Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you expect to see in rural Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Lads collecting their dole in the local post office with horses tied outside:D:D

Ah yes, suburban Dublin at its best :D

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Mr Cawley

men in talking at cross roads
    and too many new houses:mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Why don't you get yourself down to Limavady this afternoon for the vintage rally instead of wasting your life away on the internet. Fun for all the family!

http://www.limavady.gov.uk/visiting/whats-on/619/

Naw, theres nothing there its soo boring and empty... oh and i'm not wasting my life on the computer i was outside for 3 hours!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

bright red whiskey noses on old men

flat caps

jumpers

closed signs in shop doors at lunchtime

poor hygiene

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 John Lynch Ph.D

Two men been forced into shaking hands after a scuffle outside the local, they do reluctantly eventually after a lot of shouting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

jigglywoo wrote: »
    Bags of rubbish/large appliances dumped in drains and ditches.

The biggest piles of rubbish tend to beside signs which say NO DUMPING (or "Recycling centre 2Km")

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Pride in the local community. Looking after those around you. Keeping an eye on someones house when their away in case some skanger from dublin is down to rob the place.

Having a pint and thinking how can people be so stupid to pay over 5/6 yuroes for a pint. Fecking eejits.

Peace and quite.

If the guards are doing a checkpoint everyone phones everyone so everyone knows :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭gucciali

a sister married to a brother:eek

car parking rules do not apply , cars parked all over the place in a petrol staion outside the door , in front of other cars etc

women wearing wellies all yr round and those bodywarmer jackets lmao

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

gucciali wrote: »
    a sister married to a brother:eek:

Eh no you don't because thats illegal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭dezzyd

If the guards are doing a checkpoint everyone phones everyone so everyone knows :D[/QUOTE]

So true...:D Think the Guards have given up where I am from.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

mfceiling wrote: »
    Things you expect to see in rural Ireland?
    Me mother-in-law - in her natural home - in a field with the other load of bullocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

Walking in to a Garda station to see them sitting drinking tea or playing cards.(or no one there at all!)

Traffic jam on Sunday morning because of everyone going to/leaving mass.
    Fellas in the pub after mass having a pint.

Wherever you go,you will always be offered tea,even if it's 25 degrees out.
    The council doing something on the roads.
    Someone in the shop complaining about the council.

Hay and sh!te all over the roads when the weather is good for farming.
    Young fellas in their 96 corollas and golfs "racing" on the backroads.

If you see everyone taking a back road instead of the usual main road,there's a Garda checkpoint ahead.

Cows on the road.
    Some old men with no mechanical experience trying to fix a tractor by any way possible.

My local "bakery" is a sandwich shop,where tayto rolls with slabs of butter are very popular.

13-16 year olds driving around.
    Loads of people with no tax/insurance.

Huge fires in fields around this time,casting the whole area in a cloud of smoke.

A few local nutjobs,one who goes around in a pest control jacket,always carrying a 6 pack.

Some fellas driving tractors/their fathers jeeps to school,with about 10 other fellas loaded in the back....and maybe even the odd honda 50 if you're lucky,unfortunately,Catherine Lynch made it look like we all owned honda 50s down here.(The fact there is a honda 50 in my shed means nothing!Nothing!!)

Best one I've ever seen :
    A man driving a tractor,with his wife in the transporter on the back with the shopping!

Oh oh,one of my favourites:
    People getting lifts in trailers and nearly everyone knowing how to drive a tractor by the age of 13.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

women with ronnie drew style beards
    Plenty of them in Dublin as well :D

Unless they are rural women coming up to town :rolleyes:

Ooo Arr

Cornish farmers in Ireland...:confused:

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

LFC5Times wrote: »

The general rural population wearing clothes that where in fashion in Dublin 10 + years ago.

People that can spell properly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Mick Daly

Dirty auld Farmers.
    Fly infested homes (attracted to the farmer's smell)

Pub, Post office, Petrol station, takeaway, newsagents.

Sh1te on the road, grass down the middle, hairy arses. Men with hair styled by saliva instead of gel or wax. The smell of menopuase among the women.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

dezzyd wrote: »
    So true...:D Think the Guards have given up where I am from.

Any longer than 20mins and its just wasting their fecking time. Anybody with something to hide knows their there and takes the BACK, back road!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Clothes shops in One Horse Towns with names like, "Snazzy Fashions", "Lovely Lady Fashions" and "Miss Manhattan!" that only sell clothes in beige.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Mr Cawley

men who look like men
    few homosexuals
    few social problems
    john from down the road
    nobody saying 'story bud'?

Old men who comment on the weather with the line "It's soft". My cousin who has lived in the city all her life was visiting one weekend, went for a walk, met old Patjoe as above, who of course in greeting said, "its Soft". She came back and told everyone we had a pervert living in the village :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

People bringing their home made sandwiches to sporting events

NB: Can be seen in Dublin usually around September time in the Croke Park area

EVERYBODY salutes you when you are driving.

And if I don't salute back in time, I feel bad. Sado

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

a cinema with 3 screens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Condi wrote: »

The reason why they bring their own sandwiches is that Dubs are the only ones thick enough to fork out anywhere between €3-€5 for a bit of protein slapped between two slices of bread & butter. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭LavaLamp

dezzyd wrote: »
    EVERYBODY salutes you when you are driving.

And if I don't salute back in time, I feel bad. Sado

thank god it's not just me, sometimes I am in my own world, and it doesn't register until too late - ****e I feel bad.

Micra's, they are EVERYWHERE and they drive at 0 mph as they run on fumes, gotta love em though

Sheep - we have no fences round our house at the moment and the sheep have been having a lovely time with my veg n flowers :eek:

stunning scenery, the best sunsets going, teeny tiny derelict stone cottages that a whole family once lived in somehow - oh I could go on and on, the country rocks, never a dull moment :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

The reason why they bring their own sandwiches is that Dubs are the only ones thick enough to fork out anywhere between €3-€5 for a bit of protein slapped between two slices of bread & butter. ;)

Thats one of the tightest things Iv ever heard someone say

Advertisement