Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stolen Gear

• 19-06-2010 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

My camera bag was stolen from my house a couple of days ago. If anyone comes across any of the following equipment going cheap you might pm me:

1 * 40D Canon
    1 * EF 24-105mm f/4L USM
    1 * EF 70-200mm f/4L USM
    1 * EF 50mm f/1.8
    a couple of various filters
    2 spare batteries
    1 Lowpro backpack

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Sorry to hear that. Will keep an eye out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

so sorry to hear that :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Where do you live?

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

sorry to hear about that - have you contacted the local camera shops and pawn shops.

would be good to know what area also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

have you serial numbers?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

Socos2 wrote: »
    My camera bag was stolen from my house a couple of days ago. If anyone comes across any of the following equipment going cheap you might pm me:

1 * 40D Canon
    1 * EF 24-105mm f/4L USM
    1 * EF 70-200mm f/4L USM
    1 * EF 50mm f/1.8
    a couple of various filters
    2 spare batteries
    1 Lowpro backpack

Thanks

Is your camera registered with Canon? Let them know that it has
    been stolen. It may turn up for service or repair in the future.

You might mention where is was stolen so that local boards
    members can keep an eye out for it.

Have you got the serial number for it? Canon DSLRs store
    the serial number in a slightly obfuscated form in the EXIF
    info.

Maker Note: > Serial Number: xxxx-xxxx

It may also be possible to get the serial number of some
    lenses from the EXIF info.

Lens Model: 18-270mm
    Internal Serial Number: ********

Gather as much info as you can and give it to the Gardai. They
    might seem disinterested in yet another stolen camera/phone/mp3-player...
    but they will try to recover it if they can.

Post the serial number in normal form and in the munged
    form from the EXIF here and on other public forums. Images
    from this camera will turn up on the web sooner or later.

Good Luck. I hope you get it back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Sorry to hear about that, this is one of my worst fears,
    I live in Spain so not sure where to go for Insurance , what do people
    here insure with ?

Is there an international crowd that will cover my gear if stolen , accidental damage etc ??

What would i expect to pay in premiums for this gear ? (roughly) ..

5d mk ii
    15mm fisheye f2.8 SIGMA
    50 mm f1.4
    17-40 f4L
    24-70 f2.8L
    70-200 f2.8L IS
    100-400 f4.5-5.6L
    480 EXII flash ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Out of your 8 items Monkey I own 6 of them including the Cam and flash! and I used to own the 17-40L!!
    The Sigma fisheye is the ugly duckling I'm afraid. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Out of your 8 items Monkey I own 6 of them including the Cam and flash! and I used to own the 17-40L!!
    The Sigma fisheye is the ugly duckling I'm afraid. :(

:confused:

And.....?

OP Keep checking buy and sell, Local papers/advertisers and maybe drop a note into local camera shops which may buy/sell used gear.

If you do find it ( Make some excuses and ask for photos of the serial numbers ) and I think asking the Gardai to either pay a visit to the seller or go along with you should be enough. Chances are if someone's selling stolen goods via ebay they'll happily meet up with you quickly to get rid of them.

I wouldn't recommend going on your own

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Socos2

I live in Claregalway which 10km from Galway city.

• Advertisement

Ricky91t wrote: »
    :confused:

And.....?
    I'll post what I want, if you don't like it press the report button mister know it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

really sorry for you man....

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

I'll post what I want, if you don't like it press the report button mister know it all.

lol poor ricky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Thats a nasty amount of nice gear to get nicked. If I see anything around Galway I'll give you a shout.

Is the serial number the same as the camera body number. If so camera number is 730541943

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Oh dear!!!!

Yeah I'm sure the OP was delighted to read how much gear you have, that must be really nice to read after his has got stolen!

What's the deal with house insurance covering this sort of kit? Don't certain policies have an 'acceptable use' provision? For instance, if you're using a camera to take photos outside, it's covered under the 'content' part of your home insurance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Oi.

less of the contretemps please you lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

handbags at dawn eh ;)

to OP yeah my sympathies, had my G10 robbed out of my car in the driveway!! not even sure of the serial number as i bought it in Heathrow and it was a slightly discounted demo model so i'm not sure if i even got the right box!!
    The Guards came up and swabbed the car but i didn't hear anything else from them since!!

still look at ads for a new one but the prices are rising all the time!! :(

really bad luck to have all your stuff gone!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

TelePaul wrote: »
    What's the deal with house insurance covering this sort of kit? Don't certain policies have an 'acceptable use' provision? For instance, if you're using a camera to take photos outside, it's covered under the 'content' part of your home insurance?
    best bet is to check your policy, whether it covers possessions as well as contents. you'll probably find that there's an upper limit on the value of individual items such as cameras above which they'll insist on charging you professional insurance rates.

for example, i have two bikes which were about 3.5k new; the cost of insuring these bikes outside the house would have been greater than the cost of insuring the entire house and other contents.

best bet is to check your policy, whether it covers possessions as well as contents. you'll probably find that there's an upper limit on the value of individual items such as cameras above which they'll insist on charging you professional insurance rates.

for example, i have two bikes which were about 3.5k new; the cost of insuring these bikes outside the house would have been greater than the cost of insuring the entire house and other contents.

Cool, yeah that tallies with my understanding of the situation. I've a bunch of guitars that are covered to the value of 1K under general home insurance, anything above must be listed separately. Still though, worth a shot OP!

When I got my house insurance only individual items worth over 3k had to be named. The camera was taken from my house along with a lot of other stuff. Meeting insurance assesor tommorrow so will see what he says.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

Socos2,

Sorry to hear your gear was stolen.

I guess if no other good comes from this, it's a timely reminder to us all to make sure we have noted the serial numbers of their kit (which I did when I read your post) and to check insurance cover.

Hope the insurance assessor has a head on his/her shoulders and a heart in their chest.

I think you mistook what Janer meant. I read it that he sympathized with the OP as he had/has most of the gear and knows how awful it would be to loose it.

If you re-read his post he was referring to "the monkey"s post who was asking about insuring his gear, His post had nothing to do with the OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

If you re-read his post he was referring to "the monkey"s post who was asking about insuring his gear, His post had nothing to do with the OP.

Silly me, my apologies sir.

lol poor ricky
    I appear to have been reported , Calina has given me an infraction, more like poor me.
    Calina has being after me for a long time now.

I thanked the original poster which is obviously sympathy to him. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

oh for god's sake. an infraction is an offence, not a punishment. it's like going to court and being told you've received a crime of five years in jail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 BizAngel

Have you posted on reward.ie

It would be nice if people's posts didn't get derailed by other posters' personal differences, particularly when those other posters are around long enough to know that derailing threads in this way is not a nice thing to do.

However, I have had a nice evening, so instead of handing out a few bans and more infractions, I'll say this. Please try not to derail threads like this again.

Thanks.

Thread lock.

Anything further on this, please PM the OP

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement