Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

KC's - Douglas

Options
  • 19-06-2010 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

I have just come back from KC's chippy in Douglas which everyone raves about. Its always packed out the door and that is great. Tonight I felt a bit peckish so instead of going for anything heavy, I decided to go for the scampi. When I opened it, I was shocked at the few measly bits of scampi you get for 5.75. Maybe the guy dishing it out isn't very generous and the staff don't know this, but I was really annoyed. I don't mind paying that if the scampi are at least a good size but there were 8 tiny pieces in the box, the serving was pathetic. I was ready to go back to hand it back but partner said it wouldn't be worth it. I'm not impressed, I thought KC's were better than that, I don't particularly want to go back but if I do find myself there again, I certainly won't be having the scampi!!

Comments

i was in there for the first time about a month ago and one time since, there is something weird about the place that freaks me out a bit, dunno what to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

RoverJames wrote: »
    i was in there for the first time about a month ago and one time since, there is something weird about the place that freaks me out a bit, dunno what to be honest.

I agree, I think they're all born again christians or some such religion (on a serious note).

I went there last week, it was delicious, I shall go again next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

Dermighty wrote: »
    I agree, I think they're all born again christians or some such religion (on a serious note).

I went there last week, it was delicious, I shall go again next month.

Mormons as far as i know. The mormon church is by where i live, they're fairly strange people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

When you walk inside, the counter staff are like a Benetton advert :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

I'm always quite suprised by how little people complain about things but never actually do anything about it. What use is your complaint if you ain't gona tell the right people! I'd go back in there and tell them, or go back in and order something else and mention it and see what they say, they might have a staff member that is being reckless which can put off customers, so informing management might be helpful for them to rectify the problem.

Their food is quite nice, way different to any chipper I have been to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭Trashbat

Red Storm wrote: »
    Mormons as far as i know. The mormon church is by where i live, they're fairly strange people

They're Jehova's Witnesses.

I don't go there, because I never go to Douglas, but I've eaten there once and really do not see what the fuss was about. Its still largely deep fried crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

They are indeed Jehovas, but god damn do they make tasty food. Their meat patties and creole are possibly the best thing on the planet. Curry sauce is thick, spicy and gloopy too. Yum. Only thing that went downhill was that about 8 years ago they changed their chips and now they taste a little greasy. Before they used to be very similar to Matty Kielys chips.

OP, if you want to voice your complaint, you can contact them through Facebook or http://www.kcschipper.com

Plus free Wifi while you're in the queue!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

... Only thing that went downhill was that about 8 years ago they changed their chips and now they taste a little greasy...
    I'd say it went downhill long before that tbh and its a real pity as their food used to be fantastic but I wouldnt bother with them any more. If anything was to get me in the door now it would be the creole but even with that I've had maybe two in the last 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Legwinski

Maybe because they get there scampi in Ireland as opposed to some cheap crap is the reason..

KC's chips are my favourite chips by a mile. Dinos is horrific now. Lennoxes are grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Aha Shake wrote: »
    Maybe because they get there scampi in Ireland as opposed to some cheap crap is the reason..

KC's chips are my favourite chips by a mile. Dinos is horrific now. Lennoxes are grand.

KC's chips are sh*te. I don't bother with em. Soggy and greasy. Lennox's on a good day are far nicer. Chips you get in English fish'n'chips places tend to be way nicer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Kazbah

This thread is making me hungry. I love KCs especially the Vampire pitta but I always feel a bit queasy later on so I'm not sure why I love it really!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

KCs is pretty good. I much prefer it to Lennoxes or Dinos and Mattie Kielys when it was going. I always found the chips in Dinos and Lennoxes to be under cooked and soggy. It's been a while since I was in either of them places so maybe things have got better since.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

JohnK wrote: »
    I'd say it went downhill long before that tbh and its a real pity as their food used to be fantastic but I wouldnt bother with them any more. If anything was to get me in the door now it would be the creole but even with that I've had maybe two in the last 5 years.

Have to agree with this and everyone I know says the same thing. The last two times I've been (this year) have been very disappointing - the chips were greasy and the creole was drowned in mayo - I won't be returning anytime soon. It's a shame because they were fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

I completely <3kcs.

my usual is a poly with added bacon

nomnomnomnomnom

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Oleander

Excellent replies, thanks everyone for your feeback, I thought I'd have everyone on my back to be honest, defending KC's and telling me to shut up!! I do intend to mention about the scampi if I do go back, I do like to speak up if I'm not happy, I guess I was too lazy to go back the other night. I've chilled out about it, what's 5.75euro when there are much bigger and important things to complain about I suppose, but you know when you pay for something and it just turns out crap.

I've had a cheeseburger there, which I found to be greasy but tasty after a few drinks, their chicken nuggets were v. greasy, sausage in batter small but satisfying, don't like their chips (I'm not being biased here but the local chippy in my home town in Dublin is far nicer) but I do like their onion rings in KC's and their garlic sauce is yummy too. Not normally bothered about anything else. I think the reason people like KC's is that there is so much choice.

Thanks again for the opinions, funny reading them.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭johnnyjb

There chips are rubbish and very small portion for a chipper. Mc D and other places can get away with it but a small "bag "of chips is not acceptable.I like the Cheese steaks but they need to get the basics right.

The only thing i like are the unusual things on the menu

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Legwinski

Don't know what you're on about the chips being soggy :confused:

Had em tonight and they were crispy nom nom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Recon

I went there around an hour ago, got myself a Philly Steak. Yum :)

johnnyjb wrote: »
    There chips are rubbish and very small portion for a chipper.

That is so true, tiny portions of chips. No doubt better for the health though.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

If you go in just as they are about to close they'll bang in a good few more chips and whatever they have lying around.

Chimichenga and a chilli cheese FTW

Creole has gone all goopy and I can't finish one these days. They were 100% better 10 years ago. But still pretty damn good!

• Advertisement

I really reckon I won't be going on any more, it's just too weird in there.

what do people find to be so weird about the place!?! It's not as if you have to hang around with the "weird religious people" behind the counter when you're food is being prepared. I've always found the staff in there to be quiet friendly, which I can't say about almost every other chipper in the city.

Recon wrote: »
    what do people find to be so weird about the place!?! It's not as if you have to hang around with the "weird religious people" behind the counter when you're food is being prepared. I've always found the staff in there to be quiet friendly, which I can't say about almost every other chipper in the city.

As I said earlier in the thread I dunno what it is about the place that I find weird, other folks have mentioned the religious stuff, I didn't. I think the place is weird. Seems as you mention finding the staff quite friendly, I would have to say that I didn't. Friendly to me means a bit of chit chat and a smile perhaps. Not just being polite. No doubt the folks who served me were polite, friendly I think not. They didn't seem to be having a laugh amongst themselves either. For a chipper I find the place erring to the earie side of quite, in a word, weird :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

My first visit there on the evening after the Cork Marathon - I said to the cabbie 'take me to that famous place in Douglas' and he dropped me outside. Now I'd have eaten a horse anyway after the marathon and four pints but I settled for a large chips + garlic butter which were brilliant.

The way they process the large queue so quickly was also impressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭StereoLove

That place is ALWAYS packed out the door!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

man id eat the **** out of a bombay right about now

I really reckon I won't be going on any more, it's just too weird in there.

I reckon it's weird that you find a chipper too weird to get food from :confused:

Kold wrote: »
    I reckon it's weird that you find a chipper too weird to get food from :confused:

Would you by a car from a car salesman you found weird ?
    Would you get your hair cut in a barbers that you found weird ?
    Would you buy your morning paper is a shop that you thought the shop assistants were weird ?

I honestly find the atmesphere in that chipper very weird so I don't plan on going there again.

As I said earlier in the thread I dunno what it is about the place that I find weird, other folks have mentioned the religious stuff, I didn't. I think the place is weird. Seems as you mention finding the staff quite friendly, I would have to say that I didn't. Friendly to me means a bit of chit chat and a smile perhaps. Not just being polite. No doubt the folks who served me were polite, friendly I think not. They didn't seem to be having a laugh amongst themselves either. For a chipper I find the place erring to the earie side of quite, in a word, weird :)

That's fair enough. I didn't mean to be referencing you when saying people find the place weird. Is does get quiet in there sometimes when it's late but I've often had a bit of a chat with the person taking the order or on the till when the queue was short.

• Advertisement

Would you by a car from a car salesman you found weird ?
    Would you get your hair cut in a barbers that you found weird ?
    Would you buy your morning paper is a shop that you thought the shop assistants were weird ?

I honestly find the atmesphere in that chipper very weird so I don't plan on going there again.

Probably if it was a good car at a good price.
    Probably if they cut my hair well.
    Probably if it was the closest shop.

Advertisement