Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rooney's comments?

• 18-06-2010 10:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭

So whats the verdict on him them here? Was he right or wrong in what he said to the camera as he walked off the pitch.

I think he was right in what he said but should have said it in a post match interview rather then as he left the pitch IMO.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭gibson

Already being discused in the England Vs Algeria thread plenty of opinions there! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

this is the complete version

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Rooney was dead right.

Fook the English supporters if they cant get behind the team

All they do is moan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Rooney was dead right.

All they do is moan

Even if they did pay all that money to watch that shower of ****e...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

He's no Drogba :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Rooney was dead right.

All they do is moan

But as someone said in the other thread they have a right to be disappointed spending all that money to go out to South Africa to see their team and thats the sh1t that they make them watch!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Ya but they do this at any chance. I dont think Rooney was speaking about tonight alone when he said that. They also booed after the first game and on countless other times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Rooney just deflecting attention away from the fact he has been brutal thusfar in the World Cup. I partly blame Capello for playing him in the first place as he clearly is'nt fit enough. I'd say we don't know the full extent of his injury and it's clearly getting to him both on and off the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

He was just surprised by the reaction, That sort of thing would be new to Rooney. I'm sure some of his team mates will explain that it happens from time to time..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Rooney was dead right.

All they do is moan

They spent £1000's travelling to SA expecting to see their team who are ranked 8th in the world put in a good performance against a team 22 places below them.

If the players are happy to accept the applause when they play well then they should accept the boos when they don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Rooney should have kept his mouth shut and walked off the pitch with his head bowed.

At the same time, it's no big deal and not an issue!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

They spent £1000's travelling to SA expecting to see their team who are ranked 8th in the world put in a good performance against a team 22 places below them.

If the players are happy to accept the applause when they play well then they should accept the boos when they don't.
    Is right. Someone should tell Wayne to grow up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,433 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Mister men wrote: »
    Rooney just deflecting attention away from the fact he has been brutal thusfar in the World Cup. I partly blame Capello for playing him in the first place as he clearly is'nt fit enough. I'd say we don't know the full extent of his injury and it's clearly getting to him both on and off the pitch.

You play your best players if they are fit enough to play, it may not always pay off but you never want to think what could have been.

If Brazil hadn't have played Ronaldo in '98 then everyone would have been hung up over it and the manager would come under criticism. Rooney is far and away the best option England have up front and talk of dropping him is stupid.

I love how people are focussing on him when he can't really do much when he is being played in an uncomfortable system with a bunch of players who are used to being the main men at their team and thus will play for themselves before the team and Rooney is included in that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

The Muppet wrote: »
    He was just surprised by the reaction, That sort of thing would be new to Rooney. I'm sure some of his team mates will explain that it happens from time to time..
    Ha ha ha

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Ha ha ha

Top Marks Al.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

What an inept performance, much as I hate booing, btw it worked with a Dublin GAA side who were sh1t last weekend, it did nothing to up a truly woeful attempt to play football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,433 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

It's football, it happens. Burnley beat United this season, Switzerland beat Spain ffs and nobody seems to be jumping on the back of Xavi, Villa etc. It's just typical people looking for a scapegoat to take away from the fact England as a whole were rubbish tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

John Giles was right about it, what sort of reaction did Rooney expect?

Top Marks Al.:p
    Its sad how predictable you are. Rooney receives criticism, you deflect by trying to have a pop at liverpool.

Its sad how predictable you are. Rooney receives criticism, you deflect by trying to have a pop at literpool

Lolz, How apt.:D

<edit>
    LOL al Nice nija edit but too late
    </edit>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

These fans have travelled half way round the world, borrowed and begged and if they feel the performance deserved boos then they're right to show it. They never booed during the game and supported until the 90 mins.
    He can't have any complaints IMHO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Maybe the problem isn't a player reacting to boos but the OTT hype and praise heaped on the team by the media and fans, building them up for an inevitable bruising fall.

Part of the reason for England's poor display was the pressure of the occasion and I think Capello acknowledged this. It's difficult for a team to truly show what they can do when they have the press and fans waiting to pounce on weaknesses. The Rob Green situation would have hammered that fact home to the players.

There was nothing in the warm-up games to suggest England would have it 'easy'. Maybe if the fans had a rethink of what is realistic and achievable for their team then they would have players under less pressure, playing well and achieving better results. Thus, no need to boo.

It's not surprising that England players like Rooney are pissed off at the fans. They're probably wondering which one of them will join Rob Green as the next scapegoat for England's failure to win the trophy.

posting from my phone, **** happens. but again, don't mind me, carry on with your excellent posting.

:D

He could ask Carrick!

posting from my phone, **** happens. but again, don't mind me, carry on with your excellent posting.

How did you think Johnson played tonight Al, World class would you say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

There was nothing in the warm-up games to suggest England would have it 'easy'. Maybe if the fans had a rethink of what is realistic and achievable for their team then they would have players under less pressure, playing well and achieving better results. Thus, no need to boo.

