Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you expect to see in rural Ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Yes I do, both my parents are from Connaught. We used to go down there every summer for two weeks to visit relatives. It's just so grey, miserable and depressing with the smell of cows' shit everywhere. They're always talking about the neighbours and land. It just so boring, I'd kill myself if I had to live down there.
    Let's hope you get left their hosue then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Let's hope you get left their hosue then.

I had to, their patriotism to little villages that were 200 km away that nobody had every heard was driving me crazy!

"You'd get the finesht people in Attymass"

"But even finer people in Coonelt ..."

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Let's hope you inherit their house then.
    *cough*

Clarified ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

Sam Kade wrote: »
    If they are so up their holes about living in their sacred city I say we should cut off their food supply for a month and then ask them what they think of rural Ireland.

Well we have these port things in dublin, dead handy they are, basically they facilitate the import/export of all sorts of stuff - Brazilian beef, French cheese, Italian ham. Im sure we'd survive...

We import oil from abroad via dublin port. We could cut off your oil supply and then you will have no cars to drive around in. We would then use the oil to heat our houses. Mu ha ha ha!!

Reckon you'l find that that Whitegate Refinery down in cork imports a bit of oil, and what with it being the only refinery in the country Im sure they'd manage

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I had to, their patriotism to little villages that were 200 km away from where I lived that nobody from where I lived had never heard was driving me crazy!

fixed your post ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

FFS, It's not about how many comedian we have, people from Dublin are just easier to be around and to get along with than country people. FFS!

... FFS!

I totally disagree. Having grown up in Co. Galway and having spent the last 6 years of my life in Dublin I can categorically say that country people are way easier to get on with than Dublin people.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭NoHornJan

Swallows, flying high and low and telegraph lines black with them September time.

Daisies wrote: »
    I totally disagree. Having grown up in Co. Galway and having spent the last 6 years of my life in Dublin I can categorically say that country people are way easier to get on with than Dublin people.

Baaaaa!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

tommyhaas wrote: »
    Well we have these port things in dublin, dead handy they are, basically they facilitate the import/export of all sorts of stuff - Brazilian beef, French cheese, Italian ham. Im sure we'd survive...
    Brazilian beef pumped full of hormones would end up with some rather large Jackeens walking around the Pale.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,671 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Daisies wrote: »

Well, seeing as you insist on jabbering on about Dublin in the rural things thread Dailies, let me correct you on that one. Dubs who live in Galway are called blow-ins and are never really accepted in to the "close knit" community. They are referred to as outsiders and blow-ins to their faces. I was once referred to a "filthy f*cking Dub c*nt" as a "joke" in a restaurant after the little man realised where I was from! I was getting on fine with the small minded fella previously! Galwegians, and people from all over Ireland and the world on the other hand have a long history of being welcomed to Dublin with open arms. Wear a Dublin GAA jersey to a pub in Galway you haven't visited before and see how easy your Galway folk are to get on with.
    Sam Kade wrote: »
    Brazilian beef pumped full of hormones would end up with some rather large Jackeens walking around the Pale.

Sam, seeing as you like others just can't get off the suject of the Capital, let me pick you up on that one, most Dublin butchers will only buy Irish beef, South American beef doesn't sell in Dublin at all. If it's not marked as Irish, you will hear people asking if it is Irish, there is massive support in Dublin for Irish produce, even the fish mongers are beginning to mark their locally caught fish. The red snapper and flown in on ice fish are only being sold to people from the regions the fish was caught in.

Actually... you should visit your capital more often. You genuinely haven't a clue about it, yet you seem fascinated with it and can't stop going on about it and the people that live here. I am spending the next four weekends in rural spots, but I would be happy to show you around Dublin some weekend in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Sam, seeing as you like others just can't get off the suject of the Capital, let me pick you up on that one, most Dublin butchers will only buy Irish beef, South American beef doesn't sell in Dublin at all. If it's not marked as Irish, you will hear people asking if it is Irish, there is massive support in Dublin for Irish produce, even the fish mongers are beginning to mark their locally caught fish. The red snapper and flown in on ice fish are only being sold to people from the regions the fish was caught in.

Actually... you should visit your capital more often. You genuinely haven't a clue about it, yet you seem fascinated with it and can't stop going on about it and the people that live here. I am spending the next four weekends in rural spots, but I would be happy to show you around Dublin some weekend in the future.
    John lighten up a bit you didn't I was serious did you? I visit the capital often and have no problem with it or the people living in it.

Galwegians, and people from all over Ireland and the world on the other hand have a long history of being welcomed to Dublin with open arms.

well, this clearly isn't true. my sister's been living in Dublin for a few years now and has always been treated like an outsider.

Can I ask where your little altercation with the man in the restaurant was? his attitude was out of line and completely unacceptable.

well, this clearly isn't true. my sister's been living in Dublin for a few years now and has always been treated like an outsider.

Well, she's mainly alone, people from all over the country have been welcomed to Dublin, the city has been good to them, they have been enterprising and are now some of the capitals top business and social people. Polish, Chinese, Africans, Lithuanians and hundreds of other nationalities are integrating perfectly with the people of Dublin.
    Can I ask where your little altercation with the man in the restaurant was?

A Cork man that lived in Galway, the restaurant/pub was in Clare during an Ireland rugby match. I was with a crowd from Athlone. He kept at it! Thought it was perfectly ok. Unfortunately there were kids there, so we moved.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

John, Chill man, Chill.

Well, she's mainly alone, people from all over the country have been welcomed to Dublin, the city has been good to them, they have been enterprising and are now some of the capitals top business and social people. Polish, Chinese, Africans, Lithuanians and hundreds of other nationalities are integrating perfectly with the people of Dublin.

oh, how i LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BumbleB

:) Love culchies.I couldn't imagine the place without them ,theyre great just like the 135's.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭pitkan

Overgrown ditches obscuring the road view ahead.

Zetors

black nellies ball busters.

BumbleB wrote: »
    black nellies ball busters.

wow - what are they?:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

Jackie Healy-Rae

MidlandsM wrote: »
    wow - what are they?:P
    actually i meant high nellies . There the oul black bikes that weigh a ton with the high crossbar and the postman used to have one. If you slipped on the saddle ,you would be infertile for life.Ah you know it.

China men with a biffo accent.

BumbleB wrote: »
    actually i meant high nellies . There the oul black bikes that weigh a ton with the high crossbar and the postman used to have one. If you slipped on the saddle ,you would be infertile for life.Ah you know it.

ahh right, I do fella, i do.:)

oh, how i LOL.

Look at what you just said. "Oh, how I LOL." I mean come on. Get out from behind the pc.

Back to the subject...

Cuckoo spit.
    Kids electrifying each other at a fence and having fits laughing.
    Frog spawn.
    Sucky calves.
    Stuffed pheasant in the window.
    Horse shoe on the door.
    Exposed superchargers. And I mean exposed, blocking the view!

No broadband (it's why it takes them so long to respond),
    No proper running water,
    No proper local bus services,
    Smell of cow's shit everywhere,
    Interfering with the animals ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Poitín (for the sick animal of course) and good Grass

Look at what you just said. "Oh, how I LOL." I mean come on. Get out from behind the pc.

i say LOL to a ridiculous statement. where's the attitude coming from? :confused:

you need to chill out a wee bit:)

i say LOL to a ridiculous statement. where's the attitude coming from? :confused:

you need to chill out a wee bit:)

Seriously ... do you LOL out load, jebus.

• Advertisement

Poitín (for the sick animal of course) and good Grass
    Poitin marked as holy water

Advertisement