Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extra subject in 6th year

• 18-06-2010 10:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭

I'm going into 6th year and I currently do 7 subjects in school, I did Applied maths outside school but didn't find the teacher good and he is retiring this year so that's not an option.) I am failing one of my subjects (History). I know you're probably thinking 'but history is easy' BUT I am not good at it, I dislike my teacher and I find it very hard to study (yes I try). I am considering taking an extra subject this year (as well as history) because I am weak in languages and I need 500+ points..! I was thinking of doing accountancy..? (Dad is an accountant so that'd be a help)...

Advice..?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 AnneG93

You could always repeat 5th year and take up the subject you want. I know people who repeated 5th year and it really helped them.
    If you really don't want to repeat, I'd say get started studying over them summer. I know someone who doesn't want to repeat, but is failing a subject so now is spending his summer studying a new subject :P

If you liked accountancy for JC and understood it, I'd say it's a good choice to pick, I hear it's easy enough if you understand it.

Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

No way will I repeat...! I don't like the girls in the year below (I know it's petty but hey..) and I'm looking forward to getting out in a year..!

I suppose I could have nearly a third of the accountancy course done this summer..?

Thanks..!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Accounting is enjoyable but it isn't easy. It is a huge course! It's also not suitable for teaching yourself, but your dad being an accountant should help considerably. Although he probably isn't that aware of the LC syllabus - according to some of my friends that are studying accountancy in college, it's considerably different (and better in their opinion) than accounting for the LC. For example, one of the most difficult aspects of LC Accounting is the timing, but in real life you don't just have x minutes to do accounts :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭pn7xjrqy6fhta1

Drop down to pass History and do accounting. It is not that hard. Once you get a question out properly you can learn it off and if it comes up in the test it will be in the same format.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Know someone who took up accounting at higher level half way through 6th year and came out with a B so power to ya!

Very disappointed, it had to be accounting didn't it? I was all ready to yell about the perils of too many subjects and taking up stupid things in 6th year :( pft

Oh and don't drop down in History until your damn sure you'll be good at accounting. Seriously, level wise when you get a bit into 6th year you can only go down, so if you change your mind half way in you'll be screwed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

Chemistry if you have a good teacher. People only find it hard because it's taught badly and the textbooks etc explain the course badly, but if you get a good grind it's very, very easy and predictable and the course is relatively small.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭fauxshow

Have you considered just getting history or language grinds and boosting yourself like that?
    You can get over five hundred points in your Leaving Cert without getting a single A!

Alternatively, drop history and get a grinds teacher to do something with you or go to grinds (it'd realistically be very hard to try covering a subject yourself with a bit of help from your dad from time to time, unless you were super motivated and set out a concrete hour and a half to go through stuff each week... but you need someone familiar with the LC syllabus and exam technique etc). If you play an instrument at Grade five level and know a bit of theory music would be very doable, I know people who took up economics or ag science or business and said they were doable because they're straightforward, you just have to learn it off. Good luck to you anyway, I think it's definitely doable to do a subject in a year if you're dedicated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭JellyBeans92

Having studied accounting for the last two years I can give you an honest opinion:
    Whether or not to take it up really depends on what kinda of a worker you are tbh. If you're willing to work hard at it and try to do a few questions each week throughout next year you should find it fair enough to take up. If you don't consistently work at it though you will you.rself in trouble next June, bc it's not exactly a crammable subject

I'm not sure if your dad being an accountant will help much, bc from what I know 'Real Life' accounting is quite different to the exam.

Maybe you should get one of the revision books off someone second hand, have a look and see what you think, if you still want to do in in September maybe you could talk to an accounting teacher in your school, maybe they'd be willing to give you a grind, or know someone who can?.

You don't say what other subjects you're doing so I can't suggest?

I don't doing business myself, but most people say there's some overlap with the accounting, and not as hard as some subjects to take up.

*Maybe if you find History too difficult, your school might facilitate you by letting you study Accounting (or another new subject) in a different room during history times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 sarahisdeadly

Are you deffo set on giving up Applied Maths?

I took it up in 6th year, if you're good at maths it's grand. I know you said your teacher is retiring, but if you've already done a bit of a year it might be worth looking into a new one! Also very short course if you stick to the bare minimum in questions.

I do accounting, I find it ok. I dunno if that's to do with being good at maths but it helps to have a head for numbers anyhow! Found it quite a long course though, might be difficult in a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Cipango

Might I recommend economics? It's pretty easy and is partially common sense! Something to think about?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Interzone

I did history as an 8th subject in 6th year. Was tough enough going but it let me off doing any work for English (my bete noire). I say go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

If you are good at basic maths and can learn a few simple layouts and minimal theory, do accounting. It's piss easy. I could've taken the exam at the end of 5th year and gotten an A1.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Kylzer911

Do BUSINESS!!!! for the love of god. I took it up in 6th year and it is piss.. you will not regret it, it doesnt take up much time at all, and still do well.
    Everyone should do business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭chaoticmess

Seriously, level wise when you get a bit into 6th year you can only go down, so if you change your mind half way in you'll be screwed.

That's not entirely true. I moved up to higher level halfway through the year in a subject, it wouldn't be recommendable but it was possible.

I agree with what some of the other people have been saying - are you sure you want to give up the applied maths? Since you've already probably done quite a bit of work, maybe with a couple of grinds you'll be fine to do that. And you'll be able to cover quite a bit by yourself. Surely it must be easier than starting a new subject from scratch!

I don't know what other subjects your taking, but if you're scientifically minded and your school has a good teacher, I'd definitely recommend Biology. There's quite a bit too it but it all sticks in there the first time round. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭jreanor

I'm going into 6th year and I currently do 7 subjects in school, I did Applied maths outside school but didn't find the teacher good and he is retiring this year so that's not an option.) I am failing one of my subjects (History). I know you're probably thinking 'but history is easy' BUT I am not good at it, I dislike my teacher and I find it very hard to study (yes I try). I am considering taking an extra subject this year (as well as history) because I am weak in languages and I need 500+ points..! I was thinking of doing accountancy..? (Dad is an accountant so that'd be a help)...

Advice..?

Accounting is a LONG course as stated above. There are probably other "soft" subjects. I've heard Ag. Science and the like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭ajjmk

Yeah, I'd recommend you take up Ag.Science! I've done it the last 2 years & my teacher really took her time teaching it & we had the whole course finished by Christmas! All of the repeats in my school took it up this year too, & they're at the same standard as my own class! :D ..You have to do a farm project too. If you have access to a farm, then this is verrrry handy! You do up a folder (with loadza pictures) about how the farm is run. That, along with you're experiements copy & a Plant & Animal ID is worth like 25% :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Captain-America

If the course you want will accept it, LCVP might be a good option. It's 70 points, and it's easy if you're anyway good at presentations. Technically speaking you could do the course in two days, though it wouldn't be recommended.

You could have an eighth subject and focus on bringing up History too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭klose

Geography!!!
    Very easy to understand, always in the news and surrounded by it daily its an easy A1 i think ya could nearly grade your own exam the marking scheme is so easy to understand!

Advertisement