Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A Few From Today

• 18-06-2010 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭

Le_Urban_3_by_superflyninja.jpg

Le_Urban_2_by_superflyninja.jpg

Le_Urban_1_by_superflyninja.jpg

Stripes_by_superflyninja.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭stabo

2nd and 3rd are great,nice tones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

like the last one a lot

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 328 ✭✭thefly

Whats the point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

thefly wrote: »
    Whats the point?

Your right.... I'm off to delete all my pictures

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i like them, tho they are all slighty fuzzy?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Tallon wrote: »
    Your right.... I'm off to delete all my pictures

its a valid question, a set of pictures, maybe its random, maybe its a theme

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

nice pics - did you mean to include person in first one? i imagine it wud be very hard to get a pic there withone getting someone it it!!

I like the last one most :)

To be honest, Im not mad about the PP. That's just me, though. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

messrs wrote: »
    nice pics - did you mean to include person in first one? i imagine it wud be very hard to get a pic there withone getting someone it it!!
    Yes i chose the composition because of the person in it.

its a valid question, a set of pictures, maybe its random, maybe its a theme
    well if this set appears random to people then ive failed in what i was trying.

• Advertisement

Whats the point?
    care to elaborate?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 mr.spids

1ST ones good yup outa feicn dat

care to elaborate?

Whats the point in the images. What is the photographer telling me through his/her images and what am I the going to learn from the images. Unless there is a point or meaning to the images then they are very ordinary. Ascetically their ok but I can help finding the images boring and rather amateur............thats just my opinion. But I'm sure the op didn't start a thread to show her own pics just for positive feedback???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

. But I'm sure the op didn't start a thread to show her own pics just for positive feedback???

No, but I'm sure they didn't want some sarky comments either.

I'd say they were looking for constructive feedback and not some teenager-esq "eughhh - but whats the point loike" comments.

What do you think the point of photography is, then? I'd really not have all photos being pictorialist, or whos meaning slaps me in the face. Sometimes vagueness is the point.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the PP leaves me cold; i don't think it adds anything to the pics.

Whats the point in the images. What is the photographer telling me through his/her images and what am I the going to learn from the images. Unless there is a point or meaning to the images then they are very ordinary. Ascetically their ok but I can help finding the images boring and rather amateur............thats just my opinion. But I'm sure the op didn't start a thread to show her own pics just for positive feedback???
    The main point of this forum for me is to try and get some kind of feedback that will help me improve my amateur photographs. My aim is to get negative feedback in order to improve. But somebody just posting up "whats the point" is itself a complete waste of time and quiet insulting. Either give me some constructive criticism or ignore the thread.
    As to the point of the images they are all part of a set. All these shots are to do with experimenting with lines in composition. Ive tried a specific type of PP that I like but again was looking for feedback on.

mehfesto wrote: »
    No, but I'm sure they didn't want some sarky comments either.

I'd say they were looking for constructive feedback and not some teenager-esq "eughhh - but whats the point loike" comments.

What do you think the point of photography is, then? I'd really not have all photos being pictorialist, or whos meaning slaps me in the face. Sometimes vagueness is the point.

Which is fine but when someone puts up 3 obscure images and gives no explanation about why they posted them, then how are we supposed to give CC. Are they snapshots, contemporary fine art, architecture???? I'm not trying to be a d*** here I just need more info? I stand by my comment. Without explanation of information they look like snapshots

The main point of this forum for me is to try and get some kind of feedback that will help me improve my amateur photographs. My aim is to get negative feedback in order to improve. But somebody just posting up "whats the point" is itself a complete waste of time and quiet insulting. Either give me some constructive criticism or ignore the thread.
    As to the point of the images they are all part of a set. All these shots are to do with experimenting with lines in composition. Ive tried a specific type of PP that I like but again was looking for feedback on.

Somebody posting 3 images with not even an introduction and looking for CC is not only insulting but it's very naive as well.

Look I'm not trying to piss anyone off here, I just need a bit of background info. That is standard

Which is fine but when someone puts up 3 obscure images and gives no explanation about why they posted them, then how are we supposed to give CC. Are they snapshots, contemporary fine art, architecture???? I'm not trying to be a d*** here I just need more info? I stand by my comment. Without explanation of information they look like snapshots

well if they look like snapshots to you then thats fine.obviously i have a lot of work to do :D Im usually wouldnt give explanations on what I post. But if requested then i would but as far as i can see most people dont post explanations here.
    What Im trying to say is that there are better ways of asking for more info than just "whats the point"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

Somebody posting 3 images with not even an introduction and looking for CC is not only insulting but it's very naive as well.

