Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When to harvest potatoes

Options
  • 19-06-2010 4:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

I was given a potato grow bag as a present and they have come along very well. There is now a large healthy looking plant about 2 feet tall over the top of the bag.
    How do I know when to harvest?
    Should I be concerned about slugs eating the leaves?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Any idea what variety?
    Usually potatoes mature after flowers drop but there would still be weeks of growth left.

I pick large slugs off and am fortunate to have a stream to put them the other side.

Slugs can do a lot of damage to the tubers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 haze,

I had thought that when they flowered they would be ready to harvest in a couple of weeks.

I also have potatos in bags (first time growing) & mine have flowered but I dug my hand gently into the dirt to see if there were any potatos there. They are still at the sprout stage (that's not the right term but they look like thick beansprouts) & I think the potato forms at the end of the sprout so I have a long way to go.

I have googled this and alot of sites say to leave them till the stalks die off & yellow. If you dont know the variety you could always have a little look before you water them to see if you have potatos yet? Sorry I've no good advice!! was going to post the exact same q!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

ive been growing them for years, you can of course harvest them after the flowers drop off, but they wont be at there maximum size, but they are delicious. It's best to wait until the plant begins to die off before3 harvesting. Only take from the ground what you need, potatoes will live on for well over 6 months to a year under the soil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Hector Holmes

johndoe99 wrote: »
    ive been growing them for years, you can of course harvest them after the flowers drop off, but they wont be at there maximum size, but they are delicious. It's best to wait until the plant begins to die off before3 harvesting. Only take from the ground what you need, potatoes will live on for well over 6 months to a year under the soil.

Thanks for that - Does this advise regarding the potatoes staying frest in the soil apply to the grow bags as I was wondering what I was going to do when they are ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

Thanks for that - Does this advise regarding the potatoes staying frest in the soil apply to the grow bags as I was wondering what I was going to do when they are ready.

ive not used grow bags myself (i put into the ground). So long as there about 1 foot of clay above the potatoes they will last in the soil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

the day you plant the potato tuber, count one hundred days, that is when you harvest, they also say we can sow in august in growbags as things will not get waterlogged, we can put them where they will be on dry ground, i do intend trying that out this year

Advertisement