Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is DCG doable in a year?

• 18-06-2010 10:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭

Alright

It looks like I'll be repeating next year and I was wondering what ye think about taking up DCG? The only drawing experience I have would be JC Technology and while obviously that was was piss, I had good craic doing it.

Also, could DCG be done in a year? I know there's a project for February aswell so would this be a major issue for a newbie?

I've heard hugely varying comments on the subject. Some lads say it's by a mile the easiest thing they do while others say it's impossible.

I'm a mathsy enough student (do physics, applied maths and maths) and my spacial reasoning score in the DATs was in the high ninetieth percentile, which I thought would be useful, but I dunno really.

Any advice?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭JerCotter7

Alright

It looks like I'll be repeating next year and I was wondering what ye think about taking up DCG? The only drawing experience I have would be JC Technology and while obviously that was was piss, I had good craic doing it.

Also, could DCG be done in a year? I know there's a project for February aswell so would this be a major issue for a newbie?

I've heard hugely varying comments on the subject. Some lads say it's by a mile the easiest thing they do while others say it's impossible.

I'm a mathsy enough student (do physics, applied maths and maths) and my spacial reasoning score in the DATs was in the high ninetieth percentile, which I thought would be useful, but I dunno really.

Any advice?

Cheers

If you did the theory outside of class on your own then yes. Just ask the teacher to correct any work to make sure it's right. The project would take up most of your class time. I would ask the teacher to install solidworks on your laptop as well so you can get some practice with it at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

I don't see why you'd want to take it for a repeat year, what are your other subjects?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Don't do it, the project takes up every moment of DCG related time until its handed up. You find yourself quite heavily reliant on 5th year. Maths only comes into one section of one option.

It is easy but it takes time, and you won't have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭straight_As

I don't see why you'd want to take it for a repeat year, what are your other subjects?

Physics, chem, bio, eng, irish, maths, app maths and french.

I'm shíte at the languages but have to keep them up though, so I'll prob just do pass french and irish.

I'd be looking for a new subject to actually do something new rather than just revise notes I've already looked at. I'd be open to other subject suggestions as well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

No, don't go there. Project will take up a good half of the schoolyear. If there's any subject that's doable in a year it's Economics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Physics, chem, bio, eng, irish, maths, app maths and french.

I'm shíte at the languages but have to keep them up though, so I'll prob just do pass french and irish.

I'd be looking for a new subject to actually do something new rather than just revise notes I've already looked at. I'd be open to other subject suggestions as well :)
    Accounting. It's just piss easy maths mixed with minimal theory and learning a few layouts. Easily doable in a year, I could've sat the exam at the end of 5th year and gotten an A1.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Well it's too early to resign yourself to repeating yet - you could do better than you think - you used to very confident in your abilities from posting on this forum. Nearly everybody thinks that they didn't do themselves much justice in the leaving cert but then when the results come out, they find themselves surprised.

Anyway, you don't have to do Irish or French next year. You probably need French to get into college, but if you pass this year you can keep that matriculation requirement throughout next year. You don't need to sit the subject again, provided you pass. You can't use it for points though, but I don't think that's your aim anyway.

Ag science could be an idea seein as your doing biology, there's a project worth 25 % but it's easy enough to get done.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gant0

Theory yes but the project work must be done with a teacher in a class

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭lc2010

Economics!

It's a very short course and a predictable exam(I hope!). There is only a very small bit of maths in it but mathsy students tend to do well in it as it involves a lot of logical thinking and common sense.

• Advertisement

gant0 wrote: »
    Theory yes but the project work must be done with a teacher in a class

Ya...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

you don't have to do Irish or French next year. You probably need French to get into college, but if you pass this year you can keep that matriculation requirement throughout next year. You don't need to sit the subject again, provided you pass.

OP has applied for med so if he/she is repeating for med that puts a spanner in the no irish and french plan

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

pathway33 wrote: »
    OP has applied for med so if he/she is repeating for med that puts a spanner in the no irish and french plan

Ah I see. Why does medicine have that exception, as a matter of interest?

Advertisement