Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What should I do, pls advise asap

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭PrimalTherapy

Any news?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

Sorry for delay - life goes on with 2 kids in the meantime!!

Anyhow, got on to consumer affairs who told me the dealer is obliged to tell me of any accidents repairs etc. However when I said they may not have known about the repairs or accidents, that it was I who discovered the notes, she didn't have an answer and told me to get on to SIMI:D

(I know, I was warned not to go to them but curiosity got the better of me).

I rang the SIMI to see what they would say and all they said was that they couldn't give advice but that they only deal with complaints, and to fill in the online application form. Havn't done that yet, as I don't know what to do tbh.

I also received the expected call from THE sales guy, and I cut him short saying I couldn't talk to him and that I would ring him tomorow (Thursday).

My problem is now - where do I start.

Do I throw it back in his court and see what he does??

Do I head straight to SIMI and fill in the form and see what happens??

or Do I apply to the small claims court and try and get back 2000 euros based on the information I have (keeping in mind that they could say I wrote in those details).

I have also had an email back from the skoda dealer in the UK who serviced the car regularly, stating they cannot give me any information without previous owners consent. Was hoping maybe they could tell me if they fixed it up and what exactly was done.

So now.................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

If you go to the SIMI you sign a disclaimer saying that should the SIMI find in favour of the garage you cannot pursue it further with your own legal team, solicitor etc.

SIMI 100% of the time find in favour of the people who put money in their pockets, the garages.

Bonito wrote: »
    If you go to the SIMI you sign a disclaimer saying that should the SIMI find in favour of the garage you cannot pursue it further with your own legal team, solicitor etc.
    OP do not go to SIMI for the moment then
    SIMI 100% of the time find in favour of the people who put money in their pockets, the garages.
    do you have any statistics to show that?

OP do not go to SIMI for the moment then

do you have any statistics to show that?
    I have had dealings with the SIMI. KBANNON has had dealings with the SIMI. Numerous others on here have had dealings with the SIMI and each and every single time I've seen them, there's been nothing positive towards them.

I also received the expected call from THE sales guy, and I cut him short saying I couldn't talk to him and that I would ring him tomorow (Thursday)....My problem is now - where do I start.
    see what he says but do not agree to anything and do not sign anything
    Do I head straight to SIMI and fill in the form and see what happens??
    no
    or Do I apply to the small claims court and try and get back 2000 euros based on the information I have (keeping in mind that they could say I wrote in those details).
    How could they say you wrote in the details? Is the book signed and stamped where the entries are?

Speak to a solicitor is your best bet. No one here can give you 100% correct advice even with the best will etc

I have had dealings with the SIMI. KBANNON has had dealings with the SIMI. Numerous others on here have had dealings with the SIMI and each and every single time I've seen them, there's been nothing positive towards them.
    that is not evidence that 100% of the time they back the dealer.Maybe they do and it would not surprise me but are you saying they never found for a car buyer

that is not evidence that 100% of the time they back the dealer.Maybe they do and it would not surprise me but are you saying they never found for a car buyer
    No need to be so pedantic. From mine and other boardsies experience, the SIMI are useless. I have never seen a positive reaction towards so therefore, as far as I'm concerened, they always find in favour of garages.

I'll put it this way how fúcked up it is. The people who fecked up my car wanted to get their hands on it again to look at the work they did. I said to the SIMI that I wasn't going to be giving the garage my car again as they were incompetent and I didn't trust them. You get no say in anything. They choose where it's sent to and then they charge you for any labour costs involved in the investigations.

No need to be so pedantic. From mine and other boardsies experience, the SIMI are useless. I have never seen a positive reaction towards so therefore, as far as I'm concerened, they always find in favour of garages.
    I was not being pedantic. "As far as you are concerned" is not much use to the OP nor is it any indication as to whether she should go to them. The question is should she approach SIMI and your answer is not of much use.
    And you will find if you do go legal that being pedantic is where its at;)

• Advertisement

I was not being pedantic. "As far as you are concerned" is not much use to the OP nor is it any indication as to whether she should go to them. The question is should she approach SIMI and your answer is not of much use.
    And you will find if you do go legal that being pedantic is where its at;)
    How is my answer not much use? You've just told her to do the same bloody thing and steer clear of the SIMI. So, you're just as useful as I am.

Right so, before this goes any further;),

I will ring the sales guy tomorow and express my feelings (nicely), and see what they come up with for an answer. If I am not satisfied with his answer I will get in touch with my solicitor - however I have a problem with this -
    He is on holidays this week, and that only leaves Monday and half of Tuesday next to speak with a guy who will no doubt be in Court or out or busy, and I leave on Wednesday for the UK...........

