Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trying to sell car

• 18-06-2010 10:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi All,

I'm trying to sell my car privately at the moment and having no luck at all. I have it advertised online on lots of different websites but I am getting very little response. I also have posters up in various locations. Can anyone advise the best places to advertise? The garage I bought it from would take it back off me but at a much lower price that what its worth..
    thanks for you help..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭pajo1981

vwfan wrote: »
    Hi All,

I'm trying to sell my car privately at the moment and having no luck at all. I have it advertised online on lots of different websites but I am getting very little response. I also have posters up in various locations. Can anyone advise the best places to advertise? The garage I bought it from would take it back off me but at a much lower price that what its worth..
    thanks for you help..

Don't delude yourself. Your car's only worth what someone's willing to pay for it.

If you're not getting the response you were expecting, it's because your price is too high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭dunsandin

Hi All,

I'm trying to sell my car privately at the moment and having no luck at all. I have it advertised online on lots of different websites but I am getting very little response. I also have posters up in various locations. Can anyone advise the best places to advertise? The garage I bought it from would take it back off me but at a much more realistic, if slightly less than what I think its worth..
    thanks for you help..

:)fyp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Moved to new thread, this is unrelated to the one you bumped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭The Express

Give the model, engine, spec, colour, mileage and condition and somebody on here will value it to within two decimal places and quite possibly know where you'd shift it.

Welcome to motors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 vwfan

2006 VW Golf Comfortline 1.9 TDI SE
    78,000 miles, perfect condition, NCT 02/12
    Black, 5 door

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

yeah..thats it. would you like to buy it!!??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

Nice car, but it is a little over priced. I sold my own car this year a 02 IS200, and the only reason I sold it was the price well below what anyone else was asking. If you really want it sold price it as low as the lowest, taking into account the mileage etc, you can find on the sites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Bigus

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Volkswagen/Golf/SE-TDI/201022198248467/advert?channel=CARS

Here's a silver one less miles more than a grand cheaper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

lol, its nice alright, but I'm not in the market.

Heres another cheaper one: http://www.carzone.ie/search/Volkswagen/Golf/1.9-TDI-/201023198355019/advert?channel=CARS It might be the 90bhp version but the lower milage and price will appeal to many buyers out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

That's overpriced by about €1.5k for any hope of a private sale.

Really? I'm shocked! I paid €14K for it last august so would loose a bomb! that would nearly be what the garage is offering me so maybe i should save myself the hassle and just go with them..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Bodhan

Really? I'm shocked! I paid €14K for it last august so would loose a bomb! that would nearly be what the garage is offering me so maybe i should save myself the hassle and just go with them..

Nothing in life depreciates faster than a car, or a house in recession. As the lads say it's only worth what someone will pay for it, and you were willing to pay 14k.

Put it up somewhere else, there's loads of car sales web sites http://www.gmotors.ie/ is free, as is http://www.cbg.ie/ it's worth a try if you need to hang out for the money.

thanks for all yer help. I might bring down the price another bit and see what happens. I suppose I can always sell it back to the garage if I'm really stuck..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Also bear in mind any potential buyer will be looking for money off too, so maybe you would be better off trading it in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

thanks for all yer help. I might bring down the price another bit and see what happens. I suppose I can always sell it back to the garage if I'm really stuck..

The garage will give you alot less for it again assuming they will want to buy it straight from you.

OP, two things stand out with me here:

1. The price as already mentioned. What you paid for it 1 or 2 years ago is irrelevant to it's current value. Do you're homework and check similar prices cars (not garage asking prices) and price you one below it. Keep reducing the price every few weeks until someone enquires.

2. The photos in the ad, the colour of the car looks very dull, could be a combination of dull weather, not waxed and background. Give the car a good wax to bring up that black, black is very nice when it is waxed. Also find a nice scenic spot on a sunny day and take some new photos. The object is to get a potential buyer's attention and give them a feel good vipe.

The hardest thing is getting someone to come and view the car, no offence but nothing about your advert would make me want to view that car over the many other Golf TDis for sale. Once you have somebody viewing your car it alot easier to sell it to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭VanhireBoys

alias no.9 wrote: »
    That's overpriced by about €1.5k for any hope of a private sale.

+1.. We are in a buyers market now... !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

What's Gmotors like for selling a car privately?

I just sold my car and I think Alias no. 9 was about right with the price. Just wondering - anyone know how much it would cost to get the timing belt done on my car? the guy who just bought it reckoned he would need to do it straight away so we factored that into the price..so glad its sold! thanks for all the tips..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭Motorcheck

Just wondering - what site worked best for you? Did the buyer tell you where he saw it?

• Advertisement

yeah..Donedeal.ie. I wouldn't mind but I spent €60 last thursday on Carzone..pure waste!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭Motorcheck

Thought as much. Donedeal seem to be going great at the moment. Credit where it's due!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Try a national paper too. A lot of people don't use the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

I'm shocked at how much VW Golf cars are up for on Carzone.

Out of curiosity I checked out my spec of my own car on Carzone

VW Golf 1.4l, 2004, Petrol, 5 door. c51k miles

Some of the prices are utterly ridiculous -

Example - http://www.carzone.ie/search/Volkswagen/Golf/1.4-COMF/201021198134642/advert?channel=CARS

Another - http://www.carzone.ie/search/Volkswagen/Golf/1.4-Comf/201010197189287/advert?channel=CARS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

What people ask for them can be alot different to what people actually sell them for.

Advertisement