Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you expect to see in rural Ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

tommyhaas wrote: »
    Nearly every car with a tow bar

You mean a hitch???

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cormac2791

goat2 wrote: »
    think about it you city and townie folk
    we get to work ten miles away in minuits, you are backed up in traffic all morning,
    we have fine back yards, good size garages, big gardens to front, veg gardens, fruit trees most of us have our homes on an acre of ground, space, space, space , we can have walk in fresh clear air anytime, we also hit clean beaches, would not change my life for any other,
    we know our neighbours, can rely on them.
    all i can say is i am not jelous of your lives

here here!!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Bare footed people chasing pigs with sticks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Nearly every car with a tow bar

Don't all cars have one??

Bare footed people chasing pigs with sticks

What rural ireland are you talking about???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cormac2791

owenc wrote: »
    Don't all cars have one??

Nah, you have to get them fitted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭jordan..

the bicycles going by in twos and trees

& gunner eyes :D

great thread by the way :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

You mean a hitch???

this.jpg

I mean this sort of thing, usually found attached to a fairly dirty car, illegally parked outside a spar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭dezzyd

jordan.. wrote: »
    the bicycles going by in twos and trees

& gunner eyes :D

great thread by the way :P

Tommy Tiernan??:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭The Express

The Country MILF: Hubbie normally has a shop in the town or is a sales rep. Meanwhile his tasty missus with her blonde highlights takes care of their 5 bed stonefronted house, bringing the lads to hurling, coffee mornings and anything else locally to pass the time. Always drives either a Santa Fe or Passat. Always.

There's one in every country town.

• Advertisement

this.jpg

I mean this sort of thing, usually found attached to a fairly dirty car, illegally parked outside a spar

Another feature of the country : different dialects!! same thing, different word.

Although they have that in the city too . . .

The Country MILF: Hubbie normally has a shop in the town or is a sales rep. Meanwhile his tasty missus with her blonde highlights takes care of their 5 bed stonefronted house, bringing the lads to hurling, coffee mornings and anything else locally to pass the time. Always drives either a Santa Fe or Passat. Always.

There's one in every country town.

Our town is full of them. They can also drive a range rover . . .if they are very well off.

Originally Posted by dolanbaker
    grass down the middle of the road!
    owenc wrote: »
    :(

god.... its not like that sorry.:(

It is round here!

Barna77 wrote: »
    Biggest Tesco I've seen so far.

Road signs warning you to drive on the left. :confused: :eek: Saw that somewhere in Offaly... :D

There's one in Kinnegad as well, if you got that far on the wrong side of the road.... someone's looking after you! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Mr Cawley

dezzyd wrote: »
    Tommy Tiernan??:D

patrick kavanagh!!! 1 nil to the culchies:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

MidlandsM wrote: »
    Knackers down from Dublin to rob a few places.

They must feel right at home

You mean a hitch???

It's the ones with a pto you need to watch :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭shayno90

Young ones knocked up in, walking round in their pyjamas and lads called "Damo" riding horses while listening to skanger style rap on their way to pick up their social welfare.

The Hills wannabes on buses playing music down the back and starting every sentence with ro....ight and their Leinster jerseys covered in last nights mistakes!!

Oh wait what are we talking about again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

amazing how fast these two threads have turned into a dublin vs the rest of the country thing. why is their such a divide? dublin boasts about what it has, the country begrudges them. the country points out dublins faults even though the same faults can be seen all over ireland.

We're not that diefferent from one another people!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,355 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

an italian takeaway even in the smallest village
    packed pubs at 3pm on mart day
    packed pubs at 3pm on dole day
    disco on saturday night which brings people from all over the parish to fight
    lads ordering curry chips and a pint of milk in the takeaway
    junkies replaced with crazy folk

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

df1985 wrote: »
    amazing how fast these two threads have turned into a dublin vs the rest of the country thing. why is their such a divide? dublin boasts about what it has, the country begrudges them. the country points out dublins faults even though the same faults can be seen all over ireland.

There seems to be at least one thread every week. You'd swear we were different races and that racism was cool as long as you kept it in the family as it were.
    Ah now, most of it is tongue in cheek and a bit of a laugh, but you'd have to wonder about some posters, seem to be clearly delusional and are no doubt the type who never spent more than a week away from home

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

yeah we are! some of us have souls!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Friendly wimminz who don't walk around with faces like slapped arses.

Instead, they have arses like slapped arses .. oh matron.

/love country girls, especially Kerry women .. my favs.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Well in me own experience it was often the people from rural areas that highlighted the fact that i was from dublin and in fairness things like the shaking the rapists hand (even the local priest shook his hand) would mainly happan in small areas.

I have nothing against a bit of cuilche though as i say i love cuilche women especially mullingar gals!

In her victim impact statement, the woman spoke of being “judged” in north Kerry, but said she was not sorry for telling the truth. Everyone in Listowel knew who she was, despite the press respecting her anonymity, she said.
    “Even though my name has never been mentioned in the press, Listowel is not a big town and everyone knows it’s me,” the woman said. “I feel as if people are judging me the whole time. I’ve been asked by people I know if I am sorry for bringing Dan Foley to court. I am not sorry for it. All I did was tell the truth.”

theres my problem with small insular communties anything that affects the status quo of the community is considered bad, this women was a raped and locals asked if she was sorry? they had to ask that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

steddyeddy wrote: »
    In her victim impact statement, the woman spoke of being “judged” in north Kerry, but said she was not sorry for telling the truth. Everyone in Listowel knew who she was, despite the press respecting her anonymity, she said.
    “Even though my name has never been mentioned in the press, Listowel is not a big town and everyone knows it’s me,” the woman said. “I feel as if people are judging me the whole time. I’ve been asked by people I know if I am sorry for bringing Dan Foley to court. I am not sorry for it. All I did was tell the truth.”

theres my problem with small insular communties anything that affects the status quo of the community is considered bad, this women was a raped and locals asked if she was sorry? they had to ask that?

yeah that was f*ckin terrible. But it was an incident where a few gombeens were involved.
    It doesn't mean everyone the other side of the M50 is likely to do the same

Just like not everone from dublin is inclined to take part in riots against the love ulster parade

yeah that was f*ckin terrible. But it was an incident where a few gombeens were involved.
    It doesn't mean everyone the other side of the M50 is likely to do the same

Just like not everone from dublin is inclined to take part in riots against the love ulster parade

yea true that! i just think its a danger of communties being too insular which could easily happen in dublin. some peopele in ireland (dublin and country) hold backward views on communtiy supporting the chirch blindly being one of them, i seen it first hand and just sickens me.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭jigglywoo

Tractors parked on hills.

Herds of cattle all facing the same direction.

Bags of rubbish/large appliances dumped in drains and ditches.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    yea true that! i just think its a danger of communties being too insular which could easily happen in dublin. some peopele in ireland (dublin and country) hold backward views on communtiy supporting the chirch blindly being one of them, i seen it first hand and just sickens me.

speaking of backward say hello to my spelling!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

jigglywoo wrote: »

Bags of rubbish/large appliances dumped in drains and ditches.

I see just as much dumping in Dublin as i do down the country to be honest.

Advertisement