Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social work masters

Options
  • 19-06-2010 11:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hi I hope someone can help me.

I’m currently doing a level 7 degree in social care. I want to do a masters in social work in order to be a social worker. So dose anyone know if I can do the masters course with my level 7 degree or do I have to do an extra year in order to get a level 8.

Is it too late to e mail the colleges directly?

I hope I have posted this in the right place.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Hi Happyfeet 22..

You will need a Level 8 degree to get into any social work masters programme in the country and the same abroad. It is a competitive field and people on the courses will all have that Level 8 degree in Social Care/Science/Studies (or a Sociology and Psychology related degree in some universities).

So focus on doing that extra year before applying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭happyfeet22

I thought that, it’s just the thought of having five more years to do. I was hoping that a level 7 plus a few years work experience would be enough.

I’m starting voluntary work at the end of July in order to gain experience and find which area I want to work in. So by the time I apply for the masters I plan on having experience working in a few different settings which I hope will help.

How competitive is it to get onto any of the courses? Do you know what percentage of applicants get accepted

Well I can only really speak directly for the Galway course but know other people on the other courses in Cork, Trinity and UCD. Everyone has at least a level 8 degree in the relevant areas, some will have counselling extras etc. You must have over a certain amount of hours/experience in social care (If I were you I would check with the colleges themselves and ask them for specifics on how many hours and what qualifies as appropriate work).

In my class, backgrounds were disability/drug and substance misuse/aquired brain injury/some nursing home work/youth work and county councils.

To get on the courses, it is competitive. Generally if you pass the basic requirements (qualifications, experience, personal statement, two to three references, academic and work related) you will get an interview. Many people will have applied the year before and failed, so reapply and say what they have done in the past year to increase their chances.

In my year (2008) there were 125 people who got to interview stage with 17 people being offered. This year 2010, the figures had a tougher ratio. In other colleges I imagine it to be quite similar but possibly have a better chanve, with Cork offering 50+ places and UCD similar.

How is it that you would have to do 5 more years? (you mentioned that in your post) Your undergrad would be 4 years, plus the MA is two..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭happyfeet22

I’m going to e mail the colleges directly and ask them for their individual course requirements. That way I will know what they are looking for and be I’ll be able to make sure that my work experience counts.

17 out of 125 is scary I didn’t think it would be that competitive.

Oh the five years is, 2 more in the level 7 (I’ve just finished first year)
    1 year add on for level 8 followed by 2 year masters. Then I will hopefully be a fully qualified social worker.

See how you are after the degree. I know most of the girls and guys on the course needed some time out after the degree just to travel and relax or gain experience and so most people in my course (again galway only specs here!) were aged 25 plus. I had taken 5 years of a break:-D. Best of luck tho in what you choose and I def recommen emailing the colleges directly for their specifications.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Catzz

Hi. I was wondering about the BA Social Care course in NUI Galway. It is done through distance learning. It is a level 8 degree course. Is this a fully accreditated course. Someone i know that works with people with an intellectual disability said it wasn't a recognised course. Does anyone know about this.

It is a recognised course. I did one year of it while waiting to get into the social work masters, because it was part time (which meant one eve a month) and because it was during the era when you could get courses paid for :)

The majority of disabilty service providers these days will not emply people without some kind of social studies/care/science degree or a pre-nursing cert, whatever. On my course alone, most of the students were already working in the social care field, had gotten jobs there before that requirement came in and were now be encouraged to go back and train (even though some would have had over twenty years field experience). I had 7 years experience in intellectual disability.

You can do one year, which is the cert, and each year you pass, you get elevated to the diploma, degree etc. First year is pretty handy; you look at Health and Wellbeing, Basic Anatomy, Basic Personal Care and Social Policy. You must also attend a weekend event in the college (a Saturday and a Sunday where a conference is held on either vulnerable adults or some other relevant field). When I did it you just had to write essays for each module with one module having a tick box exam. You will also carry out a short placement in an organisation, maybe Rehab or Simon or Brothers of Charity, where ever, and complete a project on that.

I have a friend who is now in the final year (fourth) and found it very do able. Things may have changed a little but it still counts as a recognised course. Any further questions you should clarify them with the Health Promotion Department (they host the course).

Only bad thing: ridiculously overpriced, so see about getting a grant if you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

How is it that you would have to do 5 more years? (you mentioned that in your post) Your undergrad would be 4 years, plus the MA is two..

I don't really understand what Level 7 and Level 8 means? Do you have an undergraduate degree in Social care?

