Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you expect to see in rural Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Culchie / (descriptive). People of rural Ireland. Highly intelligent in comparison to there urban brethern. Have an immense knowledge of nature and wildlife. Have a fantastic sense of community and a great love for the national games. Possess an innate dislike of the pale. Lovers of the pint, the song and a bit o' craic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

For me, a culchie is a closed minded person who spends their entire life in the place that they were reared & believes that that place is the centre of the universe.

They are born there, they live there, their friends are all from there, they don't trust or like anyone who's not born & bred there, they drink there, they marry there, they work there, they raise their kids there & they die there.

Sometimes they'll go on holidays, but only to somewhere where they can be with their ilk - and as long as there is a McDonalds close to hand.

There are many people like that in every town in Ireland, but there are also probably more of them in Dublin than anywhere else in the entire country. The likes of Blanchardstown, Finglas, Ballyfermot, Tallaght etc are full of culchies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭gucciali

SeaFields wrote: »
    Culchie / (descriptive). People of rural Ireland. Highly intelligent in comparison to there urban brethern. Have an immense knowledge of nature and wildlife. Have a fantastic sense of community and a great love for the national games. Possess an innate dislike of the pale. Lovers of the pint, the song and a bit o' craic.

Dublin wannbeees lmao

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

I note Hairy Arses keeps getting mentioned.......but like, I've lived in Rural Ireland a long long time now and have never seen a Hairy Arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

Culchie / (descriptive). People of rural Ireland. Highly intelligent in comparison to there urban brethern. Have an immense intimate knowledge of nature and wildlife.

fyp

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭dezzyd

[QUOTE=alwaysadub;66494748

yeah i dunno what happened there-i just hit the quote button from him:confused:

EDIT: Why is it saying i'm quoting myself now?? FFS
    And why is it saying owenc quoted what i posted??[/QUOTE]

Having same prob here :confused: - For the record everyone - I DID NOT ASK WHAT A CULCHIE IS! Read previous posts.
    WTF?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

A Culchie is someone who can spend over an hour complaining about lads on the hill. (16).

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cormac2791

This time of the year, you'll see people collecting the silage, slurrying, hedge cutting, etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

This time of the year, you'll see people collecting the silage, slurrying, hedge cutting, etc...

and the turf. great drying these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Mick Daly

MidlandsM wrote: »
    I note Hairy Arses keeps getting mentioned.......but like, I've lived in Rural Ireland a long long time now and have never seen a Hairy Arse.

She noticed the hairy arse on the farmer bending down to shave the ram's bollocks. He then proceeds towards his place of work - the shed. He eyed his tools before throwing a shovel over his left shoulder and a spade over his right. The farmer marched over to the tractor and threw his tools in. He then hopped in himself. He spat on his hands so he could get a good grip on the wheel and then he drove home to Mary who was boiling the spuds and licking the cabbage to see if it was salty enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

For me, a culchie is a closed minded person who spends their entire life in the place that they were reared & believes that that place is the centre of the universe.

They are born there, they live there, their friends are all from there, they don't trust or like anyone who's not born & bred there, they drink there, they marry there, they work there, they raise their kids there & they die there.

Sometimes they'll go on holidays, but only to somewhere where they can be with their ilk - and as long as there is a McDonalds close to hand.

There are many people like that in every town in Ireland, but there are also probably more of them in Dublin than anywhere else in the entire country. The likes of Blanchardstown, Finglas, Ballyfermot, Tallaght etc are full of culchies.

Nail on the head.
    I'm from Mayo and my Dublin mates used to think it was hilarious when I'd refer to people as culchies/rednecks/boggers
    But to me it's more to do with attitude and frae of mind and general pig ignorance

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cormac2791

and the turf. great drying these days.

I'm tellin ye!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

Road death

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭John C

- quaint townland names on signposts
    - one km long cul de sac boreens (side roads) with one house at the end
    - On Sunday morning a neighbour collecting three senior citizens no longer able to drive and taking them to the local church
    - locals, families, clubs walking in community with new neighbours on Sunday afternoon

- the local rural bus collecting senior citizens and taking them to the local town. This works oby they phoning in advance asking to be collected.

- people at the local strand
    - teenagers going to Foroige
    - yellow school buses

- coal lorries
    - bulk milk tankers
    - county council men clearing the drains, cutting the hedges, repairing the kerbsides, bridges and walls

- tourists people of irish descent asking about families who emigrated
    - tour buses
    - dogs barking at these buses
    - cows, sheep, goats and horses

-golden cornfields
    - lush grass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

alwaysadub wrote: »
    Have to laugh when my Galway mates start talking about culchies(which to them is someone living in the countryside)

Ive heard people in Dublin, Belfast and occasionally Cork using the term but didnt realise Galway people used it too ?

You can smell the knacker off of him:

28_irish_farmer.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Ive heard people in Dublin, Belfast and occasionally Cork using the term but didnt realise Galway people used it too ?

Yeah, heard a few of the lads saying it before. Think they use 'boggers' more than 'culchies' generally though i suppose..

Mick Daly wrote: »

How did you get a picture of my grandad?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

tommyhaas wrote: »
    The sam maguire cup

+1

I like this........:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

Rothmans wrote: »
    People that can spell properly

People who can't punctuate properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

And judging by pages 14 & 15 - people who can't grasp forum quote tags.

Just look at the confusion of owenc & dezzyd as they struggle to figure out what went wrong, lol. Internet noobs. Just got dial-up last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

A tractor, some funny people.....I believe there called Culshes, a goat and a lot of land.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

unknown13 wrote: »
    A tractor, some funny people.....I believe there called Culshes, a goat and a lot of land.

Which is useless, my dad has a field and we use it for nothing!! Its just sitting there, such a waste of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 jibblybitsy

Ahghasgragh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Ahghasgragh

What are you talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭✭blueser

....hairy arses sticking out of ditches...
    And that's just the wimmin!

And judging by pages 14 & 15 - people who can't grasp forum quote tags.

Just look at the confusion of owenc & dezzyd as they struggle to figure out what went wrong, lol. Internet noobs. Just got dial-up last week.

I Can grasp forum quote tags, did you not read all posts? Ask alwaysadub, he had same problem, quotes got messed up for a while. Internet noob? I don't think so! Stop nitpicking and move on. This was a thread where people were having a laugh, go pick on another thread

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭gucciali

Funniest Thread Ever :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:cool:

Advertisement