Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wildlife Along the Dart Line

• 19-06-2010 7:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I am conducting a Study of the Wildlife along the Dartline or close to it ranging from Howth to Kiliney, I would be interested in hearing from anyone who lives along or near the Dart line that has visitors to their Gardens or knows of spots where certain species regularly appear. I am hoping to get photos or video of these animals, they can range fromanything from otters to kingfishers, Herons, Foxes etc. I would appreciate any info my fellow Dubliners can supply along these lines. Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

The bird sanctuary beside Booterstown is full of strange (to me anyway) birds. I've definitely seen some Herons in there. It's too bad you aren't including the whole dartline as there used to be many feral goats around the tracks on Bray head. I regularly see lots of cormorants there too, even a harbour seal bobbing around from time to time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

My garden backs onto the DART between Sutton and Bayside. This year I've seen 3 different foxes patroling along the line here and even spotted a cock pheasant on the rails last month! Lots of bird species use the trees and bushes alongside the rails, with Bullfinches, Goldfinches and Linnets in particular travelling in flocks along the lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Holysock

Hi, I know you did specify Howth to Kiliney but I've seen one or two peregrine falcons sitting on the cliffs between Bray and Greystones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Holysock wrote: »
    Hi, I know you did specify Howth to Kiliney but I've seen one or two peregrine falcons sitting on the cliffs between Bray and Greystones

There's 4 peregrines now!:) And a kestrel hovering over the cormorant colony on Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

This is great info thanks folks. ill look into them now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

I am now including the greater Dublin area. so if you have any furry visitors to your garden such as hedgehogs, foxes, badgers, otters, mink, stoats (if you are the luckiest person in Ireland) Red Squirrrels, Grey Squirrels...anything really or perhaps a Raptor visitor then could you drop me a mail please? I would love to hear from you.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

If anybody wants to contribute to a proper scientific survey there are lots of organisations doing them, with many on-line e.g. biology.ie, BTO garden birdwatch, 2007-2011 Bird Atlas etc.

Wildlifeboy, some of the organisations recording mammal sightings may be a more accurate and specific source. Worth a try!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

Hello,

I am conducting a Study of the Wildlife along the Dartline or close to it ranging from Howth to Kiliney, I would be interested in hearing from anyone who lives along or near the Dart line that has visitors to their Gardens or knows of spots where certain species regularly appear. I am hoping to get photos or video of these animals, they can range fromanything from otters to kingfishers, Herons, Foxes etc. I would appreciate any info my fellow Dubliners can supply along these lines. Cheers

Wildlifeboy,

What is your game?

Seriously?

OK, for the purpose of this thread, I will suspend disbelief and I will accept you are doing a Study with a capital S.

Surely you would not allow your Study be biased by concentrating fieldwork on areas where people told you that certain species occurred. If it is a scientific Study, a real one, then surely you would not be doing it like this? For a habitat Study, wouldn't you be Studying a random section of the Dart line, and refusing to allow your Study be biased by the observations of others? What kind of Study requires people's photos and video? Or if it were a longitudinal Study, you would want observations over a fixed period of time, wouldn't you? Or for a Study of the Dart line's transect through Dublin, wouldn't you be walking the tracks (not advisable) or riding the train and recording species observed.

So what kind of a Study is it?

I suspect your motives are honourable actually, but I don't think you are being Frank and Open.

With a capital F and O.

LostCovey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I note that wildlifeboy makes refernce to Raptors again in his latest post! Whatever happened to the thread looking for raptor breeding sites to film??:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

I note that wildlifeboy makes refernce to Raptors again in his latest post! Whatever happened to the thread looking for raptor breeding sites to film??:confused:

Well it was RTE who wanted to film them, according to Wildlifeboy.

They are probably busy with the World Cup and Aprés Match and all that stuff. They will get back to filming the breeding Peregrines and Goshawks in Killiney after that.

LC

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

I've locked this thread...for now.
    I don't like the aggressive nature of some of the posts, but I understand why :)

I deleted the raptor thread and pmed those that had contributed to thread.

wildlifeboy has disclosed his motives to me via pm.
    I believe he is kosher with regard to research towards RTE program though it has moved on from raptors.

wildlifeboy, I think you may see what is required here with regard to looking for info. This is to be upfront and disclose your motives. If this is not possible, and I can understand why with regard to future national broadcast then don't come here looking for specific info. By all means come here to seek info on what organisations to contact to further your research. This is what many of the replies are giving.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement