Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixing shelf attached to thin (partition) wall

• 18-06-2010 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/1669/shelf001.jpg

As you can see above, there's an attachment for a shelf that had previously been attached to a wall using three screws into rawlplugs. Unfortunately, the wall is a thin partition walls, meaning there was too much up and down movement; the slightest weight on the shelf meant they slopped downwards.

Is there any type of rawlplug that can cope with thin walls or any other workaround I can do?

Regards,

P.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Im assume your wall is an internal one where both faces are plasterboard fixed to wooden battens, and hollow between the plasterboard sheets. If that's the case, while you can buy plasterboard screws (they have wings that flip out when pushed through the screw hole and grip the back of the board) they are unlikely to take the weight of a shelf. Plasterboard is not a strong material.

I would suggest the best way would be to find where the battens are using a bradawl and then fix the shelf brackets direct to them with ordinary wood screws. The existing screw holes, and those made by the bradawl, can easily be filled afterwards with Polyfilla.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭rayjdav

OP,
    Metal Self Drive Rawl Plugs for plasterboard are the best solution, imho. I use them every where. Naturally, you will have to make a casll on the load on your shelf, within reason the take a domestic shelf.
    Anything bar the metal ones I think are crap.
    Simple to use. Bradawl for pilot hole, and screw in through, taking care not too fast as skimcoat will just flake around it. Then just screw in the attached screw fixing with it, through your shelf hole obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

rayjdav wrote: »
    OP,
    Metal Self Drive Rawl Plugs for plasterboard are the best solution, imho. I use them every where. Naturally, you will have to make a casll on the load on your shelf, within reason the take a domestic shelf.
    Anything bar the metal ones I think are crap.
    Simple to use. Bradawl for pilot hole, and screw in through, taking care not too fast as skimcoat will just flake around it. Then just screw in the attached screw fixing with it, through your shelf hole obviously.

Depends on what you are putting on the shelf really, as I've had them fall out of the wall. if you can find the batons in the wall and fix into them it would be the best bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,177 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Those shelves are a nuisance on a stud wall. They don't have support legs and tend to come loose if used at all.
    I had no luck with any self-drive plasterboard plugs, I had to use a spring toggle to fix mine.
    http://www.rawlplug.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=63&Itemid=34
    Just use a small washer in addition to this so that it spreads the force of the screw-head somewhat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭rayjdav

Fingers,
    Thats why I said youd have to make a call on the reasonable load you intend for it.
    Naturally, if the studs could be located that is the best solution. Problem is that where the studs are may not suit the placing of the shelf, ie not centered above sockets/bed/table etc etc..
    Toggle bolts, for the price, I dont thing are worth it. Self drive still, imho.

• Advertisement

rayjdav wrote: »
    Fingers,
    Thats why I said youd have to make a call on the reasonable load you intend for it.
    Naturally, if the studs could be located that is the best solution. Problem is that where the studs are may not suit the placing of the shelf, ie not centered above sockets/bed/table etc etc..
    Toggle bolts, for the price, I dont thing are worth it. Self drive still, imho.

I agree to an extent, but the problem is that you are hanging loads of a plasterboard wall. Togglebolts are great and they certainly won't slip out of the wall, but they will put all the strain on the plasterboard and cause it to flex, if its heavy enough, thus the reason to try to fix to studs if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭BROWNE51

I too have used various types of fixings to try and hang curtain poles into plasterboard...nightmare,they always come through.The only way to really do it is find the studs and use them for uprights,they should be every 300-400mm so it shouldnt cause too much of a problem.

BROWNE51 wrote: »
    I too have used various types of fixings to try and hang curtain poles into plasterboard...nightmare,they always come through.The only way to really do it is find the studs and use them for uprights,they should be every 300-400mm so it shouldnt cause too much of a problem.

If its curtain poles, then it should be over a block wall, which has possibly been slabbed at some stage. I'd go through it, and drill into the block and use long screws to fix it. Had to use 100 mil screws on one job before :eek:

Advertisement