Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

legion avenue

Options
  • 18-06-2010 11:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

HI
    can anyone tell me what year legion avneue in dundalk was built
    or how i would find out:cool:
    THANKS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

I know my grandfather lived there in the 1930s so they were up at that stage. I have a very vague memory that it wasn't always called Legion Avenue either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Someone told me that it was built for British soldiers or officers. The library may have more information.
    I know McSwiney St was built in 1940. that's no help to you though.

I just found this mention in the Castletown graveyard webpage, I was all excited 'til I noticed that the last person mentioned on the stone is 1932 but we know it was there at that time 'cos of Dundalk Duffman's grandad.

MC CABE Erected by Mary McCabe, Legion Avenue, in memory of her father Patrick McCabe died 23rd Dec. 1887. His wife Mary, died 19th Jan 1919. Their sons, Peter died 10th April 1914, James died 20th Feb 1918. Their daughter Rose Ross, died 15th Sep 1932. R.I.P. McCabe (on plinth) (465).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

c 1914

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 smcque

definitly built for ex-british army soliders and before war of independence could be 19th century :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 king li

I had great fun in asking my grandfather about when legion avenue houses where built. He is still living in the family home in Legion avenue so he was able to give me plenty of info for you.

The houses in legion avenue where built just after the 1st world war around the end of 1918 to the begining of 1919. The street has always been called Legion Avenue. They were built for ex service personal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement