Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage Vs Renting

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

We had to rent a while back while renevating our house, I guess it's a matter of luck and a bit of searching to find a good landlord but have rented twice and both landlords were great. Made repairs quickly and left us alone.

One thing I'm not too familiar with is tenant rights in Ireland, I think I just took it for granted that if you sign a lease the landlord has to stick with it.

When you think about a mortgage and think about all the extras that come with it people aren't always better off in the long run. For instance if stayed with the house we're in the bank gets 120k in interest from us not to mention all the other extras that come with owning a house.

For us so far the benifits of renting outweight the negatives, I guess each situation is different and people want different things what suits one doesn't always suit another.

We know from renting before and keeping an eye on the property market and rental market that so far it would be cheaper in the long run to rent.
    Some landlords would also be greatful of someone to rent long term because I guess many are struggling to pay for the 2nd home and having a guranteed income would be very benificial to them.
    Having a good contract that works well for both would also help with any issues that may arrise.

Our biggest prob. would be we have dogs and we know not all landlords, very few actually, will accept one never mind 3 so that is probably at the mo. our only disadvantage. However we do live in the countryside and are willing to rent something nearer to the town but not right in it if the right property came along and some I've seen before do allow for pets.
    But it is something we have to consider carefully before going ahead.

I've lived in Germany before where renting is pretty much the done thing. Tenants would have more rights there I guess as it's been the done thing for yonks. At the same time they are mad strict about noise esp. in apartments.

Been interesting reading the different opinions so far.

Mind you if you rent imagine how tidy your house would be, all that moving every couple of years you'd be able to get rid of lots of junk each time lol.

Us Irish do love to own our own home though it's almost in built. Only thing us most of us really don't like us the bank own it for the next 30 yrs. by that time we could of been hit by a bus the day before the last payment is due..would be just our luck anyway.

Decorating your own home can be fun but when you are paying a mortgage and house insurance etc. you soon run out of cash to buy a pot of paint.
    With renting there's no house insurance to pay, usually no bin charges even just your esb/heating and rent.

Advertisement