top floor of Easons Abbey St too, if you're ever stuck up the north. :)

Oh yeah, I always forget about that one. The classical section there is literally coated in dust, but there are some good finds if you go digging.

Edit: I was thinking of the Tower above Eason on O'Connell St., actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Thanks all...!

You know, something I've never asked but surely you must be able to do is ask to listen to the CD before you buy it? Has anybody done this?

Personally, I just like buying various different recordings of the same piece, its always fun to have more than one recording. My brother, for instance, has about 10-15 different recordings of the Bach cello suites (and about 3 editions of them). But then again, he performs them, so he needs them for research more than anything.

There's nothing more refreshing than a new outlook on a piece that you've heard a million times though, especially one on a CD you bought on a whim.

Of course, this can lead to you buying God awful recordings as well.....but I suppose you can learn from them too! :)

OT I suppose.....but Tower Records on Wicklow St. ftw! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Oh yeah, I always forget about that one. The classical section there is literally coated in dust, but there are some good finds if you go digging.

Edit: I was thinking of the Tower above Eason on O'Connell St., actually.
    Same one. :P There's entrances on both streets to the same store.

Nevore wrote: »
    Same one. :P There's entrances on both streets to the same store.

Oh right, Ted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Norrdeth

Of course, this can lead to you buying God awful recordings as well.....but I suppose you can learn from them too! :)

I bought a recording of the Rite & the Firebird about a year ago in HMV (of all places) on the recommendation of classicfm cd of the year (blahblahblah) can't remember the conductor or the orchestra now, anyway it turned out to be a load of sh*te!
    The finale of Firebird with the ringing chords of the principle theme was all staccato and lumpy or like stepping from one foot to the other (as my teacher would say), it totally ruined the dramatic energy of the movement which was built up from the start.
    Every time I hear it now I have to turn it off, load of crap.

Kinda sounds like
    bumbumbumbumbumbum, timp, bumbumbumbumbumbumbum, timp, bumbumbumbumbumbum, timp, bumbumbumbumbumbumbum.
    Bum, bum, bum, bum, bum, bum, bum, bum, bum, bum, bum, bum, bum.
    Bum, bum, bum, bum, bum, bum, bum, bum, bum, bum, bum, bum, bum.
    Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuum, bum buuuuuuum, buum, buuuuuum.
    Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuum. fin.

P.s.
    Please ignore this post, I'm still drunk from last night.

Edit:
    found it!
    Warning, do not buy!
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stravinsky-Firebird-Suite-Rite-Spring/dp/B003SPLYUO/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1277546232&sr=8-1-fkmr2

Advertisement