Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Céili in Dublin on a Saturday night?!

Options
  • 19-06-2010 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭

Hey - quick query. Where would you send a bunch of people, tourists.., who want to try their hand at a bit of dancing and enjoy some traditional Irish music on a Saturday night? Must be disabled friendly and children friendly too.. if possible!

I have heard of a place on Talbott St. but can't find anything, plus theres the Cobblestone. Though on a Saturday I'm not sure if the Cobblestone does live music?

Has anyone been to one they can recommend?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

There's bound to be some shite touristy ceili around Temple Bar; especially somewhere like Oliver St John Gogartys, they've regularly got music on.

You'd be better off asking in the Trad forum though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

brummytom wrote: »
    There's bound to be some shite touristy ceili around Temple Bar; especially somewhere like Oliver St John Gogartys, they've regularly got music on.

A ceili in the Oliver St John. What a frightening prospect

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

orourkeda wrote: »
    A ceili in the Oliver St John. What a frightening prospect

They're here on a Conference, so I'd rather something more organised than telling them to wander into Templebar! The Arlington Hotel do a dinner and show.. as does the Merry Ploughman in Rathfarnham - kind of more along the lines I need!

I'd post in Trad Forum but I need to know asap, just hoping someone has gone to one they can recommend!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Send then knacker drinking with a crate of dutch mould in a field somewhere

A distinctly Irish expierence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Abrasax

The Vat House, Temple Bar.
    That hotel along the Quays, beside Zanzibar, the Arlington is it?
    There's a B'n'B o the corner of Talbot St. and Gardiner St.
    There's another place on Talbot St., diagonally opposite, the Celtic bar or something.

• Advertisement

There are plenty of boozers around Dublin that do live traditional music but the dancing has me stumped somewhat.

Dutch mould and a few locals and they'd have a right ol' party on the boardwalk sure!

Abrasax wrote: »
    The Vat House, Temple Bar.
    That hotel along the Quays, beside Zanzibar, the Arlington is it?
    There's a B'n'B o the corner of Talbot St. and Gardiner St.
    There's another place on Talbot St., diagonally opposite, the Celtic bar or something.

The place on Talbot St is called O'Sheas.

I think Mother Red Caps in D8 does have a ceili upstsairs of an evening, as well.
    And O'Sheas on Merchant Quay.

I think Mother Red Caps in D8 does have a ceili upstsairs of an evening, as well.
    And O'Sheas on Merchant Quay.

Has it been demolished?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

IBB

(In Before Biko)

Cork_girl wrote: »
    Has it been demolished?!

:confused:

I'm out of the country.
    I'm relying on memory.

:confused:

I'm out of the country.
    I'm relying on memory.

I just did a quick google and there seems to be talks of it being demolished to make way for apartments.. I know that the Cobblestone has survived (just about lol) but not sure about the Mother Red Caps. Thanks though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Coppers.

Theres plenty of crack to be had up there!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

AH -> Dublin

I was going to post it there - the funny thing is most people living in Dublin don't really go to these things! All booked now though - thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Comhaltas in Monktown do it on Friday evening for tourists / students. €10 a head if my memory serves me right. They have someone there to teach the steps and a good musicians. 01 2800295

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Cobblestone does trad every night of the week. Top pub. Although is anywhere child friendly at night?

Jim wrote: »
    Cobblestone does trad every night of the week. Top pub. Although is anywhere child friendly at night?

I checked with the Arlington and it's fine she said - it's just one child with a group. Thanks for the replies guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭craoltoir

See www.setdancingnews.net for details of céilí's in Dublin and elsewhere.

Next Sat. St. Anne's GAA in Tallaght.

• Advertisement
Advertisement