Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creative Writing

Options
  • 18-06-2010 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi

I wonder can any help me with this.

I'm going into Second year Arts in September, and I'll be continuing English and History as joint Majors.

One module which has caught my eye is Creative Writing. There is a series of them, including this one, ENG20510;

http://tinyurl.com/2e77yxl

But it's not one of the listed modules for the English Joint Major programme. So I would have to do it as an elective, I think.

I looked in Drama, and Film Studies, but I can't see a degree that this module fits in to. Does anyone know? Does everyone just do it as an elective? And does anyone know if it's any good/worthwhile?

I'll try and contact the lecturer for some more details, but thought I'd ask here first.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Well I did Creative Writing as an elective and it was one of the most enjoyable courses I ever did in UCD. It showed me the basic rookie mistakes I had been making in my own feeble efforts at writing prior to doing it.

I would recommend it to anyone who has even a slight interest in writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mumtoe&e

Well I did Creative Writing as an elective and it was one of the most enjoyable courses I ever did in UCD. It showed me the basic rookie mistakes I had been making in my own feeble efforts at writing prior to doing it.

I am really interested in this - didnt realise you could do creative writing as an elective. Did you find that it helped with assignment writing??

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Estragon

Sounds good, I'll give it serious consideration. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

mumtoe&e wrote: »
    I am really interested in this - didnt realise you could do creative writing as an elective. Did you find that it helped with assignment writing??

I wouldn't really say it helped with assignment writing. It's not geared towards that type of writing. It's mainly about encouraging students to get thinking about the creative process, but it's very relaxed and a lot of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mumtoe&e

hmm thanks mister nice guy, sounds good.. i might just choose to do that so! thank u

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭The Agogo

Yeah but the very second you're allowed choose your modules PICK THIS ONE. The places on this undergrad course go very quickly.

And noone in UCD has a hope of gaining a place on the Creative Writing Masters course.

Everyone I know wanting to do this didn't get it. Be very quick in your actions and very enthusiastic if you're lucky enough to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

I did this course in 3rd year. Unlike Mr. Nice Guy I didn't like it. I was more poetry geared, and prose didn't come easily to me.

It was based on a random selection. I was the only person who got it out of my group of friends and I think someone else would have benefited from it! :(

Advertisement