Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm lost.

• 19-06-2010 1:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

So, I've been having some pretty big thoughts over the past few days.

The thing is, I would love to go into movie-making. The number one course on my CAO is Creative Digital Media in Tallaght IT, which specializes (as you'd imagine) in camera, audio and editing work. It's a pretty nice course. :)

But the thing is, I've been thinking about it a lot. And, although it's a good degree, it feels a little flimsy. I don't really want to specialize JUST in film-making, even though it's what I want to do as my primary career. I guess I just want something a bit more solid and heavy behind my degree, like maybe Psychology or Sociology or History. And I would like to attend a university, instead of a Tech college.

And this is where my problem lies. I don't fully know what I want to do yet, and even though the CAO is still open for a few more days, I'm almost sure I didn't hit my goal of over 400 points. :( All of the big, general degrees that I would be interested in are pretty much out of my reach.

I feel a bit lost now. Does anyone have any advice they could give me? I was thinking about taking a year off and doing a PLC or something whilst trying to figure out what I want.

Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭RedXIV

which part of the movie making business do you want to get into? acting? editing? I'd say stick with your gut. If you want to do the Creative Digital Media in Tallaght IT, then do it. It'll give you far more chance of getting into this field. I know my brother did a PLC course on Tv and Media and said it was a waste of his time but he still picked up some contacts and at the end of the day, thats how people get jobs, through contacts.

Have you ever worked at a studio for work exp or anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

You might want to stick to dublin but how about arts in NUI galway. You could do film studies, sociological / political studies, history and one other. Maybe other arts courses around have film studies in their make-up. Arts in NUI Galway last year was 355 (random selection i think)

Advertisement