Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Capello

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

He's going to announce the team much earlier, he must have got a bollocking at tonights meeting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

So I guess the English media are going to decide that all Englands failures are due to the team being named an hour or two later than usual? Heads in sand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

ntlbell wrote: »
    He's going to announce the team much earlier, he must have got a bollocking at tonights meeting
    I really hope this is not true, if it is, this is exactly why what Terry did today was totally out of line, the manager has been totally undermined. Pack of overpaid, arrogant, under achieving, prima donna pricks, none of them had a problem with Capellos methods up until this week when they've bottled it and are now trying to shift the blame anywhere but themselves. I was really hoping England did well, but its so ****in difficult when the players are behaving like such disrespectful pricks. I'm with Souness, player power has the game on the road to disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Mr Alan wrote: »
    I really hope this is not true, if it is, this is exactly why what Terry did today was totally out of line, the manager has been totally undermined. Pack of overpaid, arrogant, under achieving, prima donna pricks, none of them had a problem with Capellos methods up until this week when they've bottled it and are now trying to shift the blame anywhere but themselves. I was really hoping England did well, but its so ****in difficult when the players are behaving like such disrespectful pricks. I'm with Souness, player power has the game on the road to disaster.

Not sure how true it is, stan collymore said he got it from a very reliable source from the camp.

I don't think Terry said anything out of line today he said he was happy with capellos methods in the past and no one has a problem with them now..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Mr Alan wrote: »

Did you watch the interview?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Absolutely baffling to me that someone could think not only that Heskey merits a place, but that he merits it over Rooney.
    I never said he merits a place over Rooney. I said that Heskey has done his thing and has proven that he was worth bringing.

Everybody knows that Rooney was the first name in the squad. So please stop your nonsense and twisting things around to make them look like something they are not.

I also said that I'd play Crouch and Defoe in the next game. Rooney is way off form and its got nothing to do with tactics, there is something not right with the lad, his touch, passing and even his energy level are all way below normal and lets be honest if you didn't know who he was you would say he was completely out of his depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Terry's comments today were well out of order imo. Terry as good as aired the dirty laundry in public in the middle of a World Cup - madness.
    Terry has put Capello in such a difficult situation now. If he had a problem with the way Capello is running things then he should have said it to him privately. Normally I would assume Capello would be dropping him for the next game or some such. But his options are very limited now so it's catch 22 for him.

I'm surprised Souness' theory about the high altitude team base wiping out the players' energy hasn't been mentioned more on here. Souness seemed to be very knowledgeable on the subject and if he's right it pretty much explains the current farce on the pitch. I've always been very critical of England because of their lack of technical players in midfield and I expected them to struggle at the wc but I never expected them to struggle so badly against Algeria. The fatigue from unnecessary altitude exposure at the base seems like a good explanation to me.

He's been injured.
    Exactly, he is unproven at the moment and you want him in the team ahead of players that have shown good form over the season.
    Wanting to keep Rooney in the team makes you lmfao? 2 bad games or not, he's England's best player by a country ****ing mile.
    Rooney has been diabolical, there is something very wrong but you can't just keep playing somebody who looks completely out of his depth as things stand.
    You simply cannot afford to keep Rooney in the team when he is playing like this, its suicide.
    England aren't exactly blessed with options at holding midfield, and Parker has been as good as any... and Johnson's had a good season. He's more creative than most of England's wingers and lord knows they could do with some.
    My bad on Johnson, I was think Andrew Johnson for some reason. I think you will understand that this explains everything I said i.e. someobody on fire at his club(Zamora).
    Apologies on that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

he's wide men need to stop fcuking about on ball and whip in some dam crosses , all they do it hold it till they lose it,just get it it there asap, beckham style,
    lennon tries to get beyond full back that is camped on his touchline, :rolleyes:
    rooneys hungry and he's not been fed !

rooney is not playing badly ,he's a striker ,he's not getting a touch,,like torres he could be out of game for 88 mins then win it for ya

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jun/21/john-terry-england-squad seems no one backed him up when face to face with capelo

• Advertisement

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,james
    johnson , carra, terry , warnock

philips,, barry ,,gerrard ,, A. cole

,,,,,,,,,,,,,crouch
    ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,rooney

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Capello tells Terry & Co: STFU

Fabio Capello stunned England’s reeling players by gagging them at what was supposed to be a clear-the-air meeting.

He had been expected to allow his squad to have their say over Friday’s dismal performance against Algeria, which left a group of nine seeking widespread changes.

But instead the England coach told players they could not voice their opinions on what was wrong. “Everyone had gone to the meeting expecting to be able to have a frank chat about what could be done to put things right,” said a source close to the team.

“But Fabio made it plain straight away that was not going to happen. He stood up at the front of the room and made it clear to the players he would not tolerate any debate.

“He just stood there and said ‘nobody speak, nobody speak’. He told the players they would be watching the first half of the Algeria game then going for dinner and that was it.”

A group of nine players discussed concerns over a beer last Friday night. But having thought they would be heard, the players were stunned by Capello’s stance.

They are all deeply unhappy about the regime they are being forced to endure at England’s training base outside Rustenburg.

Terry revealed the players were himself, plus Frank Lampard, Wayne Rooney, Aaron Lennon, David James, Peter Crouch, Glen Johnson, Jamie Carragher and Steven Gerrard. They were hoping that Capello would use last night’s meeting to say he was ready to compromise. They hoped the meeting would clear the air and lift the mood ahead of Wednesday’s must-win game against Slovenia.

But Capello has never managed that way before and he made it plain he will not change now. It means that England will go into their crunch game still riven with tensions and deeply unhappy with his management style.

His stance last night followed on from John Terry risking a dressing- room split after revealing the players’ crisis meeting.

Terry now finds himself in a minority of players who believed it was right to go public with their unhappiness only for issues not to be raised last night.

The former skipper had said yesterday morning: “We are in a meeting with the manager, whether he starts it or finishes it, the players can say how they feel and if it upsets him then I’m on the verge of just saying: ‘you know what? So what? I’m here to win it for England’.”

One concession that Fabio will give to the players is that he will name his team well in advance, instead of making them wait until two hours before kick-off.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/World-Cup-2010-England-boss-Fabio-Capello-gets-tough-after-England-players-including-Wayne-Rooney-John-Terry-and-Steven-Gerrard-threaten-revolt-article481947.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

I suppose the proof of the pudding will be in the eating , lets see what happens on Weds afternoon

England have been shockingly bad

Lets hope something changes , I am desperately disappointed by the performances , Friday night was just terrible, nothing good at all.

I think Rooney is carrying an injury ( or appears to be ).

As for his little rant at the camera , those fans you are slagging off Wayne paid thousands to come and watch you !! ...... they have every right to be angry.

Capello needs to change something , but what ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Archimedes wrote: »

jesus i hope this is true

bloody hilarious if so

what is this regime that they arent happy with, what did they expect?

the players are idiots IMO, they do not and will not listen to his instructions.

supposedly at HT in the algeria game he asked terry to start bringing the ball out of defence, to make the midfield push up and pressure algeria. Terry did this the first time he got it and then failed to do so again. capello was screaming at him to do it again but he never did.

what can the manager do about that?

EDIT: also, where the fúck is Gerrard in all this? He is the captain, he should be the one addressing the media if needs be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,467 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

event wrote: »
    supposedly at HT in the algeria game he asked terry to start bringing the ball out of defence, to make the midfield push up and pressure algeria. Terry did this the first time he got it and then failed to do so again. capello was screaming at him to do it again but he never did.

what can the manager do about that?

EDIT: also, where the fúck is Gerrard in all this? He is the captain, he should be the one addressing the media if needs be
    I was actually thinking the other day that England might be really missing Rio as he is the best passing CB they have, and neither Carragher or Terry are that type of defender. Dawson coming into the side for the next game could be a good change for them (though it may be, and probably will be, Upson who gets the nod)

As for where was Gerrard.... the players do not decide who goes to the press conferences, so it is not fair to be having a go at him over it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

eagle eye wrote: »
    As for your selections that aren't even in the squad, Johnson are you for real? A guy that has been injured for most of the season and couldn't get his place back because another English player was on fire at his club.

