Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swan Rescue

Options
  • 18-06-2010 10:19pm

Earlier this evening I was sitting down by the canals near Nuns Island. There was a swan in there that had supposedly been trapped for weeks - there was not enough room for it to get enough speed to fly. Two women; both volunteers, went to rescue the gorgeous swan.

A man in a wetsuit got into the canal and tried to capture the swan, but could not do it alone, so another man that had been fishing, volunteered to go in too. Together they were able to capture and take the swan out of the canal.

So - well done to not only the guy in the wetsuit but also to the fisher that volunteered. There are a series of photos below:

18062010348.jpg

18062010349.jpg

18062010350.jpg

18062010351.jpg

18062010352.jpg

18062010353.jpg

18062010354.jpg

18062010355.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

A happy ending... Good to see.. Well done to all involved including the pics :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Believe I know the guy in wetsuit, just let him know he's world famous in Galway now..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

Thanks for posting, it's good to see actions like this get some coverage. Well done to all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Ha I also know the guy in the wetsuit! Fair play and a good deed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Mr.Mister

Did the swan taste nice afterwards?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Well done, warms the heart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I love a happy ending I do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

i've seen that swan there a good few times. nice to see it got out. lovely story :)

It was pretty heart warming alright. When the guy in the wetsuit approached the swan would hiss a lot. But once the two lads were in there and they managed to catch her, the swan didn't struggle in the slightest.

Once the swan was safely out of the canal, a small crowd had gathered and all started to clap and congratulate the two gents. Very special thing to witness.

Though I feel like it should be highlighted that the gent in the waders had been fishing, yet volunteered once he saw the wetsuit guy having difficulty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Carolyyn

Thanks for posting the pics, thank God it worked out well and the poor little thing went safely on his way :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 PaulDolan

Good work. apparently that guy in the wetsuit is a member of a cult organisation in Galway called the C-Team (don't bother looking them up on the internet they are an underground group - you might find them in a basement in cross street) and i wouldn't be surprised if he put that swan in there so that he could come along and be the hero!!!

Good Work Thomas

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I saw a Swan swimming along the coast at Spiddal & heading West. Maybe this one has had enough of Galway.

Well done to all involved. So much for a Swan breaking a man's arm !. I have rescue quite a few & they never show any aggression.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

An awful lot of effort just for some meat for the BBQ tbh :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 86,585 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

That was nice to see a happy swansong

Advertisement