Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does the Maintenance Grant cover MA tuition fees?

Options
  • 19-06-2010 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi All,

I have looked for this answer everywhere (including contacting my VEC and asking them in person) but so far no answers, so maybe you will be able to help.

I have been offered a place on a full time taught Masters next year which I will accept if the course tuition is covered by the grant. The fees are €4500.

If anyone has been through this process before and knows the answer I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I have looked for this answer everywhere

Have you looked at studentfinance.ie - under fees? under eligibility?

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Roro4Brit

fds wrote: »
    Hi All,

I have looked for this answer everywhere (including contacting my VEC and asking them in person) but so far no answers, so maybe you will be able to help.

I have been offered a place on a full time taught Masters next year which I will accept if the course tuition is covered by the grant. The fees are €4500.

If anyone has been through this process before and knows the answer I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Yes it does, but there are certain conditions as always.

I think it's a given that if you qualify for the full maintainence grant then you should also qualify for fees up to €6500 approx - it is definitely more than €4500 anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 fds

Thanks, that's great. As an independant mature candidate with income for last year well below the required levels I should qualify without any problems for the full grant. Thanks for the reply.

oh and snubbleste, yes I have looked repeatedly on studentfinance.ie, and citizensinformation.ie, and my vec website and all over this website... I still wasn't able to find a specific answer to my question.
    Roro4Brit wrote: »
    Yes it does, but there are certain conditions as always.

I think it's a given that if you qualify for the full maintainence grant then you should also qualify for fees up to €6500 approx - it is definitely more than €4500 anyhow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 natterer

Roro4Brit wrote: »

The maximum amount of fess that can be paid by a local authority is € 6,270 in 2010/11 academic year. So if your fees are below that amount, they would be paid in full by the authority.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 shoeaddict27

fds wrote: »
    Thanks, that's great. As an independant mature candidate with income for last year well below the required levels I should qualify without any problems for the full grant. Thanks for the reply.

oh and snubbleste, yes I have looked repeatedly on studentfinance.ie, and citizensinformation.ie, and my vec website and all over this website... I still wasn't able to find a specific answer to my question.

i was in the same situation last year. i returned to do an MA after being out working full-time. I was awarded the full grant and this covered all my fees. But be aware that it can take them a long time to give you those fees so you'll have to be able to cover them yourself initially.

the university has to invoice the county council for the fees and these are then sent back to the university and then given on to you. I started my course last october and only got my fees back in may!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭El_Drago

Does anyone know if any of the banks offers a deal to pay Master's fees until the County Council pays the university fees ,upon when you pay back the bank with the refund? Something similar to banks offering a loan to cover a second degree, except that you pay them back as soon as the University gives you the refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Icarian

I've applied for this too, I'm expecting the full grant + fees, but not the topup grant since i worked for two months in October and November, so signed off for that time....

so say if the fees are 5800, and the 3250 level 5 100% non adjacent rate, the 3250 will be paid in three instalments, in october, february and April...

but when are the fees paid? are they paid directly into your bank account? or directly to the college?

if we have to foot the bill ourselves until the grant is processed, does that mean they just pay the fees (in my case 5800) directly into your account?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭ramblingcelt

Be warned, grant cheques can be very late! Ask the the fees office in ur uni / college when they arrived last year. Some VECs are very slow!

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6467&Itemid=71

Advertisement