Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Capello

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Xavi6 wrote: »
    But that still leaves Heskey in the side, and he is part of the problem, not the solution imo.

you could replace him with crouch if needed

but rooney himself has said that heskey is the forward he prefers to play alongside for england.

personally i think heskey has done ok, i dont think he's been as bad as lampard or rooney. i wouldnt be thinking about dropping rooney though, thats madness.

but i do think its the players attitude that needs to change. hearing terry the other day, they need to be told who's boss

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

event wrote: »
    you could replace him with crouch if needed

but rooney himself has said that heskey is the forward he prefers to play alongside for england.

but i do think its the players attitude that needs to change. hearing terry the other day, they need to be told who's boss

So really, what Rooney thinks shouldn't matter a damn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Fabio Capellpo said on ITV that John Terry made "a big mistake" with some of what he said at yesterday's press conference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Capello said in an ITV interview there that Upson will be starting, ok we knew that already, but he also mentioned that there could be 1 or 2 other changes. Suppose it will remain to be seen what these might be.

Other than that he said that Terry made a big mistake in what he said to the press yesterday. He seems a bit annoyed, but conducted himself well,

http://www.itv.com/sport/football/fifaworldcup/news/capellolaysdownthelawtoterry/

There is a small article on it there, but you can't watch the video unless you are in the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You can imagine his accent getting slightly more "mafiaesque" when he said that.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    You can imagine his accent getting slightly more "mafiaesque" when he said that.

Yeah :) i hope so anyways......

I got the impression Terry might have been dropped after that if it wasn't for Ferdinand, King and Carragher missing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

But that still leaves Heskey in the side, and he is part of the problem, not the solution imo.
    I wouldn't leave Heskey in the side. If Rooney goes Heskey goes with him, bring in Crouch and Defoe.

If Rooney is still in the same state as he was in before the last game there is no way I'd start him. This thing about him being able to turn a game at anytime is partly true. When he is running around the pitch and he is playing well he can turn a game at any second but Rooney is not the type of character that just suddenly turns it on or off. When Rooney is this far off his game he is not going to do anything. He is not the clinical finisher type either, he is like Drogba in that they work hard and make themselves more chances and score more goals as a result. Defoe wouldn't be nearly as hard working as Rooney but he is far more clinical.

If Rooney has shown improved energy and looks ready to give a good showing then of course you start him but if he is in the same form and condition that he has been so far in this World Cup he has to be dropped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

wings.

If I were picking the team for the next game all things considered it would be -

James

Johnson
    Upson
    Terry
    Cole

Barry

Gerrard
    Lampard

Lennon
    Cole

Rooney

I honestly think this is what Capello is going to do for the next game, or at least I agree he should

It appears that English players cannot or don't like to adapt to unfamiliar positions so play them in the positions they are in regularly in their clubs and you might get more success and it might sort out their moodiness if they fell more comfortable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Taxi for Capello.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,682 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

he's gone and he deserves it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Failed to sort out the midfield. No keeper as first choice. No real consistency with the starting line up.

Deserves to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

They were shown up today. Shows that a basic 4-4-2 is dead and buried. German'y 4-2-3-1 was so much more fluid and it's so much easier to to know who should be covering who/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Is he though? Thought he signed a new contract prior to the WC. Would cost a fortune to get rid of him...... unless he walks which is also a possibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Degag wrote: »
    Is he though? Thought he signed a new contract prior to the WC. Would cost a fortune to get rid of him...... unless he walks which is also a possibility.

He'll definitely resign IMO. He doesn't want to rebuild at his age. England need a new coach, new players and new beliefs..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Lukker- wrote: »
    He'll definitely resign IMO. He doesn't want to rebuild at his age. England need a new coach, new players and new beliefs..

Yeah, i think you're right. Can't see him staying on.

Odds on Hodgson?

EDIT:// 3/1 Meh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

I can not see Capello staying, far too much effort is needed to reinvent this side. Plus I say he sick of the egos of some of the players.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

He'll have to go now.

He said England played well repeatedly in the post match interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I reckon Capello will resign. I hope Hodgson doesn't get the job as he's a gentleman and I wouldn't want to see the media slaughtering him, which would happen at some point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Why did he sign a two-year extension? Had he not got the extension;
    If they did well he'd be kept on anyway,
    If they did crap he wouldn't get an extension.

Don't see why he'd resign, let them sack him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,682 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

just on ssn there capello says he wont be resigning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Capello's not a bad manager, but when you look closely at his CV, it reads AC Milan, Real Madrid, AC Milan again.

Basically, the only clubs he has ever managed are ones with deep, deep pockets, who at any given time can buy or sell pretty much anyone they want. There is no against-all-odds like story with Capello here, like Mourinho with Porto, or Fergie at Aberdeen all those years ago.

Question is, was he worth all that lucre in the first place? I, myself, have had doubts for a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

:rolleyes:

Ever think that maybe England just don't have enough world class players in the right positions at present. They had a decent team in 1990 and they were close enough to winning it. Now, however, they have a good few donkeys in their squad, some of whom I wouldn't even get in the Ireland squad, lol

Capello's not a bad manager, but when you look closely at his CV, it reads AC Milan, Real Madrid, AC Milan again.

