Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to dump a couch

Options
  • 19-06-2010 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭

I am just wondering what I can do with an old couch I have. Its too tatty to give to charity and I need to get rid of it some way.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Beanies girl

the only thing you can really do is take it to the dump?, either that or take the upholstry off it and bin it and chop up the wood

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Steve30x

Thank you. Ive never had to dump a couch before so I dont know what to do with it. Its taking up space in my sitting room so I have to get rid of it. I will tear it appart tomorrow then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Beanies girl

no problem. it only came to me the other say my mother in law has a three piece she has to get rid of and that was what i came up with

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭MaxCharlie

apparently their is a furniture recycling place in carrick - a person i know bought a couch from a furniture shop in mooncoin and they took away here old couch, and said that they would send it to carrick - i don't have a name though sorry -

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

hang on to it until halloween & give it to the youngsters for a bonfire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,466 ✭✭✭✭looksee

comeraghs wrote: »
    hang on to it until halloween & give it to the youngsters for a bonfire

:eek:

Its true about taking it apart though, we had to do that, and although there was a lot of material/filling etc to get rid of, at least it was manageable.

Im not sure about giving it to the kids for halloween I might get into trouble for that. I will tear it apart during the weekend and put the upholstery into the bin in a big black bag or two. Any woodwork thats any good I will save it because I need to build a TV unit soon.

Check the timber before you save it, a lot of the carcass wood is rock hard and impossible to work.

Sorry for the silly questions , but I have no clue how to dump this couch. Its the recycle bags I put the upholstery in right? Also I gopt some recycling bags from my sister which say they dont need tags on them , but I only got my bins last week so will need to put tags on the bags even though the bag they come say they dont need tags. I didnt get that 320 euro deal. I only paid 65 euro for the bins. I am not sure about the costs of the bins and where to get the TAGS etc. I havent disasembled the couch yet but I will put the cushions and arm rests in bags tonight. I will do the rest tomorrow.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Steve30x wrote: »
    Sorry for the silly questions , but I have no clue how to dump this couch. Its the recycle bags I put the upholstery in right? Also I gopt some recycling bags from my sister which say they dont need tags on them , but I only got my bins last week so will need to put tags on the bags even though the bag they come say they dont need tags. I didnt get that 320 euro deal. I only paid 65 euro for the bins. I am not sure about the costs of the bins and where to get the TAGS etc. I havent disasembled the couch yet but I will put the cushions and arm rests in bags tonight. I will do the rest tomorrow.
    You don't need tags for the recycling bags. The cost of collecting the bags is included in the price of the bags €2.50 I think. Makes no difference which deal you are on. Each bag costs €2.50 and if you have one it is already paid for so no need to tag them.

• Advertisement

No, upholstery doesn't go in recycling bins, just in the rubbish.

looksee wrote: »
    No, upholstery doesn't go in recycling bins, just in the rubbish.

As in the green bin? The bags say textiles on the bags which I thought was the cushions etc from the couch.

Oh ok, thats different to ours, we are not supposed to put textiles in. In that case its the fabric from the cushions that can go in.

If the cushions are that good quality dense foam you can very easily make a nice footstool by cutting square sections from two or three of them and cover with fabric. I have just done one, I made a wheeled base but you could just make a cube shape - you need to glue the layers together but any glue pretty well will do it. Its very expensive foam, its a pity to waste it. I also have the back cushions which are 'bags' of foam pieces which I intend to rebag and make into large cushions...eventually :D

Its the green bin the cushions go into. My green bin is full with the cushions so I will have to wait to dump the rest. It was suggested to put the cushions into bags but theyre too big for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Mia belle

The clothes bank in Tesco will accept clean textiles. I put in lots of sheets the other day. You could recycle some of the material that way. You can't drop in the foam but most of the material would get used again.

Advertisement