Typical, rushing things as usual.:(

How is my answer not much use? You've just told her to do the same bloody thing and steer clear of the SIMI. So, you're just as useful as I am.
    my answer is not based on my subjective emotional experience. . bloody this and bloody that is not much good in legal issue

a good start might be finding out in what proportion of cases SIMI find for the dealer.The one thing that would put me off is ageeing not to go to a solicitor if you go simi route
    I refuse to believe they never ever ever find for a buyer.

mumof2 wrote: »
    Right so, before this goes any further;),

I will ring the sales guy tomorow and express my feelings (nicely), and see what they come up with for an answer. If I am not satisfied with his answer I will get in touch with my solicitor - however I have a problem with this -
    He is on holidays this week, and that only leaves Monday and half of Tuesday next to speak with a guy who will no doubt be in Court or out or busy, and I leave on Wednesday for the UK...........

Typical, rushing things as usual.:(
    Try strike a deal with the garage first. As for your solicitor. His holidays are a lot shorter than the amount of time SIMI take in dealing with things. ;)

@Primal - The SIMI would never release such statistics.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Divorce Referendum

my answer is not based on my subjective emotional experience. . bloody this and bloody that is not much good in legal issue

a good start might be finding out in what proportion of cases SIMI find for the dealer.The one thing that would put me off is ageeing not to go to a solicitor if you go simi route
    I refuse to believe they never ever ever find for a buyer.

I dont think there would be a way to find out the results of all cases though? Personal experiences might be only way to gauge it.

I dont think there would be a way to find out the results of all cases though? Personal experiences might be only way to gauge it.
    There's not. The SIMI will never release such details to the public. So yes, stories of people personal experience with them is the only way to gauge it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

I will ring the sales guy tomorow and express my feelings (nicely), and see what they come up with for an answer. If I am not satisfied with his answer I will get in touch with my solicitor (

I would agree with that course of action - Also bear in mind that they might well be reading this thread!

Try strike a deal with the garage first. As for your solicitor. His holidays are a lot shorter than the amount of time SIMI take in dealing with things. ;)

@Primal - The SIMI would never release such statistics.

That's true, they said it could take 3 months - it depends on different things I guess.

Thanks again everyone. Im still very pleased with the car itself tho!!

if so then it would need more than the personal experience of one person and people he knows

if so then it would need more than the personal experience of one person and people he knows
    People I know? kbannon is a cmod and mod of motors and there's been a couple more users reporting gripes with the SIMI.

Absurdum wrote: »
    I would agree with that course of action - Also bear in mind that they might well be reading this thread!

That crossed my mind 2 days ago, but hey, what the heck!! They know I'm coming? Then they know I mean business!!:D

• Advertisement

People I know? kbannon is a cmod and mod of motors and there's been a couple more users reporting gripes with the SIMI.
    so? it is still a small number
    yawn Good luck OP getting off this silly argument now

so? it is still a small number
    yawn Good luck OP getting off this silly argument now
    It's better than 0 and it's a lot better than your "Steer clear of SIMI and contact your solicitor." Why should the Op take your advice if you're not backing it up? At least myself and others who have used the SIMI and that may pass by the thread can advise the Op on our experiences of using the SIMI.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Divorce Referendum

Well its better than no experience of them which you have.

Ok guys -

I AM NOT GOING TO CONTACT SIMI (yet):D:D

and Im not coming back to let ye know how it goes, if ye don't stop argueing something that isn't even important now I've made that decision!!!!:p

Will be back tomoro with update (if I don't freak out here while the windows are being replaced):mad: (landlords bright idea - days before I travel, have packing etc to do, and this is what he does........):mad:

Ok guys -

I AM NOT GOING TO CONTACT SIMI (yet):D:D

and Im not coming back to let ye know how it goes, if ye don't stop argueing something that isn't even important now I've made that decision!!!!:p

Will be back tomoro with update (if I don't freak out here while the windows are being replaced):mad: (landlords bright idea - days before I travel, have packing etc to do, and this is what he does........):mad:
    THIS IS SPARTA MOTORS. :D

THIS IS SPARTA MOTORS. :D

Ok now I'm lost:confused::confused:

Ok now I'm lost:confused::confused:
    You'll get the arguments. For future reference. Skoda's are god in here. Particularly the Octavia and Superb. If you VRS it's even better. :pac:

You'll get the arguments. For future reference. Skoda's are god in here. Particularly the Octavia and Superb. If you VRS it's even better. :pac:

I knew that, was only messing with ye all!!

And yes Skoda's are the best I think, I've had 13 or 14 cars and this is my second skoda which I find are the best so far....

Thanks btw.:D

Rang the dealer, bit late today due to having windows put in, but left the ball in his court. He said he didn't know of any history of accidents, damage or repairs and is passing this on to his boss.

I said I was planning on taking it further, he mentioned a refund, but I said I wasn't keen to give the car back as it was the one I wanted. And with going away it could cause a prob:rolleyes:

Now we will wait and see what they come back with.

• Advertisement

3 months extended warranty:mad:

No chance of a refund.

They did offer to refund the complete price of the car, and give back my own which is still there.

