Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rooney's comments?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Personally I would never boo my own team, but it's easy to understand the frustration that can occur

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

How can everyone say they have a right to boo because England didnt put in a better performance and win or whatever, and dissappoint the fans who travelled all that distance??

So by that logic, the World Cup should be won by the team who's fans spent the most on plane tickets? Why does fans spending money mean that a team should win, and a loss requires booing? If the World Cup was in England and they got the same results, it wouldnt make a difference. They can boo, or they can cheer. its up to them, but they shouldnt feel entitled to a win just coz they spent lotsa money travelling there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,433 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I would piss myself laughing if Rooney decided to retire from international football. Would be absolutely fantastic to hear the reaction of those fans who were booing him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

Rooneys comments were as childish, petulant and pathetic as the fans boos, which imo served to draw attention to the fact that he went missing for 93 minutes last night. He seemed to catch the Heskey first touch disease and also seemed to be getting into a competition with the same man to see who could drop deepest to receive the ball, before making a complete balls up of a pass higher up the pitch. I'd say it must be quite embarrasing to have been compared with someone like Messi when it's quite clear on the world stage that he is not, and never will be, a player with the same qualities, skills and techniques, who can make an impact on a game like Messi can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,988 ✭✭✭doc_17

The fans should not have booed their own team but let's not be surprised or anything that they did. I'd rather they vented their frustration like that rather than "other" ways.

But in saying that Rooney should know better. His comments showed a lack of discipline and intelligence. i bet he's raging this morning that he didn't just keep his gob shut and walk on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Livvie

doc_17 wrote: »
    The fans should not have booed their own team but let's not be surprised or anything that they did. I'd rather they vented their frustration like that rather than "other" ways.

But in saying that Rooney should know better. His comments showed a lack of discipline and intelligence. i bet he's raging this morning that he didn't just keep his gob shut and walk on

Emotion or passion can get to you in the heat of the moment. Maybe he could have shown that much passion during the game, but having slept on it, I think I'm going to blame the media - and maybe the fans too - for putting too much pressure on players to win. What happened to "it's the taking part..."

We'll never win at tennis either, because human beings generally can't cope with such excessive pressure - the win at all costs mentality - or even worse, the "we should be winning trophies" mentality.

How refreshing would it be if the England team were sent out there with a "Do your best and enjoy it" message, rather than this unhealthy obsession with winning the bloody thing.

OK, highly paid professionals should be able to cope with a certain amount of pressure, but maybe the media pressure - and the fans pressure - is just too much. I don't think the players made an effort last night but maybe that was down to the fact that they're human beings and they froze. And that they just aren't as good collectively as they've been told they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

rossie1977 wrote: »
    rooney is in poor form lets be honest the guys hasn't scored since march,

He's also carrying an injury since March.

It's clear that he's not 100%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

Livvie wrote: »
    Emotion or passion can get to you in the heat of the moment. Maybe he could have shown that much passion during the game, but having slept on it, I think I'm going to blame the media - and maybe the fans too - for putting too much pressure on players to win. What happened to "it's the taking part..."

We'll never win at tennis either, because human beings generally can't cope with such excessive pressure
    - the win at all costs mentality - or even worse, the "we should be winning trophies" mentality.

How refreshing would it be if the England team were sent out there with a "Do your best and enjoy it" message, rather than this unhealthy obsession with winning the bloody thing.

OK, highly paid professionals should be able to cope with a certain amount of pressure, but maybe the media pressure - and the fans pressure - is just too much. I don't think the players made an effort last night but maybe that was down to the fact that they're human beings and they froze. And that they just aren't as good collectively as they've been told they are.

The players from Brazil, Italy, Argentina and Spain cope with it. And arguably football, especially international football, is bigger than in England.
    For me that argument does not work.

The problem with England is a lack of basics. Whatever it is in the way youngsters in England are thought how to play, they lack fundamentals. Passing the ball for a start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

I bet he couldnt give 2 sh1ts about what he said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fulhamfanincork

I DEMAND that someone start a Facebook page DEMANDING that Rooney is sent home.

Useless tosser. He obviously misses his wife and kid.

• Advertisement

I DEMAND that someone start a Facebook page DEMANDING that Rooney is sent home.

Useless tosser. He obviously misses his wife scholesey and kid nevilley.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

The fans can boo if they want imo. They are not idiotic robots like the Sky boys who think everything is great when its not. England are a complete shambles and they have every right to let them know that the standard is not up to scratch. These guys are paid millions a year. The fans have spend thousands to go and support this shower of tossers and the team gives a performance like that against one of the worst teams in the comp. Come on.