I'm pretty sure he didn't mean Andy Johnson!

I agree on Parker though - he failed to make the grade at Chelsea, regardless of what he's done before or since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Terry should be dropped for the next game, if all of what i'm reading is true. He's a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,807 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I was actually thinking the other day that England might be really missing Rio as he is the best passing CB they have, and neither Carragher or Terry are that type of defender. Dawson coming into the side for the next game could be a good change for them (though it may be, and probably will be, Upson who gets the nod)

As for where was Gerrard.... the players do not decide who goes to the press conferences, so it is not fair to be having a go at him over it.

It amazes me that Rio gets so many plaudits for being a "passing center back".
    The passing they are looking for is relativley straight forward. Out of defence to a midfield player.
    Its no like as if Rio is playing defence splitting passes out of defence on a regular basis.......
    The pressure is whats at them - its the only explaination I can come up with. People say that these players are used to pressure but the arent used to this level of pressure from ALL the English media and fans. Perhaps Capello isnt deflecting the pressure well enough, i dont know.
    There's also a bit of an air of "we know best" when it comes to the players. Caps was an excellent manager until 2 weeks ago, now he doesnt know what he is doing.......really? Nope I think the players have let the pressure and hype get to them. Perhaps they need a few more pints before the final game to try relax a bit.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Why are the players even reading the papers? The media should have little to no influence on how they perform.

• Advertisement

Terry should be dropped for the next game, if all of what i'm reading is true. He's a joke.

Yeah they should also drop the 8 other players as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Capello is a superb manager, his record speaks for itself.

Players are not doing their job on the pitch, he has to take some blame for that but there is a lot of nonsense in this thread.

Indeed, and you're responsible for a healthy slice of it.

Defending Heskey (it was 24 minutes I believe before he passed to an English shirt the other night), calling for Rooney (the nation's best player and proven match winner) to be dropped for a crucial game, and discrediting Scott Parker who had a superb season.

Nonsense indeed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Lukker- wrote: »
    Yeah they should also drop the 8 other players as well.

who, by all accounts, didn't want to go public with their views, and disowned Terry at the meeting.
    They may have had misgivings, but it seems they at least maintained some professionalism.

who, by all accounts, didn't want to go public with their views, and disowned Terry at the meeting.
    They may have had misgivings, but it seems they at least maintained some professionalism.

Oh dear, you've been reading too much sensationalism in the papers. Theres a difference between not backing him and being told straight up by Capello that they can't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Anyone listening to Dunphy on RTE radio right now? He's laying into Capello.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

mike65 wrote: »

Any chance of a summary mike?

• Advertisement

Upson is starting against Slovenia. Basically sums up Capello.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Carragher's suspended and King's injured, so he doesn't have much of a choice. I wonder if Terry's position would otherwise be under threat.

Carragher's suspended and King's injured, so he doesn't have much of a choice. I wonder if Terry's position would otherwise be under threat.

Well I was talking about how he is picking Upson who really had a dreadful dreadful season over Dawson who has been nearly faultless all season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

mike65 wrote: »

:eek:, I don't believe it.

kippy wrote: »
    It amazes me that Rio gets so many plaudits for being a "passing center back".
    The passing they are looking for is relativley straight forward. Out of defence to a midfield player.
    Its no like as if Rio is playing defence splitting passes out of defence on a regular basis.......
    Indeed - but Rio is more likely to take the ball out of defense and bring it forward than either Terry or Carragher are - who are/have been the ball winner of their better partnerships (Carvalho and Hyppia being the more 'continental' style ball player.

• Advertisement

Indeed - but Rio is more likely to take the ball out of defense and bring it forward than either Terry or Carragher are - who are/have been the ball winner of their better partnerships (Carvalho and Hyppia being the more 'continental' style ball player.

I dont think it's that big a deal to be perfectly honest.

The ball gets out of defence and to the midfield either way.

I dont think it's that big a deal to be perfectly honest.

The ball gets out of defence and to the midfield either way.

not all that well - a lot of the time against algeria, and in general, it gets freaking lumped forward for the strikers and midfielders to battle for.

EDIT: I would also say England sometimes miss a player like Scholes who will make the angles for the defense to pass to, and then turn a play a good forward pass himself. When England play Lampard and Gerrard in the middle they both end up bombing forward leaving the full backs and wingers as the main out balls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

lordgoat wrote: »
    Any chance of a summary mike?

Capello is nothing more than an impetuous headbanger. He's an over rated prima donna, who's tactics are inept and poor, baby. He's not a great manager, he's a good manager. I'm not gonna address the Fabio Capello agenda though, Capello is a creep. The man's an idiot, a Mother Theresa.

BABY

not all that well - a lot of the time against algeria, and in general, it gets freaking lumped forward for the strikers and midfielders to battle for.

EDIT: I would also say England sometimes miss a player like Scholes who will make the angles for the defense to pass to, and then turn a play a good forward pass himself. When England play Lampard and Gerrard in the middle they both end up bombing forward leaving the full backs and wingers as the main out balls.

Theres a bit of lumping goin on all right however I wonder if thats something which the manager is advising them to do (based on Heskeys "Skills")
    That being said I've seen Terry and Carra manage basic passes to midfield players and again dont think its that big a deal.

Lukker- wrote: »
    Well I was talking about how he is picking Upson who really had a dreadful dreadful season over Dawson who has been nearly faultless all season.

a player who has probably never played with terry as a partner and has around 45 mins of international football

a WC crunch game is not the place to blood a new centre half
    Theres a bit of lumping goin on all right however I wonder if thats something which the manager is advising them to do (based on Heskeys "Skills")
    That being said I've seen Terry and Carra manage basic passes to midfield players and again dont think its that big a deal.

rio would make a massive difference. its not as simple as just passing it to the midfielders, its making space for them, choosing the right ball etc

im not saying that is the only thing thats wrong but it does make a difference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Sven was slated for playing Rooney on his own up front when they went out to Portugal last time.

Capello is slated for partnering Rooney with someone.

Schteeve Mac was slated for being to informal with 'JT' and the other players.

Capello is now being slated (after being lauded during qualifiers) for his formal businesslike approach.

For one reason or another the English players are bottling it. The fact that they are doing so one the big stage having had a very successful qualifying leads me to believe that it's not Fabio's management that's making them play this way.

gosplan wrote: »
    Sven was slated for playing Rooney on his own up front when they went out to Portugal last time.

Capello is slated for partnering Rooney with someone.

Schteeve Mac was slated for being to informal with 'JT' and the other players.

Capello is now being slated (after being lauded during qualifiers) for his formal businesslike approach.

For one reason or another the English players are bottling it. The fact that they are doing so one the big stage having had a very successful qualifying leads me to believe that it's not Fabio's management that's making them play this way.
    There was a very good letter in F365 on it today:
    Dear UK Media,

You may have noticed that a rather highly paid squad of English professionals seem to have problems motivating themselves to play above the level of football seen in school yards around the country. This same bunch of individuals have been 'trying' to win tournaments since 2002, they have had 3 different managers. The first was a man who gave them great freedom, allowed them to frolick around with their wives, and have a few beers here and there, he made them feel at home. The outcome? They played crap, did not win nothing and this manager had to go.

The second manager was a man who was pally/chummy with the players, he was their best friend, he made them feel like they were brothers. The outcome? The players failed to qualify for a major tournament, he was fired and went onto bigger and better things as illustrated by his recent trophy haul.

Finally the third manager, a strict disciplinarian and tactician who has overseen a league title at ever single club he's managed, including putting together a magnificent Milan team, one for the ages, which overawed the stars of Barcelona 4-0 in a CL final a decade or so ago. He led these players to a spectacular qualifying campaign which they romped through beating rivals who have previously embarrassed them. Outcome? Apparently the manager is not good enough and the World Cup dream is in tatters.

Now as we all know from Mediawatch, the journalists in this country are not exactly the smartest, but hold power way beyond their intelligence (the media reminds me of Idiocracy, yes that movie, full of idiots). Now there is one common thing during the three managers reigns, this so-called 'Golden Generation' that have failed to perform again and again and again. Wake up and smell the coffee people of this great land, our players are not good enough, it's not the manager, it's not the altitude, it's not that bloody ball, but it's Mr Rooney, Mr JT, Mr Stevie, Lamps et al. One of the best managers around and he can't even get them to perform, nevermind Tord Grip's comments the other day that Sven could not get the England team to pass the ball like how they do everywhere else! It's absolutely despicable for Capello to be taking the flak for a bunch of failures.
    Ash Asani, London UK
    I think it's relevant.

At this stage of the game it looks like fear/pressure has gotten to the players.
    They were playing okay up until Rob Green made that mistake and got torn apart for it.
    Not of them wanted to be the next Rob Green and instead of stepping upto the mark, they stepped back.
    Glenn Hoddle required for a bit of mind magic......... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

They were playing okay up until Rob Green made that mistake and got torn apart for it.

what game were you watching? they werent even ok, even after Gerrards goals i thought they may get some confidence but they didnt at all...

what game were you watching? they werent even ok, even after Gerrards goals i thought they may get some confidence but they didnt at all...

I was speaking about the games they had played in the qualifying campagn up until that point and in fairness they were playing okay - ie Gerrard scored a decent goal, in that match as well.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

The USA game wasn't even a major problem. USA aren't pushovers, and if they hadn't conceded such a soft goal, nobody would have been complaining. But that one mistake was jumped on and the whole team's confidence was hammered to pieces. Ridiculous, because a 1-1 with the USA was by no means a disaster.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

The USA game wasn't even a major problem. USA aren't pushovers, and if they hadn't conceded such a soft goal, nobody would have been complaining. But that one mistake was jumped on and the whole team's confidence was hammered to pieces. Ridiculous, because a 1-1 with the USA was by no means a disaster.

Exactly, we are by no means a great team, but were not too bad either. We're very light in a few positions, up front mainly but we always play as a team. We're well organised. I though we actually had a chance of beating England because it was the first games and the English media had completely over-hyped England's chance with the whole "Easy" thing and even they were expecting to walk us. 3,4 nil.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Indeed, and you're responsible for a healthy slice of it.

Defending Heskey (it was 24 minutes I believe before he passed to an English shirt the other night), calling for Rooney (the nation's best player and proven match winner) to be dropped for a crucial game, and discrediting Scott Parker who had a superb season.

Nonsense indeed
    Go on then, tell me why you would stick with Rooney? And take into account his two games to date and how he has looked.

Go on then, tell me why you would stick with Rooney? And take into account his two games to date and how he has looked.

Because, if utilised correctly, he can change a game in an instant.

And when I say utilised correctly, I mean not paired up front with an unpredictable donkey who doesn't even start at club level.

Rooney led the line superbly for United last season and could do the same for England if Capello adopted a Fergie-like system. He has the players to do it, and England would thrive imo if it were implemented.

The key is not to have Gerrard on the left. He can play off Rooney in a withdrawn role as he has done with Torres. Sure, one could argue that him and Lampard will occupy the same space, but the system at least would play to their strengths rather than present imbalance on the wings.

If I were picking the team for the next game all things considered it would be -

James

Johnson
    Upson
    Terry
    Cole

Barry

Gerrard
    Lampard

Lennon
    Cole

Rooney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

So what you're saying is that when playing with some other guy Rooney can't control the ball and looks like me after having eaten a dozen Hot Dogs and Gerrard is useless when playing 'on the left' but when left alone Rooney would miraculously transform himself into that world class player again who knocks them in left, right & center and Gerrard and would do the same if only he would be allowed to come from somewhere else but from the left?

Isn't that like saying Michael Schuhmacher is totally useless if he's wearing a blue helmet but give him a red one and he can't be stopped?

Boskowski wrote: »

Isn't that like saying Michael Schuhmacher is totally useless if he's wearing a blue helmet but give him a red one and he can't be stopped?
    Not really,
    Its like saying put Michael Schuhmacher in a Mercedes and he'll be well behind, stick him in a Ferrari and he'll win stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Souness had an interesting theory as to why they aren't playing well - all to do with their training. He reckons that they shouldn't be training at altitude as it takes far too much out of them and that sides like USA and others didn't train at altitude. In a way he could be right, look at Lampard the last game against Algeria - was puffing and panting after 25 mins or so.

On the Capello side of things, it really is a mind**** of a job and apart from the money, I really don't know why any manager would leave a top club/country to manage them. Unless Capello reaches the last four, it's deemed as failure and he'll be savaged in the press for being inept. We're talking about one of the most decorated coaches in football. Funny how McClaren has been massively successful before and after England, Capello the same, Sven before moreso than after among others who have been ridiculed by the press.

Don't think England and the media will ever accept that it's not the coach, it's the players that aren't technically good enough. If you look at the side in 1996 and in 1990 - they had technically gifted players at that time. Barnes, Gazza, Waddle, Sheringham even the likes of Platt and Redknapp were excellent on the ball and able to control possession. This side seems to have players who are excellent on quick breaks downfield with players like Gerrard and Lennon bombing forward - which against sides like Algeria and USA is not good enough.

Boskowski wrote: »
    So what you're saying is that when playing with some other guy Rooney can't control the ball and looks like me after having eaten a dozen Hot Dogs and Gerrard is useless when playing 'on the left' but when left alone Rooney would miraculously transform himself into that world class player again who knocks them in left, right & center and Gerrard and would do the same if only he would be allowed to come from somewhere else but from the left?

1. Form is temporary and all that. Who is more of a game winner, Rooney or Heskey? The suggestion of dropping Rooney is ludicrous. You can either do that or play a system that he has excelled in all year, while also correcting the lobsided team. Bit of a no brainer.

2. Gerrard coming in from the left isn't the problem. It's the gap left out wide when he does. The team isn't balanced. I'd have thought that was obvious to even the most casual of observer.

No, not in the slightest.

See other better analogy posted above.

only thing about that Xavi is the team was perfectly balanced in qualifying, when the exact same system is used.

there is no way he will drastically change the system he has used for the last 2 years a few days before the most important game he's had. if it doesnt work he'll be villified for going with an unfamiliar system etc

i take your point that they should accomodate rooney but there is still no excuse for his performances so far, he has been shocking.

he should keep the same system but drop lampard and bring in cole. move gerrard into the middle beside barry and have cole on the wing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Xavi6 wrote: »
    1. Form is temporary and all that. Who is more of a game winner, Rooney or Heskey? The suggestion of dropping Rooney is ludicrous. You can either do that or play a system that he has excelled in all year, while also correcting the lobsided team. Bit of a no brainer.

2. Gerrard coming in from the left isn't the problem. It's the gap left out wide when he does. The team isn't balanced. I'd have thought that was obvious to even the most casual of observer.

No, not in the slightest.

See other better analogy posted above.

I hear you and I don't agree with the Ferrari, Mercedes analogy in the slightest. I find it crazy that such relatively slight adjustments should have such a big influence whether someone behaves like a world class player or a donkey.

Such adjustments will make the difference between a team running like a well oiled machine or somewhat stuttering, but it cannot transform individual players from useless to greatness.

And yes I would have taken Rooney off in the Algeria game, he seemed lacklustre and moody and generally transpired the idea of couldn't be arsed.

There is far more wrong with the England setup than the formation on the pitch.

• Advertisement

event wrote: »
    only thing about that Xavi is the team was perfectly balanced in qualifying, when the exact same system is used.

there is no way he will drastically change the system he has used for the last 2 years a few days before the most important game he's had. if it doesnt work he'll be villified for going with an unfamiliar system etc

i take your point that they should accomodate rooney but there is still no excuse for his performances so far, he has been shocking.

he should keep the same system but drop lampard and bring in cole. move gerrard into the middle beside barry and have cole on the wing.

But that still leaves Heskey in the side, and he is part of the problem, not the solution imo.

Advertisement