Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accounting problems.

• 18-06-2010 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭

Because of a situation outside our control, my accounting class didn't have a teacher for long stretches of the year. That means we have left huge parts of the course out, especially in Section B. For Section B all I can do are Ratios, Club and Service Firms. Is that enough? If not, would it be possible to learn something like Cash Flow Statements in a weekend?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭EvilLlamaThingy

Certainly possible, but not easy. Also I'd be a bit more inclined to learn correction of errors and suspense than cash flows if you're going to try learn anything. I find them easier and they're just as likely if not moreso to come up.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Service and Club will never both come up on the same paper, neither will they appear up if Farm a/cs are there. Learn suspense, and possibly cash flow if you have time. (These are no my predictions but they are apparently the most likely).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

A club and a service firm will NOT come up together. There's a good chance one of them will come up. I would definately learn suspence if you can because it has come up every 2nd year except for 2004 or 2006. Then if you have time I would say learn cashflow although I
    don't know cashflow at all as I was absent for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

Certainly possible, but not easy. Also I'd be a bit more inclined to learn correction of errors and suspense than cash flows if you're going to try learn anything. I find them easier and they're just as likely if not moreso to come up.

I would, but you need an awesome level of knowledge about double-entries to them and I don't really use double-entries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭pn7xjrqy6fhta1

Buy the accounting revise wise book. I got a D2 in the pre and I bought that book and it helped me to learn ratios,company and all the other questions. Now I will be looking for a high B.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭EvilLlamaThingy

Buy the accounting revise wise book. I got a D2 in the pre and I bought that book and it helped me to learn ratios,company and all the other questions. Now I will be looking for a high B.

This, for the love of God this. That book is a godsend. Got me a B2 in my mocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭jreanor

kev9100 wrote: »
    Because of a situation outside our control, my accounting class didn't have a teacher for long stretches of the year. That means we have left huge parts of the course out, especially in Section B. For Section B all I can do are Ratios, Club and Service Firms. Is that enough? If not, would it be possible to learn something like Cash Flow Statements in a weekend?

If you are an eircom broadband customer I'd recommend using their free accounting lessons (www.eircomstudyhub.ie). Really useful.(You can also pay for them through www.examsupport.com)

P.S. I dont work for eircom

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭aimerlans

hey guys just wondering do ye think id be ok leaving out suspense? i'm fairly confident to answer club,service and cash flow?

aimerlans wrote: »
    hey guys just wondering do ye think id be ok leaving out suspense? i'm fairly confident to answer club,service and cash flow?
    We almost definitely wont get club AND service. One or the other is likely. Suspense is also very likely.

yea i know that but do you think i'm ok with the other three? one will surely come up?

• Advertisement

I'd be very surprised if cash flow or Club/Service or both didnt come up

ok thanks, because i'm definitley doing ratios.
    is anyone lookin over incomplete/tabs?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Burswood

Yeah. Did a Tabular Statement there yesterday. Hasn't come up in a good few years so I think that may be a good possibility. Suspense is almost definitely going to come up.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I'm leaving out Incomplete Records altogether. My teacher did the 3 types in class very quickly at the end of the year, by popular request, although she feels it won't be up. I don't think they're hard, it's just that there are 3 different types - I'm hoping none will come up.

I'm studying everything else though (or at least that's the plan).

I am the only one in my school that has Physics and Accounting on the same day :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭JoeyBuddy

You could be lucky, because I'm pretty sure that either club or service will come up with ratios an suspense.
    They're the only topics I'm learning for Section B anyway. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Foxx92

I am the only one in my school that has Physics and Accounting on the same day :mad:
    Just two of us in my school.

On q5 what would the the return from risk free investments be now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Foxx92 wrote: »
    Just two of us in my school.

On q5 what would the the return from risk free investments be now?
    4-5%

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

4-5%

Is it not 2-3% now? When the National Business Studies Teachers Association of Ireland did their Accounting workshop back in November they put 2-3% in their notes =/ My teacher also said 3%.

Here:
    www.bstai.ie/wp-content/uploads/Accounting.doc

Advertisement