England are all hype and zero substance. Capello is having a nightmare WC too. He is too afraid to take off the likes of Rooney or Gerrard when its obvious they are woefully out of form and playing like gimps. He should drop them both for the next match and play Crouch/Defoe up front and Joe Cole in for Gerrard. But will he - not a chance, he is terrified of the English media. This a team that cant handle the pressure and they are playing scared. They have no chance of winning the competition and the sooner this sorry bunch get thrown out the better. / Rant

Warper wrote: »
    The fans can boo if they want imo. They are not idiotic robots like the Sky boys who think everything is great when its not. England are a complete shambles and they have every right to let them know that the standard is not up to scratch. These guys are paid millions a year. The fans have spend thousands to go and support this shower of tossers and the team gives a performance like that against one of the worst teams in the comp. Come on.

England are all hype and zero substance. Capello is having a nightmare WC too. He is too afraid to take off the likes of Rooney or Gerrard when its obvious they are woefully out of form and playing like gimps. He should drop them both for the next match and play Crouch/Defoe up front and Joe Cole in for Gerrard. But will he - not a chance, he is terrified of the English media. This a team that cant handle the pressure and they are playing scared. They have no chance of winning the competition and the sooner this sorry bunch get thrown out the better. / Rant

You are right, Capello came across as a gutless fool in his interview last night. And yes, he should probably drop Gerrard as well. But the thing is, he has chosen him as captain and has no other leaders in the squad. Also, If he drops Gerrard, you could argue he should also drop Lampard, Rooney, Heskey and Barry, all of whom were terrible last night. The thing is, who do you bring in to replace them?

When Rooney, and others, play well and score they run towards their fans for adulation and admiration. And they get it. You don't hear them complaining then.

I couldn't give a sh1t if Rooney gets hung out in the media. The rewards they get as pros don't really entitle them to sympathy for their own fans booing the. They get extremely well rewarded to do a job and if they can't there are consequences. That what happens when they blow themselves up as potential challengers - people are gonna expect them to play like it.

If you cn't take the heat rooney get out of the kitchen and stop moaning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

The fans should not have booed their own team

are you having a laugh...those fans spent thousands of their own hard earned money to get to SA....and all for what.. to watch that lack lustre performance by a bunch of over paid pre-madonnas

they were dead right to boo and Rooney was out of order

bet he's wishing he chose Ireland now;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I think if you go to support your team. That's what you do.

On Ronney, he's goign to be hammered in the press for doing what he did. Yes he had a bad game but in no way was he alone out there. The service he got at times was dreadful. How many times was the ball lumped forward from the back. If he's supposed to feed off scraps like that then Heskey can not be in the team. As the match went on i think the fear that was there grew and the whole team choked. On the otherhand Algeria thrived in the pressure, there first touch to a man was impeccable. And they deserved their point.

England need to play without fear, something i don't seeing happening, i can see the last match being a draw and them on the first boat home.

In a way i'm glad Rooney said something about the fans it's far easier to boo after that match than dig in and get behind your team and say "ok you've played **** for two games but we're still here. Now go out and win that last match"

I also think it's irrelevant how much money you spend to support your team.

When Rooney, and others, play well and score they run towards their fans for adulation and admiration. And they get it. You don't hear them complaining then.

I couldn't give a sh1t if Rooney gets hung out in the media. The rewards they get as pros don't really entitle them to sympathy for their own fans booing the. They get extremely well rewarded to do a job and if they can't there are consequences. That what happens when they blow themselves up as potential challengers - people are gonna expect them to play like it.

If you cn't take the heat rooney get out of the kitchen and stop moaning

You could argue they give up their own time to play with England, England doesn't pay their wages.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

fryup wrote: »
    are you having a laugh...those fans spent thousands of their own hard earned money to get to SA....and all for what.. to watch that lack lustre performance by a bunch of over paid pre-madonnas

They were out of order to Boo and Rooney was dead right to call them on it.

And yes i'm sure the first thing he thought of this morning was 'ya know what i'd rather be at home in Ireland than playing in the World Cup'

fryup wrote: »

A lot of the fans who follow England know little or nothing about football. Their the plastic brigade who are going to south africa so they can drink and shout with similar yobs.

The real football supporters follow their clubs all season, leaving little money for trips to world cups.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

i actually feel sorry for Rooney this morning. He is being scapegoated for the performances, mostly I think, because of his reaction last night.

I'm with those who say that booing your team just isn't on. It just doesn't sit right with me, and wouldn't dream of doing it at a live game ever. He reacted to that, and yeah it was petulant, but also borne out of frustration. In hindsight, it probably wasn't the best choice, but after an hour and a half of running around, chasing shadows and the frustration of that game for any of the English players, I'd say a bit of leeway is only right.

Best response for him now is to say fcuk all about it to the press, and score a hat trick in the next game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

A lot of the fans who follow England know little or nothing about football. Their the plastic brigade who are going to south africa so they can drink and shout with similar yobs.

The real football supporters follow their clubs all season, leaving little money for trips to world cups.

In a way I'd agree with you here. Saying that though, thats the same all over. The WC though is a major worldwide event, and as such attracts massive numbers of armchair fans. Footballers at the level of Rooney, Gerrard etc know this as well as we do, and should be prepared to deal with additional pressure. You don't see the Germans buckling under the pressure, in fact they seem to thrive under the added scrutiny in major touraments.

The FA I think need to take a serious look at the culture that they have allowed to grow within their own ranks, and how the media are dealt with, as its the media that provide the link between the fans and the players. Without the influence of the foreign players in the EPL, I very much doubt that we'd be seeing any EPL team progress in the champions league. English footballers on the world stage have been found out imho, not just technically, but across the board, preparations, how they deal with the media and atitude as well. I just find it hard to watch, after watching England in the qualifiers and seeing them be quite good in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Admittedly, I'm no fan of Rooney but I do feel sorry for him tbh.....He's a bit of a loose cannon at times with his antics on the pitch re: the refs but last night I felt he was genuinely disappointed with the "fan"s.
    Tbh, I can't blame him when ya hear booing like that but I do think the fans have come to expect too much from England since the Glory days of '66.
    Whether the fans felt justified or not to boo after the performance is debatable, personally I wouldn't ever boo my team, never.......Just seems wrong to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fulhamfanincork

Rooney has been turd. With United he doesn't play with a target man.

Defoe and Heskey should start the next game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Rooney is a liability to England with his irish hot head temperment;), he also looks like he's unfit and i'm surprised he wasn't subbed last night.

My question is..has Copello got the balls to drop him, or is he intimidated by his superstar status??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

i understand his frustration, but i think it was foolish.

I think the fans had no right to boo their teamplaying for their country even is their performance was a load of ****.

The Irish fans, credit to them wouldnt do it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

snyper wrote: »
    I think the fans had no right to boo their teamplaying for their country even is their performance was a load of ****.

The Irish fans, credit to them wouldnt do it

The English media had England hyped up as likely world cup winners before the tournament and alot of fans bought into it. Then when they come out and play like they have, the fans get totally frustrated. The media propaganda around England hypes them up to a level they can never attain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,566 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I really think the reaction to this is ridiculous.

A guy was on 'You're on Sky Sports' last night calling for Rooney to be fined and even thrown out of the team as those images are going out all over the world and giving England a bad name.

Did he use bad language? ...NO
    Did he pass a racist comment?...NO
    Did he insult Algeria? ...NO

He just said how he felt as he was coming off the pitch after a nightmare game.

As for booing, I think it's disgraceful. Granted, England were woeful last night and there is obviously something wrong with the team. I'm sure they don't need the booing of the 'fans' to remind them that the performance was not up to scratch and the last thing they need is the extra pressure of these so called fans turning on them.
    I know they have spent lots of money to be there etc but they are supposed to be supporters of the team. This means to support them through thick and thin, and not just to be belting out that awful 'Rule Brittania' when they are winning.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Did he use bad language? ...NO

Yes....he said "fu*k sake".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

curry-muff wrote: »
    But as someone said in the other thread they have a right to be disappointed spending all that money to go out to South Africa to see their team and thats the sh1t that they make them watch!!

I disagree, they can't expect them to go and destroy every team or score 3/4 goals a match. The performance was shocking, Rooney came into this tournament in great form and was expected by many to shine. Fabio Capello got it wrong yet again with team selection and tatics, never mind starting heskey why bring him he is muck along with Wright philips. The confidence is low within that camp and it will take a amazing performance to get it back, all be it will come to late.

Rooney was right to have ago and totally agree with what he said. The fans can stay at home if they want, no one forced them to travel and pay the money. What about the other smaller nations who have also paid thousands? Get real england fans.

namloc1980 wrote: »

So what if he did, everyone uses bad language. If anything it shows how much he cares and if anything they the england players know this is the last chance for alot of them to win a world cup, they will never have a better chance either.

• Advertisement

Eh....no he didn't!

You could argue they give up their own time to play with England, England doesn't pay their wages.

No the FA don't pay wages but that's not to say the players don't get anything out of it http://www.goal.com/en/news/12/spain/2010/06/03/1956790/world-cup-2010-spain-bonus-for-winning-world-cup-tops-global

Also they make more money with their sponsors if they are international players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Vanbis wrote: »
    So what if he did, everyone uses bad language.
    Everyone masturbates too, still don't wanna see Rooney knock one out live on air though! :p

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Everyone masturbates too, still don't wanna see Rooney knock one out live on air though! :p

LMAO :D.

The fact its Rooney he will get crucified for it, if it was Stephen Warnock, we probably wouldn't even being talking about it.

