Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with Speedtest.net - UPC

• 19-06-2010 7:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

When I used to use Eircom's 7mb package I had no problem with Speedtest.net - as the result was a fair 6mb

Then I joined UPC (30mb) and for some reason Speedtest.net , in my opinion, is now malfunctioning.

When running a speed test using Speedtest.net it will hang around 8mb for 3-4 seconds and then just rocket to >50mb - which shouldn't be possible on my 30mb.

852309893.png

852316437.png

When I run a speedtest on speedtest.magnet.ie it seems fine though - I get a reasonable 24-28mb speed (The line utilisation is 5-10% in my area)

So basically I am asking why does Speedtest.net not work properly for me? Is there a port I need to open or...?

Just in case it matters the computer I am using at the moment is quite old but I will be able to check on a better pc in 2-3 weeks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

If I were getting that speed I would just be happy and stay quiet about it to be honest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭KeithM23

If I were getting that speed I would just be happy and stay quiet about it to be honest!

Problem is that I am not getting that speed, if I test on other broadband speedtest sites they give a more accurate result, while Speedtest.net is messed up - and since it is the one most people use to compare speeds I am out of luck.

Anyone have any advice?

- Never mind I found my problem

Turns out for some reason my connection to dublin server (the one I use for speedtest.net) is bad and that is why it's all over the place.

I tried the dundalk server and got better results

853148026.png

Still speedtest.magnet.ie is best for me - anyone know how to get the tab thing that shows your speed from them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

Dundalk for me.853382207.png

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭donal.hunt

probably better off using http://speedtest.upc.nl/ as it's likely to be closer on the network / less congested than the speedtest.net website (results looked similar during off-peak hours).

The Measurement Lab (http://www.measurementlab.net/measurement-lab-tools) tools are also quite useful and can indicate if your ISP are traffic shaping / messing with certain protocols.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

I have a dedicated 100Mb symmetrical connection at my house via a microwave link.
    When I do a test from any of the Irish isp servers on speedtest.net, I can not get anymore than 24mb up and down.
    But when I am on the speedtest.magnet.ie site the needle goes off the scale, it tells me I have a 65mb connection up and down.
    downloading a file from ftp.heanet.ie I get a transfer rate of 7-8Mb/s.
    I just done a test from the ntl speedtest site, which I never seen before and It tellms me I only have 5Mb down and 7Mb up!.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The netherland site would only be good for Dutch UPC customers.

I Get 6.4 / 0.8 on it and I know my connection is better than 7.6/0.9

Most of the time public speed tests are inaccurate above 20Mbps.

The last place I worked with ISP stuff to test new stuff they always set up a private dedicated server. The public speed tests are only an indication.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

watty wrote: »
    The netherland site would only be good for Dutch UPC customers.

I Get 6.4 / 0.8 on it and I know my connection is better than 7.6/0.9

Most of the time public speed tests are inaccurate above 20Mbps.

The last place I worked with ISP stuff to test new stuff they always set up a private dedicated server. The public speed tests are only an indication.

I think its time for these guys hosting speed test servers to get a move on as speeds are increasing each and every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭swoofer

the best way to test speed is to d/l a big file, all the others are just toys.

gbcullen

Advertisement