Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you expect to see in rural Ireland

Options

Comments

Ahghasgragh

Twinned with Elphin. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭dezzyd

Lets get back to the op's thread and have something worthwhile/funny/interesting here........... :)
    what ye think

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Burning heaps of tyres littering the road after the local team wins "d'county"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭dezzyd

SeaFields wrote: »
    Burning heaps of tyres littering the road after the local team wins "d'county"

:):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

Silence
    Space
    Darkness

Creeps out the townies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

because of the lovely weather today, tractors n trailers full to the ballz with turf/hay/silage/etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Silence
    Space
    Darkness

Creeps out the townies.

You can't see any of them though.Technically. ;):pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

Its how you feel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

papagormo wrote: »
    because of the lovely weather today, tractors n trailers full to the ballz with turf/hay/silage/etc.

A couple of hot days & a dry wind - perfect for hay making.

At least I heard so on Newstalk from the editor of Farmers Journal!

A couple of hot days & a dry wind - perfect for hay making.

At least I heard so on Newstalk from the editor of Farmers Journal!

all im saying is..driving from galway county to dundalk on a nice summers day, very hungover..and big aul tractors n trailers and then smaller tractors with the wife driving it..made for one hell of a long journey!

• Advertisement

papagormo wrote: »
    all im saying is..driving from galway county to dundalk on a nice summers day, very hungover..and big aul tractors n trailers and then smaller tractors with the wife driving it..made for one hell of a long journey!

era you shudda just stayed in galway :p

SeaFields wrote: »
    era you shudda just stayed in galway :p

ohh believe! ringing the boss and making up some BS story was sooo close to being done! (needed the oul work though)

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭mayfire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Telecom Eireann phone box. :)

Ruu wrote: »
    Telecom Eireann phone box. :)

Now thats a good one!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

Bags of compost for sale outside the village shop.

Cars parked outside the shop with the keys in them & the engine still running.

Pints for less than €4.

The postman not only never delivers to the wrong address, but also knows your name. *

Cars parked outside the pub until 3am.

Lock-ins.

The back door almost always unlocked.

People who don't know each other saying "hello" in the village.

* = I usually forget to lock my car outside the house & on more than one occasion, the postman, instead of leaving a note to say that I've to collect a parcel, has left the parcels sitting on the front passenger seat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭lalee17

Sheep
    People with a bare grasp of English
    Silage
    People going to Mass

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

A more recent addition would be gaping holes in the sides of banks where the atm used to be and a burnt out jcb in close proximity.

The postman not only never delivers to the wrong address, but also knows your name. *

and correctly delivering to the right house when half a dozen separate houses were built by sons of the same family and none of the houses have names or numbers (those that he can't work out, get delivered to the fathers house).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

People waving at you whilst driving past you on the road...even though they have no idea who the fook you are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

A housing estate in the middle of nowhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Heh A friend from the town by me always love to point out two of the facts above.

1.How everyone waves to you as you drive past.I think we all just do it incase you know who it is :pac:

2.How when ever he drives out he always ends up leaving the keys in the car,yet he wouldnt think about leaving them in the car for two seconds in town heh.

Two things I have to add though,

Boy races and rubbish from the town :p..Honestly once someone dumped a car at the ebach by mine,tunred ove ran all hah.

A housing estate in the middle of nowhere.

Like Lucan or Tallaght?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

Sunday Game viewers.

Watchin the 'chimpship'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

The simple pleasure of walking to get your post (if you have a long driveway) and seeing a fox, a hare, and a pheasant. None fighting unfortunately

Hearing the Banshee! This happened me one night, frightned the bejaysis out of me. Have a half mile driveway going into the house, (proper sticks style) and I was walking over to my mate house and heard the banshee and nearly died. Met an aul man neighbour walking to the pub, which was a couple of miles away which is another rural thing to see, and he explained that it was a vixen screaming for want of a ride from a male fox. His words.

Goats. You can see goats. They culled a lot of them with foot and mouth but you still see the odd one who's made his way onto your area and gives yout the look as if to say "I survived the foot and mouth scare of 2001 and I can look you in the eyes because I know, I know, that I can survive just about anything"
    So you see this goat staring at you, you stare back, give him a little nod the is the embodiment of admiration and understanding, but he needs not nod you back... Just gives you a knowing world weary stare, has a little **** and gets back to his grazing happy and safe in the knowledge that you have no intention or inclination to moving him onto foreign pastures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Elenxor

Dublin delivery vans with drivers wearing Man United Jerseys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Jaysus, the parochialism and ignorance in this thread is astonishing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Hearing the Banshee! This happened me one night, frightned the bejaysis out of me. Have a half mile driveway going into the house, (proper sticks style) and I was walking over to my mate house and heard the banshee and nearly died. .

Are you sure it wasnt a fox?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Caoimhín wrote: »
    Jaysus, the parochialism and ignorance in this thread is astonishing.

Great isn't it...........

Advertisement