Basically, the only clubs he has ever managed are ones with deep, deep pockets, who at any given time can buy or sell pretty much anyone they want. There is no against-all-odds like story with Capello here, like Mourinho with Porto, or Fergie at Aberdeen all those years ago.

Question is, was he worth all that lucre in the first place? I, myself, have had doubts for a long time.

Oh ffs, is this the Alex Ferguson appreciation society round here? He did well at Aberdeen, but let's not lose the run of ourselves, European football was very different back then. Capello is certainly in the same class as Fergie.

Aberdeen were never an 'elite' club within their own country, nevermind Europe, until his appointment.

Even when he took over at Old Trafford, the days of Manchester United being a huge force in English football had long gone, and it was all about the Merseyside clubs in the 80s. (I think 8 league titles between them in that decade - correct me if wrong)

Manchester United were transformed in the 90s, while Liverpool and Everton were also rans for the best part of the decade.

Capello has never in his managerial career taken on one challenge like that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

:rolleyes:
    They had a decent team in 1990 and they were close enough to winning it.

... and that 1990 team wasn't even that good imho. Most people seem to forget that seven matches they only managed to win 1 game inside 90mins. I don't think they were close at all (performance wise I mean) and imho probably would have conspired to lose the final somehow anyway against Argentina.

For me anyway the Euro 96 England team is the best I've seen. They had a style and confidence to them. It's the only time I can recall supporting an England team. I seem to remember them even passing the ball a bit and trying to control games rather than just huff and puff over the line! :eek: Their 4-1 against Holland still probably the best I've ever seen them play. It's a pity that team always gets forgotten about in favour of the 1990 one.

Also, this 'golden generation' nonsense, proved to be, well nonsense.

Recent tournaments reads:

2004: QUARTER-FINAL
    2006: QUARTER-FINAL
    2008: DID NOT QUALIFY
    2010: SECOND ROUND

Blame the media a fair bit for given them that tag!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

Capello is considering his position...According to SSN.

He'll be gone by the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

Also, this 'golden generation' nonsense, proved to be, well nonsense.

Recent tournaments reads:

2004: QUARTER-FINAL
    2006: QUARTER-FINAL
    2008: DID NOT QUALIFY
    2010: SECOND ROUND

Blame the media a fair bit for given them that tag!

agreed, Golden Generation my bollix tbh

For as long as I can remember England have had great individual players. While the game has changed immeasurably since the 80s and 90s, for the times that were in it, players like Keegan, Lineker, Robson, Butcher, Adams were every bit as good as the so called golden generation of today.

You can use the Golden Generation tag for countries like ourselves or Portugal for example. Countries who on average produce a handful of really really top players every 10 years. In our case your going back to the days of Euro 88, Brady et al. Portugal with Figo and such. (in fairness the Portugeuse have pushed on a lot, but hopefully you can see my point).

Countries like England, Germany, Spain, turn out many more top class players over say a ten year period, so to my mind the Golden Generation tag is totally out of place for such teams. As i see it, teams such as those, have a pretty much constant spread of top players over a prolonged period of time.

Capello spoke with the FA this morning,

He wants to stay on, but they have told him they need 2 weeks to decide,

Press conference on Sky Sports News now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

He is clever enough to wait to be sacked and take the money. If he resigns, he wouldn't get that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

FA are going to create a media ****storm with this 2-week nonsense. They need to draw a line under it, or at least keep these kind of deadlines out of the public.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

FA are going to create a media ****storm with this 2-week nonsense. They need to draw a line under it, or at least keep these kind of deadlines out of the public.

What's going to change in two weeks? Bizarre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

that's him sacked.

what a joke that organisation is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,566 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

lordgoat wrote: »
    They will know who has won the World Cup, and will probably throw buckets of money at that team's manager to try and get him to manage England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭rubensni

SlickRic wrote: »
    that's him sacked.

what a joke that organisation is.

+1

The FA will do whatever the tabloids tell them to do, and since they'll be looking for a scapegoat Capello is about to find his head on a platter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,467 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

lordgoat wrote: »

they might want time to look at what happened, what went wrong, get some feedback from staff involved, reflect on everything, then come to a calm and collected decision.

But you are right, they should sack him or back him less than 24 hours after the 4-1 drubbing.

• Advertisement

rubensni wrote: »
    +1

.......Capello is about to find his head on a platter.

while Fabio will blame disallowed goal on Blatter
    Media will say it's an excuse that doesn't matter
    Capello will walk with his bank made fatter.

Sorry....just can't resist a silly poem.:D

they might want time to look at what happened, what went wrong, get some feedback from staff involved, reflect on everything, then come to a calm and collected decision.

But you are right, they should sack him or back him less than 24 hours after the 4-1 drubbing.

But surely announcing this 2-week stay of execution is counter-productive? It makes sense to take stock and have some quiet reflection, but instead the next two weeks will see Capello hounded out of the job by the media and every half-decent English manager interviewed and quizzed about the job. Total farce.

All they had to say was that they had already backed him before the tournament started and that their position hadn't changed. End of. Then they'd have all the time in the world to analyse things, without the full glare of the media spotlight.

But surely announcing this 2-week stay of execution is counter-productive? It makes sense to take stock and have some quiet reflection, but instead the next two weeks will see Capello hounded out of the job by the media and every half-decent English manager interviewed and quizzed about the job. Total farce.

All they had to say was that they had already backed him before the tournament started and that their position hadn't changed. End of. Then they'd have all the time in the world to analyse things, without the full glare of the media spotlight.

So, they say today they are backing him, and two weeks later they sack him. That would be great - and the media wouldn't go to town on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

I see 'Arry has thrown his cap into the ring for the job. Doesn't miss a trick that boyo does he.

If the FA want rid of him, they would rather he walked than have to pay the full amount he would be due,

2 weeks of the media on his back should be enough for him to commit suicide never mind resign!

• Advertisement

So, they say today they are backing him, and two weeks later they sack him. That would be great - and the media wouldn't go to town on them.

Yes, and now they will call for an English manager to be given the job.

I really don't know why they going on about that.

Their last English manager, McClaren was a disaster.

The nationality should be irrelevant, they need more than just a good manager. The whole structure of football & coaching from a youth level has to change. I think, they are looking at at least another 10 years of England not doing well in tournaments. Need to put new methods in place with the youngsters of today and that will take years to pay off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Capello is going to get a handsome payoff. Not the worst couple of years of his life to be fair. Earned a fortune and spent his time living in a city that by all accounts he liked immensely (spent his time going to galleries / cultural festivals / etc). Well played sir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Bill O' Herlihy: Do you think England should have an English manager?

Ossie Ardilles: Irrelevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Roma, a team who had only won 2 leagues in their history

he won a league with them, so thats that theory out the window

fair enough if you dont like him or think he's good enough, but to discount his achievements is a silly point IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

Of the last 8 England managers, 5 have won major trophies in their club careers (Robson, Venables, Sven, McLaren & Capello) while of the remaining 3, 2 (Keegan & Taylor) have been successful in getting sides promoted from the second tier and had decent careers in club mgt. All however have failed in the England job. Now im not saying all of these were great managers, but if that many people have failed at England having been successful eleswhere it does suggest the problem is not with the manager.IMO, replacing the manager wont fix anything, its clear that there is something very wrong in the FA. Im reading David Davis's book at the moment, 'FA Confidential' and this bull of needing 2 week to decide on Capello seems typical of the sort of thing that goes on in the FA. Unless thing get overhauled there,I dont see how their national team will ever reach their potential

They don't have to say they're backing him. They don't have to say anything. "Position unchanged." They can then decide to sack him 2 weeks down the line, knowing that they've made a decision without being influenced by a media ****storm.

By putting up this deadline and saying that his future is going to be decided within two weeks is to invite unnecessary media attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

guys, the manager of that football team could be Shankly, Ramsey, Paisley, Busby, Stein, Beckenbauer and Ferguson all rolled into one and it wouldn't make a jot of difference.

it's the grass roots coaching, alligned with the lack of coaches getting qualified that is the problem.

kids don't get given the time to get technically good enough to compete with other nationalities. this isn't a new issue. it's been flagged and discussed umpteen times, and we see the fruits of it fully every two-four years.

a scapegoat is easier for the FA though.

They don't have to say they're backing him. They don't have to say anything. "Position unchanged." They can then decide to sack him 2 weeks down the line, knowing that they've made a decision without being influenced by a media ****storm.

By putting up this deadline and saying that his future is going to be decided within two weeks is to invite unnecessary media attention.

If they backed him before the WC, and then state their position is unchanged, that means they are stating they are backing him.

They should not have put a time limit on it - should have just said there would be an internal review as there is at the end of every season and no comment will be made until that is completed (which amounts to the same thing but done more diplomatically)

Basically, without firing him there were only two options.

1. Publically back him and stick with him.
    2. Say nothing at all.

1 - would have resulted in a farce if they sacked him 2 weeks/1 month down the line.
    2 - would have done nothing to stop the media hounding the issue until something concrete is said, and if they did decide to fire him in two weeks it would still be seen as caving to media pressure.

SlickRic wrote: »
    guys, the manager of that football team could be Shankly, Ramsey, Paisley, Busby, Stein, Beckenbauer and Ferguson all rolled into one and it wouldn't make a jot of difference.

it's the grass roots coaching, alligned with the lack of coaches getting qualified that is the problem.

kids don't get given the time to get technically good enough to compete with other nationalities. this isn't a new issue. it's been flagged and discussed umpteen times, and we see the fruits of it fully every two-four years.

a scapegoat is easier for the FA though.

Undoubtedly that plays a large part of it, but that doesn't get away from the fact that this team hugely underperformed in the tournament. A team with Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney, Terry etc etc should be good enough to comfortably beat USA, Algeria and Slovenia.

It's a two part problem. Sort out the coaching and development on a national level, and sort out the coaching and motivation for the national team itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭thebullkf

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement