Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you expect to see in rural Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Smokin_Aces

Some Dubliners thinking they can live in the countryside but one hour later they are ready to run back to Dublin because they can't handle a MOO/CAW sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭cock robin

The real men and women of Ireland struggling to grow food under extremely ardous circumstances in all weathers, so that pampered city dwellers can pop to their local foreign store in their car and eat. Schools filled with children that grow up with some sense of the real Ireland and not logo wearing ungrateful little arseholes growing up in mini Americas filled with criminals and drugs. Clean air only polluted by Dub's in their civics and glanzas rallying pissed during the small hours followed by their parents at the weekends who dump their crap all over whatever county they happen to be in. Oh and people who could'nt give a fcuk about what the neighbours have cos they cant see the neighbours. People enjoying peace and quiet and nature with not a Spar or Centra or a bus in sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Parking at the petrol pumps (without fuelling) and popping into the shop for your fifteen-minute weekly "messages". Most of the time, there is a huge car park provided for shop visits... but it's too much trouble to drive 20 feet.

Sometimes the standard of parking is so diabolical that four pumps could be rendered useless by the shopper. Worst culprits are women with children.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Cute Hoors

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭bmw535d

a batterd Isuzu trooper that hasn't been washed since it was bought,with 6 children in the back with no seats, green diesel spilled all down the side, more dents than a teenagers face, towing 20 sheep in a trailer from WW2.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭filthymcnasty

fertilizer bags containing turf in the sitting room

Ifor William's

• Registered Users Posts: 9,671 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

cock robin wrote: »
    The real men and women of Ireland struggling to grow food under extremely ardous circumstances in all weathers, so that pampered city dwellers can pop to their local foreign store in their car and eat. Schools filled with children that grow up with some sense of the real Ireland and not logo wearing ungrateful little arseholes growing up in mini Americas filled with criminals and drugs. Clean air only polluted by Dub's in their civics and glanzas rallying pissed during the small hours followed by their parents at the weekends who dump their crap all over whatever county they happen to be in. Oh and people who could'nt give a fcuk about what the neighbours have cos they cant see the neighbours. People enjoying peace and quiet and nature with not a Spar or Centra or a bus in sight.

I'm getting a bit sick if this anti Dublin crap. This is a threat about rural Ireland, I have participated with positive things. but why do people like you always have to come back to your hatred of Dublin? What is your problem? We have a sense of real Ireland, our kids are not arseholes, we don't drive to the countryside to litter. We have a true sense of community and we enjoy peace and quiet.

Take off you rose tinted glasses, look at your architecturally horrible celtic tiger houses with eight bathroom, look at your dumping, your fly tipping, your close knit community which actually means feuds involving greed, land, right of ways etc... look at your appalling road deaths, your drink driving. Above all, if it's all that great, why the hell are your young adults all committing suicide?

Sorry to bring up the negatives other users, but the amount of city bashing going on on a thread allegedly to do with rural living is silly.

I really don't know why you can't talk about your own rural environment in a positive way Cock Robin without putting other people down. We are also real men and women of Ireland, we have weather too, we are not pampered and in work just as hard as you.

To put it simply, your attitude stinks and it says a lot about you.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

****e, lots and lots of ****e

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I'm getting a bit sick if this anti Dublin crap. This is a threat about rural Ireland, I have participated with positive things. but why do people like you always have to come back to your hatred of Dublin? What is your problem? We have a sense of real Ireland, our kids are not arseholes, we don't drive to the countryside to litter. We have a true sense of community and we enjoy peace and quiet.

Take off you rose tinted glasses, look at your architecturally horrible celtic tiger houses with eight bathroom, look at your dumping, your fly tipping, your close knit community which actually means feuds involving greed, land, right of ways etc... look at your appalling road deaths, your drink driving. Above all, if it's all that great, why the hell are your young adults all committing suicide?

Sorry to bring up the negatives other users, but the amount of city bashing going on on a thread allegedly to do with rural living is silly.

I really don't know why you can't talk about your own rural environment in a positive way Cock Robin without putting other people down. We are also real men and women of Ireland, we have weather too, we are not pampered and in work just as hard as you.

Rambo,

you're in la la land. This is Boards, not real life mate. Get out more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,671 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

MidlandsM wrote: »
    you're in la la land. This is Boards

I know, I know... You're right. But, I do get out... more than most of the people here that obviously don't know their own country!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

I know, I know... You're right. But, I do get out... more than most of the people here that obviously don't know their own country!!

Yeah, but we don't have any chavs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭muffy

cock robin wrote: »

Can you not point out the positives in rural living without pointing out (your perceived) negatives in city living?

Also "The real men and women of Ireland struggling to grow food under extremely ardous circumstances in all weathers"... Do you work on a Soviet Kohlkoz??! And sure doesn't the government thrun money at the farmers...