Mr Alan wrote: »

Be good if he did though with the England fans singing 'Football's Coming Home' to encourage him!

Vanbis wrote: »
    I disagree, they can't expect them to go and destroy every team or score 3/4 goals a match. The performance was shocking, Rooney came into this tournament in great form and was expected by many to shine. Fabio Capello got it wrong yet again with team selection and tatics, never mind starting heskey why bring him he is muck along with Wright philips. The confidence is low within that camp and it will take a amazing performance to get it back, all be it will come to late.

Rooney was right to have ago and totally agree with what he said. The fans can stay at home if they want, no one forced them to travel and pay the money. What about the other smaller nations who have also paid thousands? Get real england fans.

I disagree. Fans expect their team to at least show some pride in the jersey and leave everything on the pitch and the England team has not done that. They have every right to boo if the team does not make much of an effort.

Eh....no he didn't!

Eh yes he did...please watch it again. It was censored on BBC and ITV but RTE had it.

I disagree. Fans expect their team to at least show some pride in the jersey and leave everything on the pitch and the England team has not done that. They have every right to boo if the team does not make much of an effort.

Ok i agree they showed a lack of passion but the pressure they have being put under is crazy, its not to say they dont have the players to win and play well but when you start with Heskey upfront who scored 3 goals last season. I honestly thought Fabio was the man and england would go far, how wrong i was and many others.

Eh yes he did...please watch it again. It was censored on BBC and ITV but RTE had it.

I have rewatched it and I don't hear anything!

I have rewatched it and I don't hear anything!

He did say it as he turms away from the camera. Watched again just now. Only RTE had it.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Rooney is an arrogant ****er. He's lucky he hasn't got much stick from the media because of this.

Every England fan is paying thousands to watch their team who are paid millions a year. They can't even beat a bunch of French lower league players.

Pathetic.

DB10 wrote: »
    Rooney is an arrogant ****er. He's lucky he hasn't got much stick from the media because of this.

Every England fan is paying thousands to watch their team who are paid millions a year. They can't even beat a bunch of French lower league players.

Pathetic.

Well we all know it was pathetic, and so do the England players and that is the time that they need to know that they still have support behind them. I don't see what money has got to do with it.

I find booing pathetic to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

snyper wrote: »
    i understand his frustration, but i think it was foolish.

The whistle just blew. Rooney, along with the rest of the team, played horribly. He was acutely aware of this and perhaps he also realised that the team had just fallen headlong off their pedestal. So he lashed out in anger. It happens.

If England go on to do well in the WC - win it, even - then this will all blow over. Rooney will probably be praised for his fiery emotional commitment and his outburst might just feature in C4's 100 greatest footballing moments. However, if they fail to get past the group stage then the knives will be out and the tabloids will have their sport.

It will be interesting to see how the English media react be to this relatively minor indiscretion. Will they say "Nothing to see here" or will they stoke the fires and again become the enemy within.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Rooney looks absolutely wrecked, but frankly, the system isn't set up in any way to get the best out of him, which is shocking from Capello.

Nonetheless, if fans want to boo, they should be ****ing able to accept a player tell them to **** off. Everyone has different views on booing, but Rooney clearly doesnt appreciate it. It's not like he was abusive, he just said he doesnt appreciate it.

If England go on to do well in the WC - win it, even - then this will all blow over.

I'll have some of whatever you've had. ;)

If England did turn it round and put in some great performances, and manage to win it, fair enough. But if they somehow scraped by on flukey results and won it, I might enjoy the moment, but would also feel dead embarrassed.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Just seen this comment on an England forum...
    He should **** off back to Ireland the shrek faced, fat paddy ginger ****.

:pac:

Just seen this comment on an England foum...

Obviously had an intelligence by-pass.

(Whoever posted that, not you!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

anelkas comment about domenech wasnt much better!

According to l'equipe he said to him "Va te faire enculer sale fils de pute" which is a very very big insult.

"Go to get fcuked (in the ass) dirty son of bitch" would be quite accurate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Livvie wrote: »
    I'll have some of whatever you've had. ;)

If England did turn it round and put in some great performances, and manage to win it, fair enough. But if they somehow scraped by on flukey results and won it, I might enjoy the moment, but would also feel dead embarrassed.

Sorry, I don't understand you. Are you saying that if England won the World Cup you would dwell on this and not the 2010 version of this? Or are you talking about the manner in they how they go about winning?

I can't imagine why the former would be a issue at all. It will be soon forgotten if they won the WC. And as for the latter, I wasn't discussing their style. But I would imagine that if England hasn't won the WC since '66, and they have a deep yearning to do so in "It's Coming Home" type of way, then the end justifies the means. I doubt many people, specifically English supporters, would care how they went about it.

• Advertisement

Just seen this comment on an England foum...

We'd take him!

Advertisement