In fairness Rooney didnt do much to dampen expectations with that nike ad. The Ireland-Algeria game was a warm up game and I would say that led to suggestions that England would have it easy in the group stage, especially when you look at how handy their group is compared to other groups

How did you think Johnson played tonight Al, World class would you say?
    I'd imagine that's for the match thread, or the Liverpool thread. This is for Rooneys comments, i appreciate you're trying to turn it into a Liverpool/United debate in an effort to take the focus off the fact that rooney is having a horrendous world cup thus far, however i'm not willing to partake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Ian_K

rarnes1 wrote: »
    :D

He could ask Carrick!

Ironically Carrick is exactly the kind of player England needed out there

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PFL

England really don't look like a team that gel together at all - passes not finding one another, no break through plays - crap TBH can't blame the fans really especially when they had such a successful qualifying campaign

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

I am pretty miffed at the two hours I am never getting back after sitting in my living room watching that. I think something hardier than "boo" would be emerging from my jaws if I had paid big money to go to SA to watch that "football" game live.

Ian_K wrote: »

They can't do any worse in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Rooney needs to get a grip of his knickers.

If Ireland only managed to get a draw in the world cup against a relatively inferior team (Malta) they deserve to be booed.

I'm not the booing type myself but I completely understand people who feel the need to do it and believe, certainly in tonight's case, they were completely justified.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

just to clarify ...... is he saying:

A) "its nice to see home fans booing ya" (Sarcastically)

B) "its nice to see yer own fans booing ya" (Sarcastically)

RTE's version seems to be claiming its "Home fans" ...which I dont think is right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,682 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Ian_K wrote: »

ya if you wanted Algeria to win because knowing carrick he'd find away

boo-ing the team you follow for drawing in the world cup ain't on in my opinion. however, neither is little hissy fits at a camera after stinking the place out.

• Advertisement

I'd imagine that's for the match thread, or the Liverpool thread. This is for Rooneys comments, i appreciate you're trying to turn it into a Liverpool/United debate in an effort to take the focus off the fact that rooney is having a horrendous world cup thus far, however i'm not willing to partake.

You shouldn't have mentioned Literpool players Al if you didn't want to discuss them.

Lets get back to the matter in hand, crucifying Rooney for a poor team performance and for criticiing England fans for booing their team.

I for one am shocked, time for them to hang more effigies I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

PCPhoto wrote: »
    just to clarify ...... is he saying:

A) "its nice to see home fans booing ya" (Sarcastically)

B) "its nice to see yer own fans booing ya" (Sarcastically)

RTE's version seems to be claiming its "Home fans" ...which I dont think is right

What does it matter?

You shouldn't have mentioned Literpool players Al if you didn't want to discuss them.

Lets get back to the matter in hand, crucifying Rooney for a poor team performance and for criticiing England fans for booing their team.

I think Rooney and Gerrard will have to go to Madrid to escape the slobbering masses.

You may wish to re-read this thread, there's no crucifications, simply a thread about an excellent player having a hissy fit down the camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Never seen the point in booing players, where's the point. Either clap or just stay slient.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

It must be frustrating for poor oul Wayne, no Nani, no Giggs, no Scholes, no Valencia = no service. He can't be a one man team and it looked like he's carrying an injury.

It must be frustrating for poor oul Wayne, no Nani, no Giggs, no Scholes, no Valencia = no service. He can't be a one man team.
    Wat a load of bollox. He's playing with Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard, Gareth Barry, Aaron Lennon, Wright Phillips. Quality of his team mates is not even nearly an excuse for him.

Wat a load of bollox. He's playing with Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard, Gareth Barry, Aaron Lennon, Wright Phillips. Quality of his team mates is not even nearly an excuse for him.

No Scholesie tbh.

unless there's a time machine at Capello's disposal, Lampard/Gerrard >Scholes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Poor Wayne.

He's still more creative, comfortable on the ball and better equipped to control a game and dictate the tempo of a team's passing than them or any other English player, over the hill and all as he is.

Which is sad for them.

that's not true Flah, he simply isn't, on his day possibly, but his day is very rare and more often than not he's simply not good enough anymore. most united fans had no problem admitting that for most of the season until he had a couple of decent games toward the end and all of a sudden he's the best around again-nonsense. you may wish to check out Lampards goals and assists stats this year and compare to the ginger fella if you genuinely think Scholes offers more creativity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

flahavaj wrote: »
    He's still more creative, comfortable on the ball and better equipped to control a game and dictate the tempo of a team's passing than them or any other English player, over the hill and all as he is.

Which is sad for them.

Exactly why Cappello was wanting to bring him into the squad.

Bad sign that after all the qualifying games and all the friendlies that right before the WC Cappello has to try and get Carragher and Scholes on board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

They're more dynamic, but they don't exactly fit with the team. They're a good 2 yards behind with their reading of the game, from a deep midfield position.

Scholes is exactly what England need right now. Someone who can create some flow to their game, which (for all their wonderful attributes), Gerrard and Lampard are not doing right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

Ush1 wrote: »
    Poor Wayne.

I know, having to play with that shower of ****e is making him look bad.

• Advertisement
Advertisement