I don't want to give the car back, but if I could pick up the same elsewhere for less money, I would consider it actually. I have until Monday to tell them what I want to do, as they will hold my old car.

This is such a nuisance with going away on Wednesday!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I think youre making it hard for yourself by insisting to them that you want to keep the car, therefore implying that you are in fact happy with it.

If you are not happy with it then they have given you the option of a full refund plus your old car back. Honestly I dont think youre going to get a better offer from them than that. I could be wrong, but even if you were to persue it legally Id imagine that is the best you will get as well (thats not legal advise by the way, Im only offering an opinion). I really cant see them handing you back some of the money that you paid them for the car; Im pretty sure that would be an admission on their part that they were somehow in the wrong and I cant see them wanting to do that in a hurry.

Have a look around, see if you can find another similar car for less money or one that you are more happy with the condition of, and if you do then you might be better to take the money and your old car back and swap it for a different car. From my experience once you get it into your head that you are not happy with a car for whatever reason, the car will never quite sit right with you.

Can cosmetic repairs as they called it devalue the car in later years? They said it wouldn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

3 months extended warranty:mad:

No chance of a refund.

They did offer to refund the complete price of the car, and give back my own which is still there.

I don't want to give the car back, but if I could pick up the same elsewhere for less money, I would consider it actually. I have until Monday to tell them what I want to do, as they will hold my old car.

This is such a nuisance with going away on Wednesday!!

Try and hit them up for 1 years warranty and your next service for free. If they've checked the car over as thouroughly as they have then this should only cost them the price of a service.

Will give you peace of mind for at least a year and get you a free service too.

The amount your new car will devalue when you trade it in with the cosmetic repairs will very much depend on how long you plan on keeping it, and what sort of overall condition it's in. And whether the dealer you end up trading it in to notices the cosmetic repairs ;)

R.O.R wrote: »
    Try and hit them up for 1 years warranty and your next service for free. If they've checked the car over as thouroughly as they have then this should only cost them the price of a service.

Will give you peace of mind for at least a year and get you a free service too.

The amount your new car will devalue when you trade it in with the cosmetic repairs will very much depend on how long you plan on keeping it, and what sort of overall condition it's in. And whether the dealer you end up trading it in to notices the cosmetic repairs ;)

Yet the notes are in the glove compartment in the owners manual!!! And arn't I obliged to pass on the info about car being crashed and repaired?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Yet the notes are in the glove compartment in the owners manual!!! And arn't I obliged to pass on the info about car being crashed and repaired?

I might be wrong, but I don't think a private individual is obliged to disclose this to a dealer unless they ask.

The dealer is supposed to be the professional and notice these things. As for the notes in the glovebox, the current dealer didn't notice them, and nor did you until you'd bought the car.

R.O.R wrote: »
    I might be wrong, but I don't think a private individual is obliged to disclose this to a dealer unless they ask.

The dealer is supposed to be the professional and notice these things. As for the notes in the glovebox, the current dealer didn't notice them, and nor did you until you'd bought the car.

True:D:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I said I was planning on taking it further, he mentioned a refund, but I said I wasn't keen to give the car back as it was the one I wanted.

Sorry but what is wrong with you? The dealer offered you a refund - you can't take it further because he's offered to give you money back and you've refused!

The car is crash repaired, there's plenty of cars out there. Take the money and get another one!

There's not. The SIMI will never release such details to the public. So yes, stories of people personal experience with them is the only way to gauge it.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=ie

• Advertisement

steve06 wrote: »
    Sorry but what is wrong with you? The dealer offered you a refund - you can't take it further because he's offered to give you money back and you've refused!

The car is crash repaired, there's plenty of cars out there. Take the money and get another one!

Whats wrong with me since you put it bluntly, is the fact that I dont want to give back the car and Im leaving on a ferry on Wednesday, and don't have time to change the car for another one in diesel with a towbar, as there isn't one around with roughly the same specs. Easier said than done. I never mentioned either that I wanted to give the car back!!!!!!!

All I wanted was the dealer to refund me some money, but thats not looking likely. The warranty is only a way to get me off their back.

If there was a similar car in their lot, I would go up today and get the car changed, but thats not an option as there is no car elsewhere with the same specs. As originally stated I wanted this car and was happy to pay extra to get it. I just didn't expect this to happen, and expected I would have problems reselling the vehicle be it next year or the year after...........

Case closed - have accepted extended warranty from 3 mths to 9 mths. I just want to go and enjoy my holidays with my children, without the headache of having to change the car again either before or after the hols, and have all this hanging over us during the summer hols.

Will just change car sooner than planned I guess, and have told dealer if I go back to them, to give me a really good price.

Thanks everyone for yer advice. Safe motoring.:)

What am I supposed to be looking at? That they made a deficit this year? Not surprising when their logo is seen as a stay away for some garages potential customers. Garage sales dropped so they pulled away from SIMI. I know of 4 that have done it and their sales have gone back up.

Advertisement