Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Headshop and Drugs Threads in AH

Options
  • 19-06-2010 2:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭

Has anyone noticed in AH over the last while, that every time someone starts a thread about headshops or drugs, it quickly descends into arguing and squabbling? The threads repeat themselves every couple of weeks and nearly always seem to end up locked.
    Anyone who does not condone the use of illegal drugs is instantly bombarded with posts and insults from several posts. See this thread >>> http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055940455
    for a recent example of this.

All of this gets very repetitive and therefore does not add anything to the forum, as it has all been said before. It also probably adds to the work that moderators have to do; as I said most of these threads end up locked.

Would it be a good idea to regulate or even ban the discussion of drugs and/or head shops? As I said, they do not really add to the forum as they are repeated every few weeks. I'm not saying that the discussion of new legislation regarging head shops etc. should be banned, if it is current affairs and contains something that hasnt been discussed countless times before it's not going to be much of a problem.

It's just an idea, I thought I'd put it out there.

Thanks.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

I honestly don't think you can ban people talking about something that is so much to the fore of national news at the minute, ie headshops.

Even if there was a ban, that would just mean that quite a few people would come into AH not knowing about the ban and start threads about headshops.
    Banning talking about that sort of thing would create a lot of work for the mods and I think they already do more than enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

User A - drugs are bad,rabble rabble rabble

User B - freedom of choice is good,rabble rabble rabble

Users C - Z - drugs are bad/drugs are good/criminals/decriminalisation/scumbags/my cousins cousins friend ended up in a mental hospital rabble rabble rabble

Mod - Keep it on topic people,banned for personal abuse,stop acting the bollix or thread will be closed

Users A - Z - RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE

Mod - /thread

Like Hank said,its something that is at the forefront of the news and has been for the last number of months but like everything it will eventually run its course.Best option would be just dont click on the thread.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

If we ban such topics from AH, people will feel forced to move on to the more hardcore areas like Humanities and Politics where nothing will protect them from the madness...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

With such threads I find that you can have interesting arguments for the first 6 pages or so,
    But then arguments go full circle again and again and again and again
    Not to mention the ridicolous trolling attempts
    Just ignore them

• Registered Users Posts: 83,206 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

that would be like banning discussion of Israel or Palestine just because its controversial; Or Abortion threads; Gun Rights and Gay Rights threads; etc.

From my own perspective AH mods have always used their own discretion when locking threads that have descended into madness; but its fairly uncommon that a discussion is locked down just for being a hot issue.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

But don't you see. Alcohol IS a drug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

The most posted phrase in these threads!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,508 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

a damn tasty one too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

Gosh, if only there was a forum on here that catered for such discussion. Tis a no brainer really. Shame Joe Duffy appears to run boards.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

There are other forums than AH you know.... :rolleyes:

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

DeVore wrote: »
    There are other forums than AH you know.... :rolleyes:

DeV.

Lies!

statistics!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Damn!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Fifteen posts in and no Bill Hicks reference? :mad:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

He's only a billicks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Pace2008 wrote: »
    Fifteen posts in and no Bill Hicks reference? :mad:
    "If you don't think drugs have done good things for us, then take all of your records, tapes and CD's and burn them." - Bill Hicks

=-=

This is what AH is for. If you want sensible discussion, goto Politics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

the_syco wrote: »
    This is what AH is for. If you want sensible discussion, goto Politics.

You're sure now....?

Advertisement