Another avenue for you is to do the Higher diploma in Social policy in UCC or UCD. I'm starting it in September.Its very competitive to get into in UCC but I dont think its as bad in UCD. They may even still have places available If you email. I think this h,dip will ensure you are academically qualified for entry to the masters in social work.

panda100 wrote: »
    I don't really understand what Level 7 and Level 8 means? Do you have an undergraduate degree in Social care?

Another avenue for you is to do the Higher diploma in Social policy in UCC or UCD. I'm starting it in September.Its very competitive to get into in UCC but I dont think its as bad in UCD. They may even still have places available If you email. I think this h,dip will ensure you are academically qualified for entry to the masters in social work.

That is true, it will bring you up to speed on being sufficiently qualified. But just remember it won't guarantee admission to the MSW.

EDIT: Sorry Panda, I'm confused; were you talking to me or to Catz regarding the levels? Social care and social work..very different courses..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

That is true, it will bring you up to speed on being sufficiently qualified. But just remember it won't guarantee admission to the MSW.

Oh yeah forgot to say that,doing the H.dip in social policy won't guarantee you a place on the masters in social work.
    http://www.ucd.ie/appsocsc/postgraduate/hdip_socpol.htm
    EDIT: Sorry Panda, I'm confused; were you talking to me or to Catz regarding the levels? Social care and social work..very different courses..

I was asking either? Does a level 7 mean you have an undergraduate degree in social care? Wouldn't this qualify you to apply for the masters in social work? What is the difference between social care and social work, are they not very similar?

Oh and Thanks LadyMayBeller for all the advice on the Social work masters,its very helpful :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Catzz

I rang NUI Galway about the BA in Social Care through distance learning. This course is recognised course by the college but it is not an accreditated course. They are in the process of trying to get it registerd but there is no guarantee that it will get accreditation and they said it could take a few years. I would love to do the course as it would suit me with work, but don't fancy paying out all that money if it is not accreditated.

Thanks Catzz and my apologies for saying it was recognised!!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭andylennon11

I am looking for advice on NUI social work masters. I am wondering if anyone can give me advise on the type of questions that are asked in the interview??I dont know how to prepare for it so any help would be appreciated ,Thanks

Hi Andy
    there is a wealth of threads on this from past and present students, here is a start:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056372106

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055897957

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Moah

Andy,

Having an idea of some of the past questions can be extremely helpful and beneficial but it's not certain that the same or similar questions will come up this year. From my own experience of the interview process (NUIG) they like people to be genuine and answer as naturally as possible. Best prep you can do is perhaps read up on some of the current issues in relation to social work eg. mandatory reporting, mental health etc. Barnardos frequently put up links for good documents and articles on their facebook page - these might give you some insight. The interviewers in NUIG are genuinely lovely and will do their best to put you at ease. My best advice though is to be yourself and let your personality shine through!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 k_t11

hey! I just started an MA in scotland.

You definitely need the level 8. All social work masters require a 2H2. A level 7 is an ordinary level degree so it wouldnt be enough.

If you are in a university doing the course you could look at changing into a level 8 course now. I did Early Childhood in UCC and they allowed ECS level 7 in in 3rd year as long as they had the required points (375-390). its definitely something you should look at.

I think the masters in Ireland are alot more limited then 50 im pretty sure the numbers are about 20.

I paid 45e per University.... did not even get a correspondance.

You should keep your options open look at the UK/Scotland. Fees are covered and you get money towards travel expenses and as well as that you can do your placements in Ireland. I start placement at home next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 chrissy101

k_t11 wrote: »
    hey! I just started an MA in scotland.

You definitely need the level 8. All social work masters require a 2H2. A level 7 is an ordinary level degree so it wouldnt be enough.

If you are in a university doing the course you could look at changing into a level 8 course now. I did Early Childhood in UCC and they allowed ECS level 7 in in 3rd year as long as they had the required points (375-390). its definitely something you should look at.

I think the masters in Ireland are alot more limited then 50 im pretty sure the numbers are about 20.

I paid 45e per University.... did not even get a correspondance.

You should keep your options open look at the UK/Scotland. Fees are covered and you get money towards travel expenses and as well as that you can do your placements in Ireland. I start placement at home next month.

Hi!

I was wondering K_t11 if I could PM u, I'm starting a ma in scotland in sept was just wondering if i could ask you a few questions re: fees etc?

Would really appreciate it,

Chrissy

• Registered Users Posts: 24 k_t11

Hi Chrissy,

Course you can, would be happy to send u in the right direction

Advertisement