Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you expect to see in rural Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Indubitable

That sounds more likely to be found on an inner city street.

Nah, they are great for sighting in rifles.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

owenc wrote: »
    Tbh i don't know why the ones in dublin are so high up in their horses for because their city is crap compared to london or new york for example... which means they have no reason to go on like that, and tbh people in the country have a better life than in the city because they have bigger houses and are not stuck in the city looking at depressing old buildings.. and theres loads of amenities here and if you need anything big you can just goto the city (you could live a few miles out like me)

And Belfast is so wonderful I suppose?:rolleyes: And before you retort, I was born in Belfast at the height of the troubles back in the mid 1970s so I know the city like the back of my hand. It's greatly improved in recent years but Dublin is still miles better.

I hate the "them and us" attitute to urban verses rural. Dublin is the primate city of Ireland, a third of the county's population live there and it dominates the country. That is a fact.

Look - rural areas have their advantages and drawbacks, as do urban areas. Enough of the sniping and bickering!:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

JupiterKid wrote: »
    And Belfast is so wonderful I suppose?:rolleyes: And before you retort, I was born in Belfast at the height of the troubles back in the mid 1970s so I know the city like the back of my hand. It's greatly improved in recent years but Dublin is still miles better.

I hate the "them and us" attitute to urban verses rural. Dublin is the primate city of Ireland, a third of the county's population live there and it dominates the country. That is a fact.

Look - rural areas have their advantages and drawbacks, as do urban areas. Enough of the sniping and bickering!:pac:

Naw i hate belfast its crap and i can't stick their accent for the life of me!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

No signposts

Priest and a big house parochial house

A Well

kerash wrote: »
    No signposts

Priest and a big house parochial house

A Well

That would be an ecumenical matter!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭ananas

Yes I do, both my parents are from Connaught. We used to go down there every summer for two weeks to visit relatives. It's just so grey, miserable and depressing with the smell of cows' shit everywhere. They're always talking about the neighbours and land. It just so boring, I'd kill myself if I had to live down there.

You would kill yourself if you lived in the cultural heart of the Wesht, aka the bustling metropolis that is Castlebar?? :eek:

I sniff self hatred, embrace your inner bogger!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Naw i hate belfast its crap and i can't stick their accent for the life of me!:eek:

I hate every accent north of louth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

ananas wrote: »
    You would kill yourself if you lived in the cultural heart of the Wesht, aka the bustling metropolis that is Castlebar?? :eek:

Of all the great towns in the west of Ireland, why on earth would you pick Castlebar as your cultural reference point? :confused: The main street there looks like it hasn't changed since 1985...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Pine martens.

I hate every accent north of louth.

but you'd love the accents north of belfast as thats were you lose the real county down crap, you know the one were they say thar for there.:mad::mad: Oh god i hate it!!:mad:

• Advertisement

ananas wrote: »

Tbh so would i, its so depressing and boggy down there, theres nothing there, its empty and rainy aswell. Everytime i goto donegal its always raining and deserted and theres like a town every 99 thousand miles (really like 40 miles but thats far too far). The west must not like me because everytime i goto derry like twice a month on a sunday its raining and depressing there, the west is so depressing its always raining!!

but you'd love the accents north of belfast as thats were you lose the real county down crap, you know the one were they say thar for there.:mad::mad: Oh god i hate it!!:mad:

I hate Every accent in Ulster, the 9 counties, not just 6. Monaghan and Donegal are 2 of the worst.:mad:

I hate Every accent in Ulster, the 9 counties, not just 6. Monaghan and Donegal are 2 of the worst.:mad:

But why the hell would you like them ones down south because they say three wrong and everything its so horrid.

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Yeah, but we don't have any chavs.

Oh congradulations you are the very first person on here to call chavs the right name!!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭John C

MidlandsM wrote: »
    Cute Hoors

Is this word "Hoo- " still heard in rual Ireland? It was once said
    that it had been gone for twenty years.

But why the hell would you like them ones down south because they say three wrong and everything its so horrid.

I didn't say I do, extreme north dublin and extremesouth dublin accents wreck my head!! As does a strong cork accent.:mad:
    Oh congradulations you are the very first person on here to call chavs the right name!!!:eek:

You mean skangers, right? :P

John C wrote: »

The whole time!!!

The whole time!!!

If yes, then some people are swearing the whole time. (going by above quote)

Will a man take offence at being called this by a near stranger?

How will a resident woman in rural Ireland react to being called this?

If yes, then some people are swearing the whole time. (going by above quote)

Will a man take offence at being called this by a near stranger?

How will a resident woman in rural Ireland react to being called this?

Getting deep here!!

Man prob shouldnt take offence, woman might. But dont hold me to this if you get murdered for insulting someone!!!

Getting deep here!!

Man prob shouldnt take offence, woman might. But dont hold me to this if you get murdered for insulting someone!!!

Thanks thetonynator! That is all I wanted to know. John C

More sights in rural ireland
    - a link road where two men in cars are stopped chatting
    - a non farmer helping his neighbour with bringing in hay

• Advertisement

I didn't say I do, extreme north dublin and extremesouth dublin accents wreck my head!! As does a strong cork accent.:mad:

You mean skangers, right? :P

What?? Thats another word i'll have to add to my list of words that i've never heard in my life.. why is Northern Ireland dialect soo different to the one down south.. really its like france or somewhere. Oh, and don't talk to me about south dublin or cork i have no clue all know is, i hate the dublin accent and any other accent down south except donegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭mariaf24

An oul fella leaning (lay-nin) against a gate,nods head and says 'Well boss'...

Man walkin grey hounds...

Oul fella huntin cattle 'Hup hub'

A worn out woman hangin out blue/grey ex whites on the line...wearin an apron...

A sheep dog lying flat out...

The council boys drinkin tae and havin the chat... shovel over the shoulders, nod as you drive past 'Well boss'...

Many many Toyota Avensis' (covered in ****e)

Yes i think it's pretty obvious where i live :pac:.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

yep, daily.......and its a compliment.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BumbleB

sure as hell there'll be a dead cow on the road in bohola

only 5 pubs , is it true ?.

At this time of night..... total darkness. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭NoHornJan

Kids Catching tadpoles/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BumbleB

The unibrow

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

can anyone tell me is sooooo a word used in mullnigar (it sounds like seeeee)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

SeamusG97 wrote: »
    Young fellas travelling at high speed on large tractors drawing silage..

Sukin on loop the loops with one hand!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

mariaf24 wrote: »

A sheep dog lying flat out...

:pac:.

i swear you must live in redhills then so.. theres a collie that refuses to get up off the road at a crossroads der! or maybe its just collies are like that all over the world... lazy bastards!

Advertisement