Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Long?

• 19-06-2010 12:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    Myself and my partner are trying for a baby for a few months. I know that we shouldn't be thinking like this, but I'm nervous in case we cant get pregnant.
    Just hoping that someone might be able to tell me how long we need to be trying before we can get fertility tests. I am nearly 30 and my partner is late 30s so we dont want to try for a very long time, then to find out there is a medical problem.
    Hope to hear from you soon, thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 DR HOUSE

hi maisy boo, my sister has a 13 year old and two year old my 2 year old neice was a suprise, my sister is 32 and she was trying for 6 months for another baby shes now due in december but it was only after i told her to work out when she was ovulating that she conceived that month, they had just been trying at the wrong times! check out fertilityfriend.com its very good, its a year i think before u should see a doctor if u have not conceived, best of luck i am just TTC myself, xxx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

DR HOUSE wrote: »
    check out fertilityfriend.com its very good, its a year i think before u should see a doctor if u have not conceived, best of luck i am just TTC myself, xxx

+1.

fertility friend is great. There is a free charting service. you'll soon know exactly when you're ovulating and that baby will soon be on its way! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭mariaf24

According to the book 'Woman's body' these are the statistics
    25% of women will conceive within 1 month
    60% within 6 months
    75% within 9 months
    80% within 12 months
    90% within 18 months

If you know when you are ovulating and time intercourse at this time, stats may rise to your favour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

+1 for fertility friend. It is full of useful information and I learned so much about my cycle that I didn't know despite having periods for 24 years! I used the chart and took my temp every day. I also used the OPKs. Fertility friend can't tell you WHEN you'll ovulate so you need to use OPK's around your fertile time and keep using them if you don't get a positive result in the usual 4 or 5 day fertile phase. I only did one month (I was one of the very very lucky ones) but one thing about fertility friend is it's not always exact and it can do calculations for you or automatically correct your chart.

I ovulated very late that month and fertility friend told me I ovulated a few days before I actually did. I knew the date when I ovulated as I did an OPK for 5 days. I tried to readjust the ov date and it then told me I never ov'd that month. My temps kept spiking at the weekend because that particular month we were having a few drinks every Saturday night.

One good thing about fertility friend or just temping in general is you'll know at the end of your cycle if your pregnant as your temperature doesn't drop. That was the biggest indication for me and that's when I bought the pregnancy test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for all your replies, am definitely going to check out that site. It feels good that I can go on this and see how others are getting on and that you are all there for each other. Fingers crossed for you all.x

• Advertisement
Advertisement