Look I'm not trying to piss anyone off here, I just need a bit of background info. That is standard

How is it insulting?

And where did the OP ask for CC? Posting in the photography forum doesn't automatically mean people are looking for criticism - some people just like to share images.

And why do you need background info? Not every picture requires it to be enjoyed. Many pictures can be enjoyed at face value.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

mehfesto wrote: »
    And where did the OP ask for CC?
    The main point of this forum for me is to try and get some kind of feedback
    if someone starts a new thread with photos they've taken, it's fair game to comment on them. it is a discussion forum after all.

I did forget to put C&C in the title. Apologies and hugs all!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭IamBlip

I like the last photo the best, nice framing. Not crazy about the PP, it looks over cooked to me, but that might just be me.
    Whats the point?

This quote I find just rude, but that might just be me too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

I think they are too over processed, its exactly how i started off and everyone does start some where but i never got any advice back in the day, so my advice here would be to not over think it, dont look for cool angles and subjects, go with natural beauty, i.e photos into the sun at evening time, shadows, street potraits perhaps.
    While the colours seem good for the last image, they all seem to have a yellow/cyan tint and it kinda of screams photoshop colour adjusment.

i think the first one would benefit from being in black and white - it's a very busy scene, and removing the colours could help with that.

well if they look like snapshots to you then thats fine.obviously i have a lot of work to do :D Im usually wouldnt give explanations on what I post. But if requested then i would but as far as i can see most people dont post explanations here.
    What Im trying to say is that there are better ways of asking for more info than just "whats the point"

That's not meant as an insult. Some of the greatest contemporary fine art photographers photographs would look like snapshots if you just saw 3 of them but usually there is a blurb or an introduction or some sort of information to give the viewer an idea what there looking at. You don't have to spell it out just a couple of lines and maybe some background information. It's not like your images are sports shots or landscapes. The images were so banal that I was sure it was contemporary fine art or that there was a undercurrent and I was right ;) Lines shapes and angles

Placebo wrote: »
    I think they are too over processed, its exactly how i started off and everyone does start some where but i never got any advice back in the day, so my advice here would be to not over think it, dont look for cool angles and subjects, go with natural beauty, i.e photos into the sun at evening time, shadows, street potraits perhaps.
    While the colours seem good for the last image, they all seem to have a yellow/cyan tint and it kinda of screams photoshop colour adjusment.

I disagree completely next of all you'll be telling the op to photograph swans and homeless people.

I like the way the OP has approached the shoot in a banal and quirky way. Had me guessing and wracking my brains for a while. I dont like obvious shots. I like to get the mind thinking. What's interesting about a sun set? (no offense each to their own)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

im just helping him/her skip the time line, i guess he/she has to make their own mistakes and follow their own time line.
    Wall with a TAG, or angled photos displaying architecture, are concentrating too hard on the subject, i think it would be better not to concentrate solely on the subject and to take other things such as lighting into account. I mentioned sunset as not much post processing will be required to enhance the photos effect.
    i like the way you've gone from 1 line critique to a concerned professor now ;)

That's not meant as an insult. Some of the greatest contemporary fine art photographers photographs would look like snapshots if you just saw 3 of them but usually there is a blurb or an introduction or some sort of information to give the viewer an idea what there looking at. You don't have to spell it out just a couple of lines and maybe some background information. It's not like your images are sports shots or landscapes. The images were so banal that I was sure it was contemporary fine art or that there was a undercurrent and I was right ;) Lines shapes and angles
    ive not taken any insult at the term snapshots,that is your opinion. but at least I KNOW your opinion now :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

i agree with whoever said the first one was "busy"

i'd crop to just leave the girl pulling at her skirt and lower the contrast a bit.

2 is fine, a nice mish mash of textures and a dab of colour.

3 is like a bad version of 2, no offense.

4 is not for me, ugly city is ugly.

here is a BW version of one of the shots:
    Le_Urban_BW_by_superflyninja.jpg
    any better?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

To me they're not just snapshots- they're obviously 4 urban pictures.
    I'm not mad on them (expect the last one) but I think they dont' need an intro...

thanks for the feedback all :D

Advertisement