Things I associate with rural Ireland:

People leaving the pub drunk and getting into their jeeps

Being given a place on the GAA team because of your surname/father/mother and not because of talent.

Beautiful vistas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭muffy

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Yeah, but we don't have any chavs.

Castletown begs to differ

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Good strong women.

• Subscribers Posts: 689 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

It depends 'how' rural you're talking...

One can always work out how rural a part of the country one is in by using the following formula:

(Number of people waving as you drive past/total number of people met) * 100/1

Results derived from formula:

>=30%: Moderately rural, they're used to outsiders, there's prob a nearby town
    >=50%: Quite rural, they would like to know where you're from and you'll probably find if you look in the rear view mirror, they've turned around to watch you go round the next bend in the road. It's safe but remain aware.
    >=75% Extremely rural, everyone at this stage probably looks like the next person you see...this is simply because they're related in some way or another...best find the nearest entrance large enough to perform a 3 point turn (or turnabout) and go back the way you came.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Now I'm from a village in Cork but one of the lads I went to school with is a pure culchie :D

Was supposed to be giving him a lift one day and wasn't 100% sure which house was his. Typically no numbers on the door. So I knock on what I hope is the right door and hear a yell from inside : "Come in! The kettle's almost boiled." Sure enough the door is unlocked and I can vaguely see movement in the kitchen, so I nervously made my way in. An old 'wan looks up from pouring the tea and without missing a beat says : "Ah! I was expecting Mick! Will you have milk?"

This could actually be in the WTF thread.

It transpired that I was in the right house, my friend was getting ready upstairs and he hadn't told her I was calling. You'd think that it was just as well it was me that found the door open and not some random physco rapist/axe murderer, but they actually leave the front door unlocked all the time. They don't even lock it at night! They're in the middle of a fair sized town too. If I tried that at my house there wouldn't be a bean left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Loads of Cocks!..................the doodle-do kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭bmw535d

alot of people around hear leave their keys in the car during the day and only take them in at night,same goes with house doors. the front might be locked but the back is normally always left open. incase a neighbor needs a lend of teabags or something,

1 fork horse ploughs painted up and used as garden ornaments.

Signs with bullet holes in them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

When you stop and ask someone for directions, they get into the car with you and bring you the long way to where you are going, so they can ask you where you are from, who do you belong to and what exactly your business is, in this part of the world!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

I'm getting a bit sick if this anti Dublin crap....To put it simply, your attitude stinks and it says a lot about you.

Typical jackeen attitude. Gwan back to the pale with you :)

P.S. ALL kids are arseholes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 TheMetalComet

i have to say this thread got childish after the first couple of replys. still the typical attitude from dublin people about country people. since ive moved to dublin ive gotten the same bs all the time. im not from dublin so automatically im from "the country". load of rubbish because i lived in a town.

im not from dublin so automatically im from "the country". load of rubbish because i lived in a town.

Ah yeah, but what town, Dromahair?

In fairness to the Dubs, a culchie is a culchie, whether he is from (eg) Sligo town or out in the sticks. At least you know where you stand. That's the way they treat me at work. I asked how do they qualify a non-culchie. Apparently you have to live within 10 miles of an IKEA :confused:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 TheMetalComet

MikeySligo wrote: »
    Ah yeah, but what town, Dromahair?

In fairness to the Dubs, a culchie is a culchie, whether he is from (eg) Sligo town or out in the sticks. At least you know where you stand. That's the way they treat me at work. I asked how do they qualify a non-culchie. Apparently you have to live within 10 miles of an IKEA :confused:.

no, it was longford. wether or not we are from dublin, we are all the one race. so wish they would stop actin up.

oh, and i dnt have to look to anyone to see "where i stand".

oh, and i dnt have to look to anyone to see "where i stand".

LOL :D Thats the spirit soldier.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,355 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

zippy84 wrote: »
    >=75% Extremely rural, everyone at this stage probably looks like the next person you see...this is simply because they're related in some way or another.

its weird the same thing happens in ireland the more urban the area

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

i have to say this thread got childish after the first couple of replys. still the typical attitude from dublin people about country people. since ive moved to dublin ive gotten the same bs all the time. im not from dublin so automatically im from "the country". load of rubbish because i lived in a town.

Tbh i don't know why the ones in dublin are so high up in their horses for because their city is crap compared to london or new york for example... which means they have no reason to go on like that, and tbh people in the country have a better life than in the city because they have bigger houses and are not stuck in the city looking at depressing old buildings.. and theres loads of amenities here and if you need anything big you can just goto the city (you could live a few miles out like me)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭spider guardian

sure as hell there'll be a dead cow on the road in bohola

• Advertisement

Dónal wrote: »
    Signs with bullet holes in them.
    That sounds more likely to be found on an inner city street.

Advertisement